• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future for Chiltern's Class 121 "bubble car" units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The family went on the last ride from Aylesbury to princes Risborough yesterday. They are now both retired and ready to be sold. End of an era. If you look up BBC south Oxford 19th may o iplayer you will find the farewell.

It would be helpful if you could post the iPlayer link. If not, at least specify the name of the programme that featured the farewell.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I don't know why, but you made me think that Bubbles is some sort of night venue!

I'm more than a little curious as to what you refer to, particularly as it's been a long time since I last went to Derby!

I think they refer to a massage parlour right opposite Derby Midland Station :lol:

KingDaveRa

It would be helpful if you could post the iPlayer link. If not, at least specify the name of the programme that featured the farewell.

Seems they're not on iPlayer. I've been digging around and they don't seem to do it any more with any of the news (regional or national). Certainly used to.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think they refer to a massage parlour right opposite Derby Midland Station :lol:

Interesting. Next time I happen to be in Derby for more than 5 minutes I may have to have a look at what it's all about. If I can distract myself from going to The Brunswick that is! :lol:

Oh, I think they cater for a different kind of basher at this fine establishment! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanburyBlue View Post
Not sure what it's called, or what Bubbles is? But there is definitely a chippy right opposite Derby Station. Not bad chips either.

Bubbles offers an entirely different kind of service for the weary traveller... (Allegedly)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seen this on the XC catering thread and made me chuckle! Never have checked it out myself though, -(yet!) :)

Last edited:

KingDaveRa

Just to bring things back on topic...

Anybody know how much a bubble car goes for then? I was wondering this earlier, and how exactly it works buying a train.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Clip

Established Member
No idea how much one would cost but you would have to factor in where you would keep it and the maintenance costs too

Kneedown

Established Member
No idea how much one would cost but you would have to factor in where you would keep it and the maintenance costs too

If the owner was intending to keep it operational, it might be an idea to buy both, with one as a source of spares.

Roast Veg

Established Member
What is the acceleration profile like for the little bubbles? How does it compare to a sprinter?

HainultLoop

I heard something about at least one of them going to the NRM…not sure how accurate that was though! I suppose it would make sense with the bubbles being the longest serving DMUs but it's pure speculation!

Last edited:

aylesbury

Don't bother with a stuffed and mounted 121; come to Chinnor and have a ride on our unit all the way into Risboro'.

We do a wildlife trip in ours as well. Maybe the Chiltern units will end up a line that wants to run shopper specials, as well as regular enthusiast trips, could be in Yorkshire maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

HainultLoop

I wonder whether it would be a possibility to keep them in mainline condition perhaps for a heritage line operating over NR tracks?

KingDaveRa

Well, for what it's worth I was just down at the Morrisons next to Aylesbury depot where the two bubble cars are now sitting in the sidings. As I walked past I noticed the engine running on 121020, the doors open, and a couple of chaps in hi-vis sitting onboard in the passenger seats. When I walked past again after leaving the shop, they were taking photos of the inside of 121034.

I guess there must be some sort of interest in them.

HLE

Established Member
Well, for what it's worth I was just down at the Morrisons next to Aylesbury depot where the two bubble cars are now sitting in the sidings. As I walked past I noticed the engine running on 121020, the doors open, and a couple of chaps in hi-vis sitting onboard in the passenger seats. When I walked past again after leaving the shop, they were taking photos of the inside of 121034.

I guess there must be some sort of interest in them.

Even with one of them having transmission issues they are maintained to mainline standards and will probably be in much better condition than bubble cars on preserved lines.

I imagine there is a lot of interest in both units.

Class 33

Established Member
I should have kept an eye on this topic!! I had for several years been planning on one day doing a trip to enjoy a return trip from Princes Risborough-Aylesbury on a Class 121 Bubble Car. Bit of a trek to get to from Bristol though for those two specific evening services. But it would have been worth it, about an 18 minute journey in each direction on one of those! As otherwise in recent years, the only time I've been on a Class 121 Bubble Car is just a couple of VERY short return journeys from Cardiff Queen Street-Cardiff Bay. Journey times of only about 90 seconds in each direction! No sooner had you sat down, and it's then time to get off! So a return journey from Princes Risbrough-Aylesbury would have been so much better. Was planning on FINALLY doing that trip next week. Anyway, I had a look at this thread a few weeks ago, and was absolutely gutted to find that their last ever days of services were on the 19th May!!! Too late for me now!

Oh well, not much I can do about it now! I'll just have to buy the new Chiltern Bubble Cars Driver's Eye View & documentary from Video. Which looks pretty good.

Any chance there will be a proper Bubble Car Farewell Tour?! Probably not I expect!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I should have kept an eye on this topic!
[...]
Any chance there will be a proper Bubble Car Farewell Tour?! Probably not I expect!

It happened in April, it was covered in this thread at the time...

Last edited:

KingDaveRa

I've noticed both units have been moved to the end of the siding. The shunter Lesley is now at the opposite end of the siding - considering how often Lesley moves, that's quite something in itself!

KingDaveRa

I don't know if anybody knows any more, but I noticed 121034 has disappeared from the siding. I don't know if it was in the depot, but it definitely wasn't there when I drove past earlier. Maybe it has found a buyer?

KingDaveRa

Just like the bubble cars themselves, this thread just keeps going...

Anyway, the 121 are gone! Does anybody know who their new owner is (or are, if they've been split up)?

HLE

Established Member
Could do with them on the Nuneaton branch locals at the minute.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Just like the bubble cars themselves, this thread just keeps going...

Anyway, the 121 are gone! Does anybody know who their new owner is (or are, if they've been split up)?

According to RI's Facebook page, 55020 to Bodmin and 55034 to become a route learner at Crewe.

Status
Not open for further replies.