• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The EU Referendum: How have you voted?

How did you use your vote?

• I voted to remain in the European Union.

Votes: 72 70.6%
  • I voted to leave the European Union.

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • I did not use my vote.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I spoiled my ballot paper.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I am not eligible to vote in the referendum.

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
After much deliberation, I went for remain in the end.

Not out of any faith in the institution, more neighbourly solidarity.

We'll still need to see how things pan out with further integration of the Eurozone and the balance of power this generates anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
It's obviously rather late, but isn't publishing this poll illegal until after voting closes?
No person shall, in the case of an election to which this section applies, publish before the poll is closed—
(a)any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted,

Railops

It's obviously rather late, but isn't publishing this poll illegal until after voting closes?

I have seen another forum where they have taken off a poll for that reason but as you say not much point in bothering now.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oops - didn't even notice there was a poll on this thread !

Isn't it possible for the OP to hide the poll until after 10:00 - even though it's a bit late !

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
I of course voted remain. It was, after all, the patriotic thing to do in the best interests of our country. I did so in the full knowledge of the EU works and it's relationship with the U.K. - factual information I was able to draw on based on 15 years of study of the EU's political system. This means I have a full appreciation of the EU's far from perfect nature, but also means I recognize the good it has had for our country's prosperity, its society and its global influence. For me, personally speaking, a vote for leave would would have have been a vote for isolation and a loss of control over our destiny, despite the rhetoric of the leave campaign. This to me seems inherently un-British.

Having observed the debate over the last few months I feel quite confident that many of peoples' concerns regarding the EU are actually better directed at our national government and national political system - it seems to me the EU has become a scapegoat for all the ills of our society. Whether we remain or leave, this isn't sustainable, nor is the wide lack of trust our society has in its politics. I hope this encourages some brave political leadership among our national politicians, and perhaps a greater appreciation by the public at large for the difficult job our elected representatives and public servants do.

Oh, and I cast my ballot using the pencil provided in the polling booth. Partly because I am not stupid, partly because I didn't have a pen on me, partly because if MI5 really wanted to rig my particular ballot paper then there are many more efficient methods available to them, but mainly because I can rest easy being safe in the knowledge that the use of pencils has never been an issue in any ballot in this country's long history... Ever.

Moonshot

Established Member
I of course voted remain. It was, after all, the patriotic thing to do in the best interests of our country. I did so in the full knowledge of the EU works and it's relationship with the U.K. - factual information I was able to draw on based on 15 years of study of the EU's political system. This means I have a full appreciation of the EU's far from perfect nature, but also means I recognize the good it has had for our country's prosperity, its society and its global influence. For me, personally speaking, a vote for leave would would have have been a vote for isolation and a loss of control over our destiny, despite the rhetoric of the leave campaign. This to me seems inherently un-British.

Having observed the debate over the last few months I feel quite confident that many of peoples' concerns regarding the EU are actually better directed at our national government and national political system - it seems to me the EU has become a scapegoat for all the ills of our society. Whether we remain or leave, this isn't sustainable, nor is the wide lack of trust our society has in its politics. I hope this encourages some brave political leadership among our national politicians, and perhaps a greater appreciation by the public at large for the difficult job our elected representatives and public servants do.

Oh, and I cast my ballot using the pencil provided in the polling booth. Partly because I am not stupid, partly because I didn't have a pen on me, partly because if MI5 really wanted to rig my particular ballot paper then there are many more efficient methods available to them, but mainly because I can rest easy being safe in the knowledge that the use of pencils has never been an issue in any ballot in this country's long history... Ever.

one of the better posts I have seen.

AntoniC

I was first person to vote at my polling station and the only way I could vote as Remain.

None of the negative campaigning by both sides of the argument influenced my decision, and I unfriended two people on Facebook because of the negative leave campaigning that they were pushing.

As someone who works in area that has seen the benefit of Europe money ( Liverpool ), I couldn't take a chance on taking a leap into the unknown, and hence I voted Remain.

Whatever the result, the future is going to be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.