• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Frustrated Pensioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesS

An interesting converstion occurred one recent afternoon on the platform at Carnforth.
A lady pensioner and lady friend had just experienced an unusual ticket pricing conundrum.

The lady had asked for as single to Grange-over-Sands expecting to receive her 30% discount. She was told that it would be cheaper to buy an ordinary return - even although she was not returning.

"Why should a return ticket be cheaper than a concession single?"
"What a strange pricing situation!"
"I suppose I could give the return ticket away."

I suggested that she should not try to sell the return to a Revenue Officer.

?Only on British Railways? - I suppose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
An interesting converstion occurred one recent afternoon on the platform at Carnforth.
A lady pensioner and lady friend had just experienced an unusual ticket pricing conundrum.

The lady had asked for as single to Grange-over-Sands expecting to receive her 30% discount. She was told that it would be cheaper to buy an ordinary return - even although she was not returning.

"Why should a return ticket be cheaper than a concession single?"
"What a strange pricing situation!"
"I suppose I could give the return ticket away."

I suggested that she should not try to sell the return to a Revenue Officer.

?Only on British Railways? - I suppose.

How do you know she was frustrated?

(I've just got the image of the old Harry Enfield sketch with the two frustrated grannies in my mind.(

CNF - GOS £2.85 Anytime return with Senior Discount
CNF - GOS £2.60 Anytime single with Senior Discount.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just a random thought. Two ladies travelling? Would a Northern Duo return have been cheaper than 1x discounted + 1x public single?

SS4

Established Member
I'd hazard a guess it happens almost nightly in the West Midlands with the centro special

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm confused. Was the ticket for one person? In which case what ticket did they buy?

If it was a Northern Duo, then that makes perfect sense and should have been explained.

A single is £3.90 (undiscounted) or £2.60 (with a Railcard). Total £6.50 for 2 people (1 Railcard).
A Northern Duo return is £6.40.

It's effectively a (small) group discount, and if sold as such I can't see why anyone would find it odd.

Stewart

Typical railway pricing.

Imagine walking into a supermarket and being told a chicken breast is £2, but if you buy a bunch of celery with it, you might just get it for £1.80 so long as you walk through the tills between 4pm and 5pm.

Fricking stupid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Typical railway pricing.

Imagine walking into a supermarket and being told a chicken breast is £2, but if you buy a bunch of celery with it, you might just get it for £1.80 so long as you walk through the tills between 4pm and 5pm.

Fricking stupid.
Not in this case, no.

The equivalent (if we must!) would be a chicken breast being £2, and two being required but one customer has a 34% discount card for one of them, making the total £3.35. However there is a "Buy 2 for £3.25" offer, which is cheaper, and suggested at the checkout.

benk1342

Typical railway pricing.

Fricking stupid.

Actually, that sounds a lot like Sainsbury's meat aisle. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or being some kind of reverse sarcastic.

Stewart

Not in this case, no.

The equivalent (if we must!) would be a chicken breast being £2, and two being required but one customer has a 34% discount card for one of them, making the total £3.35. However there is a "Buy 2 for £3.25" offer, which is cheaper, and suggested at the checkout.

Sounds like someone is rather bedded to the railway system. This forum has both consumers like me, and vested interests, like yourself.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sounds like someone is rather bedded to the railway system. This forum has both consumers like me, and vested interests, like yourself.

To make it simpler, Northern should remove their Duo fare, making it more expensive for the pensioner.

Same old tired rhetoric I'm afraid.

cuccir

Established Member

Do you even read other people's posts?

The only possible problem here is that.the passengers havent had their purchase adequately explained to them - its not great that they seem to have come out of it a little confused! without seeing the transaction, though, its only speculation.

AndyLandy

Established Member
There's plenty of this about. I was at Deansgate and wanted to travel to Piccadilly (It was raining and I didn't fancy the walk). The single was £1.30, but I could get an "Evening Return" for 70p and throw away the return portion.

LesS

I understand that she was sold 2 separate fares. There would have been no discouts so both passengers would have paid the same.

Yes, it is very clear that the tickets and fares were not adequately explained.

From the above responses this type of situation happens regularly.
The lady was confused and did not understand a situation she was presented with. A situation which lacked clarity in itself.

craigwilson

There's plenty of this about. I was at Deansgate and wanted to travel to Piccadilly (It was raining and I didn't fancy the walk). The single was £1.30, but I could get an "Evening Return" for 70p and throw away the return portion.

This is the "Cheap Evening Return". Can only be purchased after 6:30pm (I think), and is half the price of a normal return. Outward travel must start before 9pm. Return valid to end of service that day.

Very useful for nights out in Manchester.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Typical railway pricing.

Fricking stupid.

Clearly you don't check your till receipts.

I take it you don't shop much?

On many occasions you will not even be told that it is the case.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well your name is Moir isn't it?

Then he would have to change his tag to "Geordie" (ok I know Moir is from south of the Tyne but the accent is close enough)

Ok to keep this simple I will give this following example. You do NOT have to agree with the principle but I defy anyone to say it is confusing.

e.g. The railway company offers these fares between two major towns:-

1) A single fare @ £12
2) A return fare @ £22
3) An off peak return fare @ £12.10 for travel after 09:30*

* What the company is stating here is that in essence if you travel off peak you get a return for the price of a single.

In addition to the above it is the company's policy to offer a "group save" ticket wherever an off peak fare exists where three or four passengers together can travel for the price of two. Offering a 34& or 50% discount as appropriate.

OK simple so far?

What do you charge three passengers travelling together (one of whom holds a Senior RC giving 1/3 off the public fares) for a single journey after 09:30?

There are a few options available, charge:-

1) 2x singles @ £12 + 1x Senior Single @ £8 = £32

OR

2) 1x "group save three" @ £24.20

Now option 2 is cheaper than option 1 even though it is for a return ticket and the Senior RC holder has forgone their discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.