• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'The friendly guide to rail ticketing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
For those of you who don't know, Chester-le-Street station on the ECML is staffed by the independent Chester-le-Track group, who have also just set up office at nearby Eaglescliffe station too. Whilst browsing their website, I found this leaflet they do, entitled 'The friendly guide to rail ticketing'.

http://www.chester-le-track.co.uk/Docs/CLTFaresLeaflet.pdf

It is based on CLS for the later pages, but I think that the first page of that guide shown is certainly a lot more useful than a lot of other TOCs' literature.

Does anyone know of similar independent guides, or of any errors in the linked guide here?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They've not got the Oyster bus fare right! It was going to be £1.40 but was pulled back to £1.35 when the government ordered the fares revision to be redone at a lower percentage increase.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I've just noticed that's the alleged 2012 edition, then there's a footnote saying fares may change in May 2011...

wibble

First page references 'Family' and 'Young Persons' railcards, 'Standard Open' fares - despite these being renamed some time ago.

There are some errors with the PAYG/Cash fares:

- A Zone 1 journey paid by cash is £4.30 single
- A cash bus fare is £2.30, on PAYG it's £1.35

cuccir

Established Member
It's not bad at all, though inevitable for anything produced as a leaflet it will go out of date pretty quickly...

It probably shouldn't say Never buy a super off-peak single. Both East Coast (online only) and Grand Central offer good value super off-peak singles from the north-east, where this leaflet will presumably be distributed, to London (indeed on EC it is cheaper to buy two super off-peaking singles than a super off-peak return, if buying in advance). Perhaps 'watch out' for super off-peak singles which can be close to the price as a return is better advice!

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
First page references 'Family' and 'Young Persons' railcards, 'Standard Open' fares - despite these being renamed some time ago.

Not to mention the references to Cheap Day returns and Savers. I can see some people being very confused by this.

I'm sure they're supposed to mention what the cost of texting 84950 is too.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I also wonder how they are able to sell an Oyster for £20 with £5 deposit and £17 credit. There really should have been more proof-reading before it was sent to the printers.

That is not to say that it was not a good guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.