• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Future of this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
.....I like the idea of showing somehow if the poster is a railway employee. It will be elitist a bit but I think it is a good idea.

....However, I don't think accrediting rail staff is the right move. There are people on this forum with all sorts of expertise - in law, government, business, planning and so on - as well as rail experts. They can offer equally valid information and I think it would be unfair to say that just because someone works for a TOC that whatever they say should be taken as gospel. ......
Yes, that is the problem. If people come to regard rail staff here as "elite", then debate could be stifled, and differing views unjustly ignored*. On the other hand, in some of the long-running threads, it would sometimes have been informative if one's suspicions that the two sides of a debate were simply rail staff and others could have been confirmed ;)
*On general matters such as pricing strategies or network theory. If a railman tells me that, eg, a particular signal means a particular thing, I will never question her.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't believe they are too overloaded with work, you have to remember that many of the mods and admin, do have a full time job or have other commitments.

I personally feel they do the best they can.

Agreed.

I'm a "mod" on another forum and there are times when I visit the site, see a bunch of "flagged" posts that need looking into/ some "PMs" from angry members and get a sinking feeling...

...the "mods" on here are doing a great unpaid job in their spare time - can't fault them.

when we had a survey in December last year, 91% of people thought the moderating was 'about right' with the remaining 9% being split almost equally between 'too harsh' and 'too lenient' - we will never keep everyone happy

:lol:

I've been told that "you can't say anything on here any more" (because everything is censored, apparently) and "none of the mods ever do anything" in the same post on another forum - you'll never win with some folks...

The staff bashing must be very annoying for the staff but I must say it is very often equalled by the train user/passenger bashing. It definitely works both ways but it does seem that rail employees do get very defensive and I can very often understand it as usually we get only one side of the story

This is true.

There are good/bad passengers, good/bad enthusiasts and good/bad staff. Some staff are knowledgeable about many areas of the industry, some are knowledgeable about their own neck of the woods, some aren't - I'm not a fan of the "Four legs good, two legs bad" attitude that seems to be growing on here - there are a variety of people with a variety of knowledge.

LE Greys

Established Member
Yes, that is the problem. If people come to regard rail staff here as "elite", then debate could be stifled, and differing views unjustly ignored*. On the other hand, in some of the long-running threads, it would sometimes have been informative if one's suspicions that the two sides of a debate were simply rail staff and others could have been confirmed ;)
*On general matters such as pricing strategies or network theory. If a railman tells me that, eg, a particular signal means a particular thing, I will never question her.

I agree with this. Firstly, I am also not a railwayman, and would never pretend to be. The nearest I've been is volunteering at Didcot a few times. I do know a lot about railway history, but am constantly finding things out as well. I also know quite a lot about operations, some of which I learnt from members here who are railwaymen. A good deal of the rest comes from books by such people as Peter Semmens or A.S. Peck.

Thing is, it is important to know the limits of one's knowledge. Just because one can work out the power-to-weight ratio of a vehicle, that does not compare with someone who has actually driven the thing and knows how it copes with slippery rails. I also have no particular understanding of (or interest in) the costs of something, so it's best to leave that to someone else.

However, 'armchair experts' like myself do have their place. Sometimes, the view from inside can be limiting, and I hope that a different perspective can give a clearer overall picture on some things.

VTPreston_Tez

I feel that a 'railway expert' title may be a possibility, and just a possibility. Everyone must have their equal shout even if they don't know what they're doing, it helps them in the long run. This needs to be solved before we can go further as a forum I think.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I feel that a 'railway expert' title may be a possibility, and just a possibility. Everyone must have their equal shout even if they don't know what they're doing, it helps them in the long run. This needs to be solved before we can go further as a forum I think.

There have been different "titles" given by the forum administrators in the past to certain types of members, so I am led to believe, but I have only been a member since April 2011, so I am unable to comment Perhaps someone of long-standing forum membership could make a posting to clarify what matters used to be like in this respect.

Ivo

Established Member
There have been different "titles" given by the forum administrators in the past to certain types of members, so I am led to believe, but I have only been a member since April 2011, so I am unable to comment Perhaps someone of long-standing forum membership could make a posting to clarify what matters used to be like in this respect.

