• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future for Chiltern's Class 121 "bubble car" units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Given 20th May is League 1 Play-Off Finals Day at Wembley, and the severe restrictions on the use of the Bubble Car in passenger service at the South end of the route, having an "official" send-off is unlikely I would have thought.

RPM

Established Member
If they are going at the May timetable change, are they going to any sort of 'farewell' for them, perhaps on Saturday 20th May (although they don't normally run at weekends).

There is something planned. Watch this space..

KingDaveRa

I seem to recall seeing one of the bubble cars being used to drag part of a DMU out of the depot at Aylesbury a few years back. There was lots of noise and smoke, and not a lot of movement. Got there in the end though!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Looks like there will be a Chiltern bubble car tour on April 9th, organised by the BLS.

aylesbury

Shame to see the 121s go out of service,they are extremely old but comfortable.

Maybe they will end up at Chinnor were they would receive a great deal of TLC enabling a long life.

In a couple or so years services via Princes Risborough will increase with East West rail to Milton Keynes and possible electrification may happen sometime in the future.

Aylesbury is having work carried out at the moment so the station will be ready for new services.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If a 90mph Class 168 can do it in 1h40m with 5 stops, surely a 70mph Class 121 could do in 2h00mm non stop?

168s have a top speed of 100mph, which is the ruling speed from a point alongside Wembley LMD to about 3/4 of a mile short of High Wycombe, then from about a mile beyond Princes Risborough to Souldern No.2 Viaduct (about a mile short of Aynho Junction), then it's mostly 90 to Hatton, then back up to 100 to Acocks Green where it starts dropping down for the approach to Moor Street.

As for a 121 to Birmingham, they're essentially not (currently) cleared to operate South of Aynho in passenger service, other than Platform 1 at Princes Risborough through to Aylesbury Vale Parkway (and on to Claydon L&NE Junction providing nothing else is in section, other than to assist it if it fails), and to/from the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway.

No restriction applies from Aynho to Kidderminster, however...

As for a 121 to Birmingham, they're essentially not (currently) cleared to operate South of Aynho in passenger service, other than Platform 1 at Princes Risborough through to Aylesbury Vale Parkway (and on to Claydon L&NE Junction providing nothing else is in section, other than to assist it if it fails), and to/from the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway.

In standard passenger service, Class 121's are only permitted to operate from Platform 1 at Aylesbury to Platform 1 at Princes Risborough.

Special passenger operation from Platform 2 at Aylesbury to Quainton Road is by exception.

Empty operating is less restrictive, as per the previously discussed remarks about the ECS move from Aylesbury to Tyseley and back again.

There haven't been any breakdowns of such moves and I'm only aware of 3 'off patch' failures in the last 15 years or so, which is testament to the staff that work on them.

KingDaveRa

I'm not convinced 121020 has moved in quite a while. Every time I go down past the depot its in exactly the same position, whereas 121034 comes and goes.

RPM

Established Member
I'm not convinced 121020 has moved in quite a while. Every time I go down past the depot its in exactly the same position, whereas 121034 comes and goes.

121034 is getting more use at the moment certainly. 121020 has been out in service this year, but not for a week or two.

KingDaveRa

Given what they do (Aylesbury to Risboro and back), do both ever go out at the same time? If so, where would they be going? Or do they just get used interchangeably on the same route?

hougtimo

Eh? Why would they have spent all that money on overhauling the blue one last year for them to be taken out of service now??????

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Given that the 121 is a single-car unit, and Chiltern only operates them in the peaks; do passengers have to fight to get a seat?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that the 121 is a single-car unit, and Chiltern only operates them in the peaks; do passengers have to fight to get a seat?

No; they only operate on what is basically a Beeching escapee country branch line.

People forget just how rural Bucks is. Much more so than much of Northernland, say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BR60062

Maybe the Bubblecars could be used for driver training? Although I am assuming that perhaps a couple of Class 153's could replace them when other TOC's gain new rolling stock?

I am pleasantly surprised that the Class 121's are still used as I thought they were all scrapped in the 1990's when new DMU's like the Class 168's, Class 170's entered service. I know I am ignorant! :lol:.

No; they only operate on what is basically a Beeching escapee country branch line.

Well it can actually be fairly busy and full and standing on a couple of trips. Usually sufficient capacity for one car, but under for two cars.

Maybe the Bubblecars could be used for driver training? Although I am assuming that perhaps a couple of Class 153's could replace them when other TOC's gain new rolling stock?

They certainly have been used as such in the past. 960014 was latterly used as the bespoke Driver training vehicle, recent trips including Sutton Park diversions.

However the passenger bubble cars have their disadvantages for Driver Training, because the Guard's van precludes groups of staff from being able to sit down.

Without regular use though, even with any use for training, the staff who work on the units (inclusive of staff on all grades, i.e. Driver, Guard, Engineering) would fall out of competence reasonably quickly.

headshot119

Established Member

I am pleasantly surprised that the Class 121's are still used as I thought they were all scrapped in the 1990's when new DMU's like the Class 168's, Class 170's entered service. I know I am ignorant! :lol:.

Not very useful for training new drivers in handling, as they're nothing like modern units (Vacuum brakes and gears for a start).

For route learning they have a place, but you need to use it enough for the drivers teaching the route to keep up on traction knowledge.

Blue Bubble Car 121020 out this evening on the shuttles 21/03
The Green one 121034 was in the platform at Princes Risborough this morning around 9am.

NickBucks

I hope Martin Loader will not mind if I mention that he has posted shots of 55020 in service on the Aylesbury- Princes Risborough branch yesterday on his website ( www.Hondawanderer.com) and mighty fine they look too

The green one was in action today... didn't think they ran on Sundays?

Status
Not open for further replies.