• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Germans are on strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

HA25322

See here.
http://www.dw.de/initial-gdl-strike-targets-deutsche-bahn-freight/a-17892092

Initial GDL strike targets Deutsche Bahn freight

Workers represented by the German train drivers' union have gone on strike in a dispute over salaries. Talks between the national railway operator and the unions that represent its employees collapsed in August.

The nationwide strike was to take place between 6 and 9 p.m. (1600-1900 UTC) on Monday, the GDL union announced in a statement. The strikes will mainly affect freight operations, according to the GDL, which represents 80 percent of Deutsche Bahn's train drivers and 30 percent of all other staff.

On Monday, the union announced that it had called the strike as part of its efforts to secure a 5 percent raise for workers. "With this strike time, the GDL takes into account the many weekend travelers who use the train on the first day of the workweek," the union announced in its statement. "The first strike will mostly affect freight rather than passengers," the GDL announced.
So according to the union it will not really affect passengers mainly freight.

But as booked they are the talking out of their proverbial. Just had a look at Hamburg live departure screen and it shows delays of 200 minutes plus. Same at Frankfurt. And all over Germany I suspect. Cheers then GDL. NOT.
As booked and typical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
Here in Düsseldorf it was stand still as well. And the GDL Leader Klaus Wiloszky managed to insult all handicapped employees in a speech is well.
GDL is known to be very aggressive and is taking their conflict with other rail unions to the passenger :(

theblackwatch

Established Member
One of our forum staff has been stuck stuck in Hamburg (attempting to get to Hannover) - will hopefully get away soon. How much notice do unions have to give over strike action over there?

duesselmartin

Established Member
the first I heard was this morning, and it was totally unclear on what trains or what regions would be affected. Most unions give plenty of notice, but as said, the GDL is somewhat unpredictable.

HA25322

It has been a couple of years since the GDL went on strike so they were due one. I thought it was EU law that they had to give notice????? And more than a few hours at that. And how does it not surprise me that the GDL head says passengers will not be inconvenience yet they most certainly were today. Like I said ...... as booked.

theblackwatch

Established Member
And even those trains now running are somewhat late, so not even only inconvenienced for the 3 hours...

Oscar

Fares Advisor
the first I heard was this morning, and it was totally unclear on what trains or what regions would be affected. Most unions give plenty of notice, but as said, the GDL is somewhat unpredictable.

I've just been caught up in this in Hamburg. I was told there were S-Bahn services between 18:00 and 21:00 so caught a bus. After that services were resumed (but not all at full frequency). On departure screens the strike was referred to as a "Warnstreik" - "warning strike" or "token strike".

Last edited:

D6700

I got caught up in this whilst travelling from Budapest to Bremen.

After making it most of the way to Hannover without a hitch, my ICE made an additional call at Gottingen. We then had a slow run to Hannover, where my +13 connection became -6. I dashed to the correct platform, in case it was a bit late or being held and for a short time was initially pleased because it was still on the board.

However, I then discovered my train was running nearly 3 hours late due to a strike! That was 20:45 IC for Emden. The 21:21 REx was cancelled, as was the 21:41 ICE. I ended up on the 22:21 Rex, finally arriving into Bremen at 23:50, 2 hours late.

At Bremen, there was a very big queue at the information booth...

duesselmartin

Established Member
its not the fact that GDL strikes, its the way they do it annoys. They as a small union can cripple the system, the delibirately misinform and refuse to come to an agreement with other unions. That is all not part of Germany's strike culture.

quarella

DB don't need a strike for delays like that in my experience!

Sorry. I forgot. Every train in Europe runs like clockwork and only British trains run late.

Jordy

Established Member
It was me that theblackwatch was referring to, I arrived sometime around 1900 and eventually left on the 2126 Sleeper which was running around 30 late. There may have been some departures before this but I left the station between 1900-2100 having decided to hide in the pub!

nw1

Established Member
Only ever caught one ICE and it didn't go anywhere because the computers had crashed!

