• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great BVE 4 Frame Rate Experiment

What was the max frame rate you got on Aln Valley?

• 15 or less

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 16 - 20

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 21 - 25

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 26 - 30

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 31 - 35

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • 26 - 40

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • 41 or more

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • YES, I achieved acceptable rates

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • NO, I thought the frame rate was unacceptable

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eezypeazy

In recent weeks, there have been debates about frame rates going on in various forums, so I thought I'd see if you'd like to take part in a little experiment in order to gather some real evidence.

I'd like us all to drive the same short route, in the same train. Then, make a note of the MAXIMUM frame rate you achieved, and put it in the poll. Do the same for each machine on which you run BVE 4.

So, if you haven't already got it, visit my website and download Aln Valley for BVE 4. Then, edit the route file to drive it with the recently released ONE class 156 DMU. (If you've already got this excellent train, please make sure you drive the route with the unmodified, "as is" train originally downloaded). Before you drive the route, turn off as many other applications as you can, thus freeing up as many resources as possible for BVE 4. Drive the route observing the 25mph speed limit, and the other 10mph limits. The route should only take you about six minutes to drive.

At the end of this short experiment, we should gather information about the frame rates real users are achieving, regardless of machines and specs. Hopefully, this will assist route developers in building routes that most people can drive.

eezypeazy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TAS

Aln Valley is the best route for framerates I get. I get a max of 50 insead of 30 framerates!
Thomas

LondonBVE

I usually get 10-15 for every routes after i update my graphics card, before updating it was 18-20. Don't know what happen?

richa2002

Established Member
Hasn't anyone else realised that when you turn on the FPS option using F2, the FPS drops dramatically so does not give an accurate representation ?

eezypeazy

Richard Armstrong said:
Hasn't anyone else realised that when you turn on the FPS option using F2, the FPS drops dramatically so does not give an accurate representation ?
Err, sorry to sound thick, but how would you know?

Also, does viewing the time and throttle/reverser/brake display also affect frame rate?

eezypeazy

Tom B

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
60FPS is what I get, but then again I do have a nice CPU now.

Oh really? I don't think you mentioned it?

Boxcars

O.K. Eezypeazy. I've voted on your poll. I went with the middle result of the three I was telling you about.

Dave A

Cockfosters said:
Oh really? I don't think you mentioned it?
:lol: :lol: ;)

I think you should just build the route the way you want to. Frame rates are a problem, but in the end, if people want to run a game on a computer, they should have a decent enough one in the first place!

Remember, evolution is part of life. If nothing ever evolved, we wouldn't even exist. If computers were never improved, BVE wouldn't be like it is today!

LondonBVE

Personally I don't think Framerates is a problem to me though all my routes framerate is 12 fps to 13 fps but never mind to me is normal. So I don't think Framerate is really a problem. Anyway good luck to your Aln Valley upgrading. Hope to see it soon.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.