• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great British Transport Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
And no Isle of Man - England link - but very impressive

I'm sure there is a case for Fishguard to Holyhead as well - save having to go via Ireland and on having to rebuild Carmarthan-Aberystwyth

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

squizzler

Established Member
I understand the worst foreign secretary in my lifetime has attempted to associate HS2 with a high tax economy in his usual Monday wibble. Unfortunately it is behind a paywall, the internet's little way of suggesting you might have better things to do, but if you must you can sign up and read it here.

The other say I met a pair of highly effective HS2 warriors and they told me a tale of incompetence so blithering that it made my blood run cold. I checked it out and it was true in every particular.

Effective? How so? Last time I checked it was going ahead!

Anyway, this "incompetence" turns out was insufficient power supply for the (politically determined) tunnelling operations under Ruislip. This is apparently just a big extension lead - like I say the article is not worth your time.

Someone should pay the price for this mistake. Someone should walk the plank. Will they? Hell no.

This from somebody whose entire political career has been a masterclass in not paying for mistakes or walking metaphorical planks. How interesting. I'm no psychologist but apparently projecting one's own failings onto another is a well known phenomenon in that field. Perhaps we can all be excused for thinking that the right wing establishment's ire against HS2 has something to do with deflecting from their own totemic grand project: dropping out of the EU. The very same accusations being made against so-called "Brexit" - a costly and damaging half baked vanity project - are exactly the same ones as being levelled against HS2 by people like Boris.

sprunt

The other say I met a pair of highly effective HS2 warriors and they told me a tale of incompetence so blithering that it made my blood run cold.

Was it about someone who thought a cable car from nowhere to nowhere else was a vital part of a major city's transport infrastructure, I wonder?

MarkyT

Established Member
Was it about someone who thought a cable car from nowhere to nowhere else was a vital part of a major city's transport infrastructure, I wonder?

Oh didn't you know that was just phase 1 of his high speed cable car from Docklands to Boris Island where I assume he already has a secret lair?

squizzler

Established Member

If you are referring to my Worcester thread in "speculative ideas" category, I thought your implication that Worcester was a "nowhere" to be a bit harsh. I'm sure a resident would set you straight in no uncertain terms!

Don't forget that discussion is still live here (six pages and counting!): https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...foregate-with-cable-car-to-shrub-hill.161804/

Gathursty

Established Member
A bridge to Orkney does look like something worthwhile and not too outlandish compared to the other lines drawn on that map. I do wonder if Orcadians would want their island to be linked to the mainland in that way though?

Status
Not open for further replies.