• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Essential Railway Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
I was giving some thought to what are the key books which every entusiast should read (and - ideally - have a copy), given the thousands of books published on the subject.

My list follows (and I'll add more detailed comments later):

Gerard Fiennes - I Tried to Run a Railway - Classic 'insider' account of the railway from nationalisation to Beeching and modernisation

Peter Rayner - On and Off The Railway - A worthy successor, covering modernisation to privatisation

LTC Rolt - Red For Danger - Marvellous history of railway accidents which describes how the railway changed in response to said accidents. Another true classic.

Rocksborough Smith & St John Thomas - Summer Saturdays in the West - Describes the way the railways of the West Country dealt with seasonal traffic, with detailed accounts of particular Saturdays in 1957 and c.1971. A different world!

The Beeching Report. Millions have a view on it, but how many have read it? If you study it you might be surprised how it may change your perspective.

Colin Gifford - Each a Glimpse - If you want a book of interesting photographs of the late steam era, this is the one!

I'd add a footplate memoir to the list, but you'd probably want to choose one from your own favourite area.

Two obvious gaps: 1. A standard history of railway operating (does such a book exist?) 2. A standard history of railway engineering (civil and mechanical).

Discuss!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

How about an entire collection of Ian Allan ABCs / Locosheds / Combined Volumes etc from your childhood..... they'll have to shoot me before I ever part with mine...!

;)

PS : a good selection of the trusty old Bradford Bartons wouldn't go amiss either, steam and / or diesel.

John Webb

Established Member
I'd hate to lose my copy of "The Oxford Companion to British Railway History" - not only does it have a wide view of the UK's railways but many useful references as well.
And the current copy of "Railways Restored" would be my second choice.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Apart from maps (especially the Ian Allan Pre-Grouping Atlas) and timetables, I am always using my copy of Passengers No More (Daniels & Dench), listing the dates of service withdrawals from 1923, with some great pictures.

Of the line histories, the recent book on the LNWR by Malcolm Reed is a splendid modern analysis of the most important pre-grouping railway, and links into all the adjacent lines (Midland, L&Y, GW, MS&L etc).

The book I really want to read hasn't been written yet (WCML since 1948)!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Charles Klapper "Sir Herbert Walkers Southern Railway" - the business history of all time.

John Davies "Valley Lines - The Peoples Railway" - ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.