• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Grand RailUK Fantasy Football League

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
THE 2017-18 LEAGUE TABLE:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1toJxHxJVKazuwfYzWkeS5rQBP3mXMbXoFcV6FPkv7N0/edit?usp=sharing

The 2016-17 table:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ItokYXjzeH7lUZ0ex92nHsvFnER8iaXhIpom_bWe6Ao/edit

The 2015-16 table:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GVpYxWXb9Rrr8U7O_FAeU53uE/edit#gid=1455948725

Split from the thread 'Football'

We need a RailUK fantasy league! Winchester City, Hyde United, York City, Fort William, Oldham, Chesterfield, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Dover Athletic, Chelsea, Hull City, Oxford United, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Macclesfield Town, Scunthorpe United, Blackburn Rovers, Rangers, Hull United and Rothes? Probably not in that order, though!

EDIT: Probably more like this:

1. Oxford United
2. Hull United
3. Rangers
4. Winchester City

----------------------
5. Derby County
----------------------
6. Dover Athletic
7. Hull City
8. Liverpool
9. Hyde United
10. Macclesfield Town
11. Huddersfield Town
12. Chesterfield
13. Scunthorpe United
14. Blackburn Rovers
15. Aston Villa
16. Chelsea
17. Oldham

---------------------
18. York City
19. Fort William
20. Rothes

A win means one point, a draw means 0 points, and a loss means -1 point. These results are taken from each team's league matches: for example, if Liverpool win a game in the PL, they gain one point. Adding or taking away only one point means that there is less maths to do.

The current season ends after the May 2016 timetable change. The bottom three teams will be 'relegated' to the fictional National League Reddish South and will not appear in the next competition, which begins immediately after the last. The top 4 teams 'qualify' to the St Pancrions League (the Champions League) and the fifth team 'qualifies' for the Waverley league. These are only recorded in order to see who the 'champions' are; the top team will be recorded as the 'Champion' every year, cue lots of bragging from its forum supporters.

Four more teams can be nominated (which will mean an adjustment to the amount of teams going down/up if this target is reached). Any more nominations will go through to be 'promoted' for the next season.

Does this work as a concept? Should it go ahead?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
We need a RailUK fantasy league! Winchester City, Hyde United, York City, Fort William, Oldham, Chesterfield, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Dover Athletic, Chelsea, Hull City, Oxford United, Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Macclesfield Town, Scunthorpe United, Blackburn Rovers, Rangers, Hull United and Rothes? Probably not in that order, though!

EDIT: Probably more like this:

1. Oxford United
2. Hull United
3. Rangers
4. Winchester City

----------------------
5. Derby County
----------------------
6. Dover Athletic
7. Hull City
8. Liverpool
9. Hyde United
10. Macclesfield Town
11. Huddersfield Town
12. Chesterfield
13. Scunthorpe United
14. Blackburn Rovers
15. Aston Villa
16. Chelsea
17. Oldham

---------------------
18. York City
19. Fort William
20. Rothes

A win means one point, a draw means 0 points, and a loss means -1 point. These results are taken from each team's league matches: for example, if Liverpool win a game in the PL, they gain one point. Adding or taking away only one point means that there is less maths to do.

The current season ends after the May 2016 timetable change. The bottom three teams will be 'relegated' to the fictional National League Reddish South and will not appear in the next competition, which begins immediately after the last. The top 4 teams 'qualify' to the St Pancrions League (the Champions League) and the fifth team 'qualifies' for the Waverley league. These are only recorded in order to see who the 'champions' are; the top team will be recorded as the 'Champion' every year, cue lots of bragging from its forum supporters.

Four more teams can be nominated (which will mean an adjustment to the amount of teams going down/up if this target is reached). Any more nominations will go through to be 'promoted' for the next season.

Does this work as a concept? Should it go ahead?