Well my experience of German railways (four trips now from the UK, and some intra-German travel) has been good.

The thing that the German system has going for it over ours (away from large urban centres) is *integration*. Even where there are private railways (e.g. parts of Bavaria), timetables and fares appear to be basically decided by the state and just contracted out to a private operator - all trains have the "Bahnland Bayern" logo on them irrespective of operator. Kind of like London. I might be wrong here but that was the impression I got.

Generally, that part of Europe covering the Netherlands and the German-speaking countries appears to me - and I may be wrong - to have a much more positive attitude to public transport and also to other activities like cycling.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
In general German regional transport is excellent, though it suffers in some areas from the phenomenon of 2 for 3 replacement (as happened with Sprinterisation here) and consequent overcrowding. I have mixed views about Intercity travel - ICEs score on comfort, but ICs are often short formed and punctuality on both can be erratic.

duesselmartin

Established Member
My experience is that the quality of train travel is rather mixed. Commuting is expensive and there is certainly more demand for P&R.
Intercity trains are a rather mixed bunch. With some excellent modernised stock but also a lot of old-non air conditioned stock, especially on the weekend only services. There is certainly a desperate need for the new ICx stock to be delivered.
Punctuality certainly has room for improvedment.
Martin

blackfive460

GDL announced today that they are going to ballot members and have said that it will take 'til 2nd October before they can call any more strikes. They need 75% of the membership to vote in favour.
If they get a vote in favour, they'll be able to have strikes longer than the 3 hour stoppages they've had so far and some sources are suggesting they'll come out for a full week!
Guess where I'm going in October...

Clip

Established Member
Ouch. Im off in November so fingers crossed everything can be sorted out amicably(not being selfish like)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
GDL announced today that they are going to ballot members and have said that it will take 'til 2nd October before they can call any more strikes. They need 75% of the membership to vote in favour.
If they get a vote in favour, they'll be able to have strikes longer than the 3 hour stoppages they've had so far and some sources are suggesting they'll come out for a full week!
Guess where I'm going in October...

This is disappointing news, as all being well I am off to Germany in October too.

The main journeys could be done by coach I suppose. Hope the Harz mountains Steam Network won't be affected.

It must be me, I was in France a few months ago when their trains were partly on strike too.

HA25322

Lets just hope that they vote no. I am off to Germany in November so obviously do not want to be stuck.

blackfive460

Well, it's not looking good.
GDL went back into negotiations with DB last week but after 5 hours, both DB and the union made statements that the time was wasted with GDL adding that DB had wasted their last chance to settle this. (See GDL's own web site http://www.gdl.de/).

Although it seems likely that they will, even if they don't get the required 75% voting in favour of more action, more strikes of some sort seem to be a certainty now and as neither side want to give ground, this could go on for ages.

Mind you, DB don't need strikes to cause delays these days. Regional and local services are still pretty good but you can almost guarantee delays and cancellations with EC, IC and ICE services.

I've just switched my late October jaunt and instead of Germany, I'm off to Austria and Switzerland; after what I experienced in September, I'm not risking it!

Last edited:

HA25322

Typical GDL. Always blames everyone else except themselves. It was exactly the same the last time they were "on strike!"
Unfortunately I cannot really change my plans so I have all fingers and toes crossed that it is either sorted or they don't get the necessary amount of votes.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Strike announcement are likely to be made on tuesday. If you are travelling on thursday, I would look for a coach alternative now. They are likely to be heavily booked.

blackfive460

And so it begins...

GDL have called the first nationwide strike from 21:00 this evening until 06:00 tomorrow morning.

Clip

Established Member
So they are not giving very much notice then?

blackfive460

They didn't give much notice for the previous strikes so that's hardly surprising.

However, fear not, for any longer strikes, DB are working on their 'Notfahrpläne' intending to use...

Can you guess?

Buses!

Glad I changed my travel plans for the end of the month. This could go on for ages...

Clip

Established Member
Ahh brilliant. Busses sound just amazing. Couldnt change our plans as hotel non refunable but I guess we'll take out chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.