We used to have titles such as "Passenger" and "First Class Passenger", through various job titles, right up to "Works for the DfT!" - and then "Posts Too Much" (and "Posts Far Too Much", which you and I would have). However, it was alleged that newer members may believe those titles were related to occupation and post counts, even though to many of us it was pretty obvious what they were for - so the administrators decided to do away with them, and introduce the far more restricted set we have now (initially without "Established Member").

These were entirely related to post counts.

LE Greys

Established Member
We used to have titles such as "Passenger" and "First Class Passenger", through various job titles, right up to "Works for the DfT!" - and then "Posts Too Much" (and "Posts Far Too Much", which you and I would have). However, it was alleged that newer members may believe those titles were related to occupation and post counts, even though to many of us it was pretty obvious what they were for - so the administrators decided to do away with them, and introduce the far more restricted set we have now (initially without "Established Member").

These were entirely related to post counts.

I think that was a sensible decision on those grounds. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it probably started as a joke (I got up to "Driver Manager", I believe) but it seems as though some people might have not realised that.

gswindale

It is a hard balancing act to get right.

I don't post much - mainly lurk & only post when I have a query or believe that what I am thinking will contribute constructively to the discussion.

My main reason for browsing is to increase my knowledge of the rail industry as from the outside it can be confusing. Therefore I am grateful for the rail staff present who give their insight as to how it all works.

However, there is always a case for "how it works" and "how it could work better", which does not always appear to be appreciated. I don't know why that would be? Possibly a natural resistance to change, maybe a reluctance to take advice from an independent observer?

I do sometimes feel, when reading through posts, that some rail staff members would prefer it if this forum was restricted to "their kind" only. That is understandable at times, but it can be intimidating for new members who might not fully understand why their post has generated the reaction it did.

I think the suggestion mentioned of a polite pm to new posters on controversial subjects is quite good, however it would be hard to implement as you could end up with 50 of the things.

Maybe some sort of "qualification" system could be used - similar to that in the fares forum? That way we could see who knows what froma guard's perspective rather than a generic rail staff classification?

GB

Established Member
That's interesting, which topics/posts led you to believe that some would prefer it rail staff only? IMO, the day that happens is the day this forum will go (rapidly) down hill.

telstarbox

Established Member
I don't think that's the case. Staff who thought that way could always set up their own forum where you have to show a PRIV card or a T-key to join!

district

- I think some of the problems that have been described have been blown out of all proportion by some members who expect moderators to instantly take action. I think it needs to be remembered by all that there are more than one moderator and discussion between them should take place to give a better and clearer response.

- Some members have said that the forum is 'anti-staff', and while there may be some users who believe (rightly or not) that they know 'better', there are also some staff who are anti-customer, I am acting here as the 'devils advoate' by saying that it works both ways.

- A 'railway expert' user title, or similar, would in my opinion cause more troubles than it is worth. 'expert' is a very subjective title as I am sure you would agree, and while one user may be an 'expert' at signalling, they may know little about rolling stock. It would be surely impractical to run several 'expert' schemes for different topics - who would run it, who would qualify for it? It is too much effort that would yield little result.

- It is sad to see that some members believe that being young automatically means that a member would cause trouble, not be knowledgeable or even may be hostile towards other members, including rail staff. This is a stereotype of young rail enthusiasts which should stop. I came across a older rail enthusiast who was rude to rail staff on a platform I was on. However, I have not made a generalisation.

The forum is run by a competent team of people who all have their own lives to lead. They are not paid, they work from home and I am sure have other commitments and responsibilities. They cannot be reasonably expected to monitor every post in every thread in every sub-forum for every hour of every day. Even if the forum employed a team of moderators this would still be difficult. I think some members should realise and appreciate the hard work running a popular internet forum entails. It is time, energy and commitment which can be belittled by those who think they know better.

To illustrate this, when I first joined Rail UK I was involved in a thread in which a number of users accused me of being anti-staff or 'staff bashing'. Some of the comments that were made in that thread deeply upset me. I brought it to the attention of the forum staff who dealt with it promptly and robustly. I did this by using the report function built into the forum and it was dealt with quickly. Instead of complaining and moaning about it, or threatening to leave, I dealt with it in the way I should have by reporting it and it was rectified very quickly.