I've done it slightly different ranking teams on percentage of points available won due to the vast difference in number of games won to make it a more fairer outcome
Excel attachment of my system attached.

Attachments

• rail forum fantasy league.xlsx
    10.2 KB · Views: 38

backontrack

Established Member
Cool. In that case, would a different document be uploaded here every week so that fans can edit it? And is this in all competitions or just league?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We need three more teams as well. How about adding Manure, just for laughs? That's unless we get more nominations, of course.

You're free to nominate Manure if you want. ;)

Cletus

Established Member
League games played
Dover Athletic 25
Liverpool 14
Not bad going

I'm going to put my money on Rangers winning richw's league. :)

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
League games played
Dover Athletic 25
Liverpool 14
Not bad going

My money is on Hull United to win and gain automatic qualification for richw's European league

backontrack

Established Member
League games played
Dover Athletic 25
Liverpool 14
Not bad going

Not just his ;). It was my idea, after all.

Rich has done an excellent job of putting it all together, hopefully York City will have a great comeback... :lol:

Darlington's now in the league, so we need three more teams.
My money is on Hull United to win and gain automatic qualification for richw's European league
IT WAS MY IDEA! OUR LEAGUE! <(:p

Could Brighton be added?

Of course! Just added, now we need two more teams!

Brighton could be a title contender...

richw

Veteran Member
Not just his ;). It was my idea, after all.

Rich has done an excellent job of putting it all together, hopefully York City will have a great comeback... :lol:

Darlington's now in the league, so we need three more teams.

Just looking through this thread, we have some Newcastle, Bournemouth and Brighton supporters so maybe they could be added.

I've saved the excel file, it won't take much to edit. It took me longer finding the current tables for each team than inputting the data.
Using two screens certainly made it easy enough to do. Leagues on one screen, excel on the other.

backontrack

Established Member
I'll just add those now then :smile:

Mind you, it won't be much of a challenge. Newcastle will win for sure... :lol:

NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED.

Any more nominations will go towards next year's (from August onwards) season - if this thing takes off. It will end in May and start in August, when the Premier League finishes and starts respectively.

Cletus

Established Member
Hull United needs changing to Hull City though. Unless there's an obscure non-league team there?

backontrack

Established Member
EDIT:

I've now created the full table. It's at the bottom of the post.
Don't worry if you have Numbers, the file should be automatically converted.

HOW THIS WILL WORK:

Every weekend, as you post about your football team, you'll have the ability to add its result into the table. Don't forget to add to the 'games played' column!

League matches count, as do domestic cup and trophy competitions (e.g Johnstone's Paint Trophy). European competitions do not count - sorry, Chelsea fans!
Remember, if adding in a cup result, to change the goal difference too.

WE MUST HAVE A RESULT FOR EVERY TEAM, SO DON'T OMIT IT IF YOU LOSE! DON'T CHEAT AND CHANGE THE GOAL DIFFERENCE OR POINTS TALLY DELIBERATELY, OR YOUR TEAM WILL FACE A POINTS DEDUCTION!

We won't bark at you if you do this accidentally, but it will be corrected.

The competition ends in May after the last match of the Premier League (or, if your team qualifies, the FA Cup Final or the promotion play-offs). Top teams will be added to joke leagues for bragging rights (top 4 in St Pancrions League, 5&6 in Waverley League), but the bottom four will be relegated to the dreaded National League Reddish South. Those joke leagues count for nothing, but relegated teams will be replaced by four freshly nominated teams who haven't featured yet.

If all goes well, then the second season will commence when the Premier League starts in August featuring those four new teams.

-Tied places for joke leagues/relegation will be decided on goal difference
-If a team goes bust, it will be replaced by a wildcard entry which will carry on from the bankrupt team's place using its points tally. So, for example, if Rangers went bust while they were in the league, then a random team (let's choose Ross County) would replace them and would either take over where Rangers left off or have entirely its own points from the season so far. We'd decided which only when or if the bankruptcy happened.

