• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The economics of Demand Responsive Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Demand Responsive Transport (DRT) was supposed to be the cheaper alternative to running empty buses in the evening and in rural areas. The bus/taxi would only run when passengers required it. Most areas seem to have given up on it, claiming that they are too expensive and even more expensive than traditional tendered services. However, Greater Manchester seem to have a very comprehensive network of 'Local Link' services with reasonable fares:

http://www.tfgm.com/buses/local_link.cfm

TfGM have withdrawn many tendered services and replaced them with Local Link. So how come they find it cheaper? Are these Local Link services well used?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Actually the Local Link services in GM have just had a huge cull (for example Standish), cutting excessive costing ones (for example some reached as high as £20 per passenger). Despite trying to push advertising their ridership has been falling heavily in recent years.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Our local schemes, Bwcabus and Bws Bach are still going in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. I have just received a new timetable update and, if anything, there are more areas covered now than there were last year.

This seems to be DRT as you need to book your trips in advance, though there are a number of set routes where the bus will run on certain days and then they can be used as a traditional bus service.

radamfi

Established Member
I would have thought routes such as these would depend on ENCTS card holders?

The GM schemes mostly cost £2 full fare and £1 for over 60s after 0930. None of them are free for ENCTS card holders. As these aren't commercial services, I don't see how ENCTS card acceptance would help their viability.

Status
Not open for further replies.