To conclude, I think some members need to realist the affect of what they say on other members. Rail UK is a fantastic online community with a large knowledge base across the railway community and that includes those who work on the railway and those who do not. Each member is entitled to have a say, has an opinion and it is the very nature of 'debate' that causes disagreements. It would be naive to think that everyone would agree with you, every single time.

District

chris89

Established Member
Just going to Pick and choose these points as agree with District.

- Some members have said that the forum is 'anti-staff', and while there may be some users who believe (rightly or not) that they know 'better', there are also some staff who are anti-customer, I am acting here as the 'devils advoate' by saying that it works both ways.

As said it does work both ways and happens on any forum you may visit and each have the own way to deal with it. I've only seen bit and pieces of that really but one reason why i avoid WNXX - Due to various threads i have seen on it.

- A 'railway expert' user title, or similar, would in my opinion cause more troubles than it is worth. 'expert' is a very subjective title as I am sure you would agree, and while one user may be an 'expert' at signalling, they may know little about rolling stock. It would be surely impractical to run several 'expert' schemes for different topics - who would run it, who would qualify for it? It is too much effort that would yield little result.

Couldn't agree more.

- It is sad to see that some members believe that being young automatically means that a member would cause trouble, not be knowledgeable or even may be hostile towards other members, including rail staff. This is a stereotype of young rail enthusiasts which should stop. I came across a older rail enthusiast who was rude to rail staff on a platform I was on. However, I have not made a generalisation.

I myself have come across that feeling because i was one of the younger people at a Preserved Railway and sometimes get it on many forums as you are believed not to know anything at all. Like wise i have come across many older people who are as Childish or more so then the people they accuse of being so.

To conclude, I think some members need to realist the affect of what they say on other members. Rail UK is a fantastic online community with a large knowledge base across the railway community and that includes those who work on the railway and those who do not. Each member is entitled to have a say, has an opinion and it is the very nature of 'debate' that causes disagreements. It would be naive to think that everyone would agree with you, every single time.

Very true point that. As for Rail forums this one has made me at least feel the most welcome and people normally quite quickly answer any questions very fast which is great and nice to be a part of a community for. Also by not getting iffy or sarky replies to my Grammer or my Spelling and so on.

For other forums im begining to lose more and more intrest in due to various reasons one of them seemingly being a complete and utter bias towards some posters etc.

Chris

O L Leigh

Established Member
Think about it - 'on moderation'.

The whole point of that is that it limits what your contributions, by making sure only the posts worthy of being posted get through. If everything was approved instantly, there'd be no point in being on it, you'd just keep posting and posting and posting! I am speaking as someone who did two long, painful bouts on it. Think about what you say every time you type. Make sure it is relevant, understandable and worthy of being posted. Think of it as almost like writing for a magazine - only your best work makes it through and it takes a while for it to get there.

It isn't a punishment, it is there to help you. The delay is there to limit you and make you used to posting less frequently but posting of better quality. However, it will only work if you let it. I would strongly recommend you do not complain about the time it takes for it to be approved, if it is worthy of being approved, it will be, and you'll feel all the better for it when you come off it.

You say you've been on moderation, but your experience seems very different.

I have been on moderation too, and I'm afraid that I can identify with what VTPreston_Tez is saying. Whatever you say about it not being a punishment, it is NOT there to help a member or to try and get you used to posting less frequently. Nor is it there to approve the quality of posts. I'm glad you've got a positive perspective on this matter, but it is your perspective and not necessarily shared by the current staff of mods and admins.

I've experienced a fairly lengthy period of what I called "moderation lag" while waiting for a single innocuous post to pass inspection. It was several weeks and a number of reminders by PM to the mods/admins between posting the message and it appearing online.

If a member has been placed on moderation then surely it is the job of the mods/admins to check their posts and either pass them or deny them. This is not unreasonable. Unfortunately the current mods/admins seem to be almost exclusively reactive and reliant on us to report issues of concern, but when proactive action has been taken it really should be followed through.

If you recall, on 23rd March 2012, yorkie made a posting on Forum Updates to say as a result of increased forum administration requirements, that Mike395 was becoming a new administrator. The last new moderator appointed was Greenback not too very long ago.

Yes that's true.

