• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The fire in 175 110 - update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Is it me or do 175's seem very prone to catching fire?

Unfortunately yes, 175109 caught fire on the 1636 Holyhead-Cardiff last year, and as the article says 175008 caught fire too. They've only been small ones though I believe. What's spooky, except for 109, is that both the units that have caught fire lately have both been painted in the former 'ghost white' livery!

Nym

Established Member
Last it's not the QSK19F that has issues, otherwise we'd be seeing a lot more engine fire issues, the N14 is only used in the 175...

TDK

Established Member
Is it me or do 175's seem very prone to catching fire?

If you look historically it is usually during leaf fall that the fires occur, I am not an expert but have investigated such things and if I was investigating these fires to prevent them happening again I would certainly look at the possibility of dry leaves being trapped under the train near the exhaust system or engine getting coated in oil or diesel and igniting!

Status
Not open for further replies.