Attachments

• rail forum fantasy league - excel.xlsx
    483.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Is "Points Difference" meant to be goal difference? To make this easier to edit I've also uploaded it to google sheets so it can be edited by anyone so take care to make sure nobody else has already edited it - I've put a column with time and date edited so update that?

Also I've changed the points tally to be a formula now so just edit win/lose/draw and added a sort by points then goal difference then wins

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HQYMryQSjqyuOBRdJnEVZGs_KsDqlad-D078MWt6ynQ/edit?usp=sharing

@backontrack: If I'm stepping on your toes please let me know and I'll remove/edit the document

richw

Veteran Member
Is "Points Difference" meant to be goal difference? To make this easier to edit I've also uploaded it to google sheets so it can be edited by anyone so take care to make sure nobody else has already edited it - I've put a column with time and date edited so update that?

Also I've changed the points tally to be a formula now so just edit win/lose/draw and added a sort by points then goal difference then wins

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HQYMryQSjqyuOBRdJnEVZGs_KsDqlad-D078MWt6ynQ/edit?usp=sharing

@backontrack: If I'm stepping on your toes please let me know and I'll remove/edit the document

I think should be sorted by % available points rather than actual points otherwise we will end up teams unfairly disadvantaged by being in a league with less games. Rangers are clearly the leading team by results, yet come fifth at present on nature of fact they have played 8 less games than 1st.

backontrack

Established Member
No. It will be a collaborative effort.
'Last edit was made 59 mins ago by anonymous'

Why are they targeting us? :shock::shock::shock::lol:

Aaargh! Change it back!

Please!
Sorry for technical issues, but I hope this works. I've incorporated richw's original table, and I've followed SS4's great idea of putting it on Google Sheets so that we can all edit it. Thanks, guys!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9Rrr8U7O_FAeU53uE/edit#gid=1455948725&vpid=A1

Hopefully, it'll all be fully automated...

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I've just added formulas so the points total and percentages all automatically calculate, as do the games played.

All that should need changing is W, L, D and Goal Difference.

(Does it auto save - I'm not familiar with using Google Docs)

backontrack

Established Member
I've just added formulas so the points total and percentages all automatically calculate, as do the games played.

It all auto saves - provided your internet signal hasn't given out. You'll see text saying 'all changes saved in Drive' if it's saved, as opposed to 'saving' or 'reconnecting'.

SS4

Established Member
No. It will be a collaborative effort.

Why are they targeting us? :shock::shock::shock::lol:

Aaargh! Change it back!

Please!
Sorry for technical issues, but I hope this works. I've incorporated richw's original table, and I've followed SS4's great idea of putting it on Google Sheets so that we can all edit it. Thanks, guys!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...9Rrr8U7O_FAeU53uE/edit#gid=1455948725&vpid=A1

Hopefully, it'll all be fully automated...

Someone got there before me it would seem. In all honestly %points is better anyway for the reasons richw points out. It may need to be sorted each round though (assuming it changes of course)

It does auto save.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
My nomination (for next season) is Grimthorpe City from the Billy the Fish movie.
Can we have it so teams are managed by forum members in some way?
And Hull United should be called Hull Tigers as the Hull boss wats that to be City's name.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'll just add those now then :smile:

Mind you, it won't be much of a challenge. Newcastle will win for sure... :lol:

NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED.

Any more nominations will go towards next year's (from August onwards) season - if this thing takes off. It will end in May and start in August, when the Premier League finishes and starts respectively.

Did you add Darlo?

richw

Veteran Member
Who decided to put Hyde United in this league?

Will the actual league position in the table automatically update after a result is added?

I think it was a case of the most talked about 24 teams in the football thread that got selected.

Unfortunately requires manually sorting every time an update is made at the moment, for those familiar with the documents it's a two click process.

Did you add Darlo?

Yep, mid table I think from memory at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.