However, what made me giggle about the process of recruiting additional mods were the requirements that were considered to be necessary (click). Quite frankly they seem to have been written in such a way as to exclude large numbers of potentially very good candidates. Personally I would rather we had more mods/admins with some experience of resolving disputes and interpreting (and applying) rules and regulations than someone who is simply a friend of the existing staff with nothing better to do, who goes on meets and can be trusted to string a coherent sentence together.

Cynical...? Me...?

That's not to say that the current crop of mods/admins fit that description, but those are effectively the recruitment criteria as stated by Yorkie.

Perhaps it's also worth pointing out that when we had a survey in December last year, 91% of people thought the moderating was 'about right' with the remaining 9% being split almost equally between 'too harsh' and 'too lenient' - we will never keep everyone happy.

"There are three types of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics." Benjamin Disraeli

Quoting bald stats like that is virtually meaningless. I would suspect that about 90% of the members who express a preference have never been subject to moderation. What would be more interesting is the satisfaction level of those who HAVE been subject to moderation, although it would be hard to collect such information as a proportion of those you'd want to sample will have been banned or simply left and, therefore, unable to respond.

O L Leigh

David

Established Member
I don't think that's the case. Staff who thought that way could always set up their own forum where you have to show a PRIV card or a T-key to join!

It already exists, it's called Railchat ....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
However, what made me giggle about the process of recruiting additional mods were the requirements that were considered to be necessary (click). Quite frankly they seem to have been written in such a way as to exclude large numbers of potentially very good candidates. Personally I would rather we had more mods/admins with some experience of resolving disputes and interpreting (and applying) rules and regulations than someone who is simply a friend of the existing staff with nothing better to do, who goes on meets and can be trusted to string a coherent sentence together.

Cynical...? Me...?

That's not to say that the current crop of mods/admins fit that description, but those are effectively the recruitment criteria as stated by Yorkie.

O L Leigh

It could be worse, I could still be a part of the moderation team :P

swj99

I was reading the thread on haunted railways the other night. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27768

Now the thing is, that thread was started in 2009. This says to me that forum arguments are nothing new, here or anywhere.
I think one thing worth emphasizing is that it's better not to get emotionally attached to a particular outcome. Becoming upset if someone expresses a different viewpoint would be an example of this. You can't change someone's mind by telling them they're wrong. In fact that just guarantees to cement their opinion even more. All you can really do is say what you think, and leave people to either believe it, agree with it, or not. A recent example of this for me would be in a thread about the recession on another forum I'm on. I quoted a piece of text about money and how interest is charged on loans. And I guess it was lost on some of the people who read it. Nobody on there has said anything to suggest they clicked the link to the website I quoted from. I was hoping they might, because I'd like to think other people would find it as useful and / or enlightening as I did. But I can't make them read it, or agree with me, they either will, or they won't, and there's nothing I can do about it. There's no point in me losing any sleep over it is there, because if I did, I'd just be burning energy trying to control the uncontrollable.

No-one needs to feel that they aren't wanted here, or that they need to leave. Everybody has something of value to say and to give, even if sometimes nobody is acknowledging it.
For anyone who might find themselves feeling unappreciated, ask yourself why you are here, or more specifically why you do what you do. Are you in it for the applause, or just because it's a good thing to be doing, or the right thing to do ?
I remember a really wise man I met when I was too young to appreciate the wisdom. He didn't have anything to prove, he didn't have a need to be right, he didn't even need to keep saying the same thing, because once he'd said it, that was enough and he didn't actually talk a lot about nothing. But everything he did say counted. One thing I remember him saying was that sometimes even he got fed up and had to retreat to somewhere quiet while he sorted things out in his head. He described it by saying he had been peopled. If just one person on here can relate to that, then it will have been worth me remembering it for the best part of 25 years. ;)

scotsman

Established Member
The staff bashing must be very annoying for the staff but I must say it is very often equalled by the train user/passenger bashing. It definitely works both ways but it does seem that rail employees do get very defensive and I can very often understand it as usually we get only one side of the story.

I wonder what the ratio of total passengers at any one time to total staff at any one time. I bet it's a very high ratio. Therefore you'd expect more of it - and, given that most bashing is undeserved, you'd expect much more of it to be deserved - especially since staff are trained to do their jobs.

Firstly I've got big respect for the rail staff who enter into discussion on the forum. It must be frustrating offering your perspective from the inside but then having to defend yourself against enthusiasts who haven't "been there" but think they know better.

