• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Grand Farewell Sunday 17th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

STANDISH

Charity Rail Tour using the Grand Central Stock. Starting at Newcastle, picking up at Sunderland, Hartlepool, York, Doncaster and Sheffield and visiting numerous bits in between including Roberts Road Depot.

Full details can be found at

https://www.branchline.uk/home.php

Click fixtures tab

On line booking now available on the BLS web site

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
A Grand Central HST on the Hope Valley line (and the Denton branch - there can't be many HSTs that have traversed that!) will be an unusual sight.

STANDISH

Hi Sprinter Guy. HST's on Hope Valley ,when they ran diversion services from Man Picc to St Pancras but not in recent years.

I also suspect HST's have run Stockport/ Man Vic, when Man Picc. has been closed. That has certainly been done by Voyagers in the past. Somebody will be long shortly to tell us when the last HST ran this route.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Hi Sprinter Guy. HST's on Hope Valley ,when they ran diversion services from Man Picc to St Pancras but not in recent years.
Yes, I had the 'Project Rio' services in mind when I made that comment, but that was some time ago, and it's certainly well away from the usual stomping ground for one of the black and orange Grand Central sets.
I also suspect HST's have run Stockport/ Man Vic, when Man Picc. has been closed. That has certainly been done by Voyagers in the past. Somebody will be long shortly to tell us when the last HST ran this route.
A quick Google search has revealed to me that an East Midlands Trains HST operated over the Denton line on a railtour from St Pancras to the East Lancs Railway on 12th October 2013. I haven't been able to establish what else there might have been.

Last edited:

Thebaz

Must have been 2004 - I went to Manchester on one for a job that I was on. They ran non-stop from Leicester to Stockport via the Erewash valley. I can't remember now why trains weren't going from Euston to Manchester, but it was for quite a lengthy period IIRC.

On Moderation
Must have been 2004 - I went to Manchester on one for a job that I was on. They ran non-stop from Leicester to Stockport via the Erewash valley. I can't remember now why trains weren't going from Euston to Manchester, but it was for quite a lengthy period IIRC.
Project Rio ran during West Coast Route Modernisation from May 2003 through to September 2004.

wensley

Established Member
'The Grand Farewell' is only two days away ... Ican confirm 423 / 480 allocated, all things being equal, with set GC02. They have just left York on the way to the Cross in fine form.

A few people have been asking about the auction items - passengers will be able to bid for a class 180 cab ride from York to Kings Cross, original "Peter Fox" nameplate, one of the special "The Grand Farewell" headboards, a footplate experience on a HARSCO stoneblower, and a 1,103 mile epic cab ride experience with our friends at VTEC from Kings Cross - Inverness and then Aberdeen to Kings Cross with an overnight stay in Inverness and rare track at Inverness and Aberdeen depots (oh, and a go on the IEP Simulator at Newcastle)!

Oh, yes and there is a raffle with over 30 prizes with the top prize being a cab ride with GBRf !!!

Oh, and a chance to purchase strictly limited edition souvenir mugs, badges, window decals and GC branded materials

Oh, and a chance to celebrate the 10th Birthday of GC

And finally, an opportunity to support some really good causes whilst bashing some rather rare track such as Ryhope Grange Sidings, Roberts Road Depot, Sheffield Down Station Siding.

Places available in Standard Class only - please book online at www.branchline.uk

Part fares also available by request.

Status
Not open for further replies.