• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Paid my £13.99 in Superdrug yesterday and had my flu shot. I don't think I've had so many injections since I was a child! Not had a sugar lump yet, though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Sounds less like flu and more like Norovirus. The short story paperback of flu-like viruses and not something anyone would want to contract during a loo roll shortage.
I wonder if that's the reason why so many people went daft and bought up so much toilet roll at the beginning of the Covid pandemic. While it was never diagnosed, I'm fairly sure I had a bout of Norovirus some years ago. Some of the symptoms were definitely flu-like, but they passed after a couple of days. I won't say much more for fear of straying into "too much information" territory, but one receptacle was insufficient!

Paid my £13.99 in Superdrug yesterday and had my flu shot. I don't think I've had so many injections since I was a child! Not had a sugar lump yet, though.
Nobody should be having to pay for this. If you were venturing abroad and willingly putting yourself in the position where you might contract some tropical disease, fair enough; getting vaccinated against a virus that can potentially be fatal on home soil should be free at the point of use, in my opinion. It may not be a big deal for some, but for others the best part of fourteen quid means cutting back on other things.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Very helpful post, I had not associated pseudoephedrine with Sudafed. You can also get it over the counter from pharmacists who don't check (it happened to me - fortunately I only took one dose before reading the leaflet; when you feel like you are at death's door the first thing you want is pain relief, not reading some leaflet in 6 point font).
In case anyone is unable to open the link:

Personally, I would have thought the the pharmacist should ask about underlying medical problems. And why it is in supermarkets - I could not see anywhere on the box where it says who should not take it?

When I was a teenager (about 16 I think), I took Sudafed. Physically I was fine but it caused me to have what I can best describe as an 'episode'. I was crying, shouting at my mum and really angry but not about anything in particular. And I had a feeling of depression for several days after. My mum said she'd never seen me like that before. 25 years later I still remember that 'episode' and while I cannot be sure that the Sudafed caused it, I've never touched the stuff since.

Typhoon

Established Member
Nobody should be having to pay for this. If you were venturing abroad and willingly putting yourself in the position where you might contract some tropical disease, fair enough; getting vaccinated against a virus that can potentially be fatal on home soil should be free at the point of use, in my opinion. It may not be a big deal for some, but for others the best part of fourteen quid means cutting back on other things.
Exactly. Barely a day goes by without at least one minister or public health official telling us to have our first dose/ second dose/ booster to 'stop the spread' of Covid-19. According to the NHS website
Flu is very infectious and easily spread to other people.
yet we are putting obstacles in the way of people being vaccinated. There are enough posts upthread indicating the debilitating nature of flu, I would have thought it was worthwhile giving the workforce a flu jab just to keep them at work

Pete_uk

Established Member
When I was a teenager (about 16 I think), I took Sudafed. Physically I was fine but it caused me to have what I can best describe as an 'episode'. I was crying, shouting at my mum and really angry but not about anything in particular. And I had a feeling of depression for several days after. My mum said she'd never seen me like that before. 25 years later I still remember that 'episode' and while I cannot be sure that the Sudafed caused it, I've never touched the stuff since.

That's interesting as I take that to stop 'the snots' and I do suffer a bit of depression. I'll have to keep my eye on that. Your post is inadvertently quite interesting, thanks.

dk1

Veteran Member
Wasn’t sure how much they cost as Abellio always pay for ours to be done at Boots which saves the NHS paying. As others have said, we have become pin cushions lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.