This. And I'm not even staff.

HowMuch?

I hope this is clearing the air a bit, and also making us all think about how to ensure we don't come across as saying something we don't mean to. There are enough times when we DO mean to make a point strongly, without letting minor criticisms come across as major ones, or ill-thought-out "witticisms" coming across as vicious digs.

I know just about zilch about how trains and associated technology work, and in my unguarded moments (like now) I will cheerfully admit that it is actually a miracle that any of this stuff works at all, let alone gets so many people to the right place at the right time. I know that those of you who make it happen must be clever, skilled, and dedicated, or it would all stop in about 5 seconds. Thanks.

I'll still moan about techie things that I don't like. EG not getting a GPS signal in modern trains really DOES reduce the pleasure I gt from a journey - it might seem whiney to you, but it really DOES matter to me. I assume that most of you are interested in what customers think, and want to run a railway that suits as many people as possible. That's meant to be a compliment. See, some shops I go in are so BAD that I don't bother complaining, because I don't give a hoot whether they lose ALL their customers and all their money - I won't miss them. It's the shops I LIKE where I complain, the ones whose service I value and I want to see do well.

But when I do complain, it's never about an individual. I know all about off days and just, mistakes. And I've worked in a large organisation so I know that even when everyone WANTS to do well by the customer, there's often a corporate mindset, or a set of procedures (or sometimes, pressure from way above, from people who never see a customer and haven't a clue what they need) that get in the way, for all sorts of historical reasons. I've done quality-assurance roles, and I know that sometimes crticism from outside is very useful as a lever to make improvements that you couldn't kick off yourself.

Please note that I've often made comments on here about GOOD service I've had, or just nice people I've met who clearly were born to do a customer-facing role - not just because they are good at it, but because they LIKE people and clearly get a little buzz every time they make a customer's life that bit better. (One of my pet hates is people who look smart and who can recite the "professional" words, but who clearly don't really give a monkey's - give me a scruff with a genuine smile any day, they are the ones who will try to help you when something goes wrong).

OK, enough of how brilliant I am. I can't promise my jokes will always be in the best taste, and I can't promise not to be grumpy when CrapTOC has got me home late once in a while. And I CAN promise that I won't keep quiet if I think something is wrong for pasengers. BUT I will try not to sound as though only my opinion could possibly be right, and I will try to remember that most of you staff do really want to do a good job, and that even Mr Grumpy or Mr Bossy is probably really nice when he doesn't have to deal with me!

Johnuk123

Established Member
The one thing that spoils this place is the complete and immediate closing down of the slightest little bit of humour.

Everybody knows the best forums are always the ones with a bit of fun in them now and again.

I like the fact that this place is quite civilised unlike other places.

I don't see how the official "we won't stand for humour in any form" rule enhances it in any way whatsoever.

Schnellzug

Established Member
The one thing that spoils this place is the complete and immediate closing down of the slightest little bit of humour.

Everybody knows the best forums are always the ones with a bit of fun in them now and again.

I don't see how the official "we won't stand for humour in any form" rule enhances it in any way whatsoever.

I must admit I do sometimes get the feeling that 'frivolity is Frowned upon', particularly the way that threads such as the erstwhile "what's on your mind" and "random thoughts" were not only closed, but deleted from existence altogether. I do sometimes can't help get the impression that there is sometimes an element that thinks that anything to do with Railways is far too serious and important to waste time with Frivolity.

Butts

Veteran Member

I think in reality "the rule of law" is not always applied, and humorous asides are permitted in moderation (forgive the pun :oops:)

Johnuk123

Established Member
I must admit I do sometimes get the feeling that 'frivolity is Frowned upon', particularly the way that threads such as the erstwhile "what's on your mind" and "random thoughts" were not only closed, but deleted from existence altogether. I do sometimes can't help get the impression that there is sometimes an element that thinks that anything to do with Railways is far too serious and important to waste time with Frivolity.

Exactly, that is a perfect description.

It's a forum about railways, that doesn't mean it has to be devoid of any humour.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

This isn't true.

If you post a useful reply to a request for information, and add some humour, then that will nearly always be absolutely fine (It's always a good idea to use the ;) emoticon when joking, as you can't easily tell tone from just words).

As for this place being civilised, and full of helpful, useful information, it's only civilised and helpful, due to the moderation!

