The future for Chiltern's Class 121 "bubble car" units?

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by yorkie, 24 Feb 2017.

1. OneTrackMind

OneTrackMind Member

Sorry, that's my poor description, I was referring to the public one that NSEFAN has just mentioned above.

2. Lrd

Lrd Established Member Jobs & Careers Assistant

I understand now ;)

3. KingDaveRa

KingDaveRa Member

Station Road runs right alongside, and the palisade fence lets you see right through to the sidings anyway, so 121020 is very visible from there. Better than from the bridge I'd say.

Here it is on Google Maps.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2017
  4. NickBucks

NickBucks Member

There is a road access to Morrisons supermarket adjacent to Aylesbury depot from which it may be possible to see the bubblecar depending upon what other units Chiltern have on the depot. Alternatively there is a pedestrian bridge over the railway which is not railway property and you may be able to see it from there.

5. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I had a trip down yesterday to film 121034 in action before they finish in a months time, then back today for a ride

[youtube]rP2qmkmdTXI[/youtube]

6. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Does anyone know if normally the evening trains are busy? Planning a trip for next week.

7. Clip

Clip Established Member

I must remember to get over there for one last trip before these go - nice little video.

What has amused me over the years is those who complain so much about lack of correct information about the whats going on on the railways yet they never complain about the blinds on these being wrong. How odd.

8. plcd1

plcd1 Member

Great video and thanks for the reminder via this thread that I must go and have a ride before they disappear. :D

9. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

Some really lovely footage you've captured there Matt, It really makes me sad that this really is the final chapter for them.

10. Lrd

Lrd Established Member Jobs & Careers Assistant

I used it last week and there were about 10 of us on there. But most were enthusiasts and I can see it getting busier in the last month.

11. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Full this evening with the majority being enthusiasts

12. ChilternTurbo

ChilternTurbo Member

Quite a few commuters (myself included) on the 18:06 to AYS who were unable to travel directly to Aylesbury due to signalling issues and went via Princes Risborough. It was nice of the crew to have the blinds up in the cab which afforded a great view.

13. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Blimey, It was rammed. Wasn't too bad on the 1700 of to Aylesbury, busy busy back on the 17:26 to PRR. Was a very nice trip, very friendly and cooperative driver and guard as well (People who were onboard will know what I mean by that)! :p Destination blinds were changed each time the train switched ends which was nice!

14. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It was nice for them to wait for the late running 68 too for anyone needing the connection.

15. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Aye, I think they would do that anyway mind, As the next one would had been the 18:45.

16. 168lover

168lover Member

They normally do with sometimes even sending the 68 wrong road into P2 to connect to the bubble.

17. ChilternTurbo

ChilternTurbo Member

Indeed and something I've appreciated on a regular basis as the 17:21 invariably picks up delays given the lengthy dwell times caused by that rake of Mk3 slam door stock...

18. OneTrackMind

OneTrackMind Member

Official confirmation...

https://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/retirement-bubble-cars

19. JoeGJ1984

JoeGJ1984 Member

I don't know why they can't do a 'farewell' on the following Saturday, 20th May. I know the bubble cars need a guard who otherwise wouldn't be needed, but for a one-off they could arrange it - perhaps hae the bubble car run all day (as the current peak hours only operation makes it difficult to get cheap tickets to get to the area for anyone further afield). I think they did such a thing in 2010 for their 50th anniversary or something?

20. 150219

150219 Member

The farewell tour was on Sunday 9th April. As we run into the forthcoming month, Wembley Stadium has special events almost every weekend.

21. AnthonyRail

AnthonyRail Member

Must get up there for a trip

22. MatthewRead

MatthewRead Member

Wish they would have a proper sendoff on the 20th May.

23. Rhydgaled

Rhydgaled Established Member

Thanks for the reply. On your advice I decided to try the evening, aiming for the 18:06 PRR to AYS with a fallback plan of waiting around for a later trip if that was too busy. Having boarded with plenty of time to spare, I got a seat on the 18:06 last night just fine although by the time it pulled out it most seats had been taken by fellow enthusiasts. I also did the 0849 AYS to PRR (this morning) and there were only a few of us on board. All in all a very successful trip. With very few 'normals' on board, I wonder ig the number of carriages is likely to equal the number of passengers on occassion when the 121s have gone.

So, there's Pwllheli on the blinds as well. I wonder what the full range of destinations available on the blinds are; this morning it was showing Machynlleth at one end and Llandudno at the other? I assume it was a unit last used in north Wales which does not have AYS and PRR available on the blinds.

24. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

Someone with more knowledge may correct me if I'm wrong, but 121034 was previously owned by the Birmingham Railway Museum, who presumably fitted the destination blind, as it does have destinations relevant to that place on it. Presumably for authenticity, they fitted a blind that, besides those stations, also has all sorts of destinations that the units would really have worked to on it — many in Wales, many on the Great Western, and plenty of other peculiar ones. It certainly wouldn't have been a blind fitted when it was in "real" passenger service, as it has such a variety of destinations as to be ridiculous for that!

Last edited: 5 May 2017
  25. hotelmode

hotelmode Member

Sounds like a blind I have from the late 80s I bought at collectors corner.

I assumed it was a standard Tyseley DMU blind. It basically has all the Birmingham suburban destinations plus places further afield that were probably irregularly visited but not unheard of when Tyseley was the major regional DMU depot and stock wasn't allocated to small geographic franchises. It definitely has destinations as far afield as Bristol, Cardiff, Reading, Norwich, Holyhead, Skegness and others in addition to those mentioned above. There are articles on the web mentioning Tyseley DMU diagrams that took them to both Skegness and Aberystwyth. It's definitely authentic as I bought it direct from BR.

I'll find it tomorrow and look.

Last edited: 5 May 2017
  26. MatthewRead

MatthewRead Member

It's a shame they won't have a proper last day on the 20th May not all of us can afford the peak time fair I hope they release that!

27. MCR247

MCR247 Established Member

I'm not sure they're too fussed to be honest mate

28. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The unit should be running during the daytime on May 19th. In any case, those who can't afford the peak fare have 2 weeks to save up their pocket money. :P

29. ChilternTurbo

ChilternTurbo Member

I've seen the unit displaying West Midlands destinations such as Shirley and Four Oaks so imagine that it's one of those Tyseley blinds.
    Slightly off topic but I spent my pocket money on one of those exact blinds from Collectors Corner too. Having sold it last year on ebay for over £100 made me wish I'd purchased more!

30. 150219

150219 Member

The blinds fitted to 121034 are not BR originals, they were fitted when the unit was based at the museum.