I have sent you a PM about the particular post you are unhappy about.

Johnuk123

Established Member
This isn't true.

If you post a useful reply to a request for information, and add some humour, then that will nearly always be absolutely fine (It's always a good idea to use the ;) emoticon when joking, as you can't easily tell tone from just words).

As for this place being civilised, and full of helpful, useful information, it's only civilised and helpful, due to the moderation!

I have sent you a PM about the particular post you are unhappy about.

Fair enough.

SS4

Established Member

Those threads were removed because the forum was running out of bandwidth: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59364

You're always going to get some people who don't like change, perhaps because they feel forced out or it lost its previous atmosphere/camaraderie. I'd not dwell on it too much

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The threads you mentioned became inappropriate, and were to some extent used as a (very) personal discussion for a small group of people on nothing in particular.

As we said in the announcement we made at the time:

...We would like to remind all members that the main purpose of our site is to discuss railway related topics. We do not think it is appropriate to have threads of a very general nature, which often become little more than personal conversations, although we have no wish to prevent debates or discussions of specific subjects, particularly those relating to topical events.

As an example, we would welcome a discussion about a film that has recently been released, but threads such as "How are you feeling now?" have no specific topic and are therefore liable to becoming personal discussion.

We would therefore be grateful if threads of a very general or personal nature be avoided. Other forums or forms of social media may be a more appropriate method of communication for such subjects. The admin team reserve the right to delete any threads that are considered to be too unspecific or random.

There are many alternative places where such discussions would be more appropriate.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Some others will remember a while ago that a faction of members here were unhappy about the future of the forum, as they felt it was too 'formal' and wanted the 'chat' area to remain so they had somewhere else to be childish. They split off to form a new forum, and that's turned out to be a successful and vibrant place to visit :|

Now we have another group of members who feel (when you get to the nub of it) that it is unfair that the forum will tolerate criticism or 'staff-bashing'. I also appreciate and wish to distinguish between some members of staff who will hear no wrong against the railway, and those who are willing to hold the hands up on behalf of their profession and colleagues when it is at fault. My ire is entirely directed at the former group of individuals.

We should also face another fundamental fact. We are all here because we have some form of pride, passion, love and fondness for the railway. We come here to air our views, discuss ideas and meet common ground with common people. I would suggest that this forum is a lifeline for those who are unable to display their affection for the railway in real life.

And let's not also remain under the illusion that the railways are perfect. They're not! And when that former group of individuals tries to justify with "that's how it's always been, that's how it will always be" its no wonder it can get other peoples backs up. For those staff members who talk frankly and justify, I thank you. For those who just argue blindly, don't act surprised when someone else retorts.

This forum is nowhere near a crisis point. It is successful, vibrant and strides ahead with the fares and ticketing knowledge. I see no benefit in having a member of railstaff on the moderating team, nor do I expect the quality of the forum to nosedive should a few staff members leave. Nonetheless everyones contributions are welcome and I hold respect for those staff who continue to post in a just, balanced and friendly manner.

Oswyntail

Established Member
.....As for this place being civilised, and full of helpful, useful information, it's only civilised and helpful, due to the moderation!....
I think I know what you are trying to say. But i would point out that the majority of posts on here, and posters, are civilised and helpful without moderation.

richw

Veteran Member
At the end of the day this is a public forum, and people will always have differing opinions, the most interesting parts of the forum is when there is a large scale debate going on over some subjects.

455driver

Veteran Member
humorous asides are permitted in moderation

Are you trying to say that the moderation is a joke? ;)

Only joking, and yes I do see what you mean! :lol:

The trouble with posting humour is that the "way it is said" is lost and it can come across as being nasty so I can understand why it is kept in check.

Ascot

Established Member
I do find there are a large number of people in the hobby we all share that just can't grasp sarcasm. It's just something we need to accept and get over.

Some others will remember a while ago that a faction of members here were unhappy about the future of the forum, as they felt it was too 'formal' and wanted the 'chat' area to remain so they had somewhere else to be childish. They split off to form a new forum, and that's turned out to be a successful and vibrant place to visit :|

Is that still going?

I agree with your post, there are phases/groups that come and go here so it'll only be a matter of time before history repeats itself. Out of interest isn't there a staff only forum already?

Status
Not open for further replies.