• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donbacsi

So Brasov is in! Kudos to Scooter's quick thinking. What is the new part of that schedule?
You can get some decent plonk in Brasov but do you want to slog it around all day? I think not. Which brings up the Q of lockers there. I know nothing about them, but if you are taking the cable lift to the top of the mountain, or planning on navigating the narrowest street in the world, (much narrower than the little lane in the A-dam red light) then you will probably want to check the bags. Get on it.
The best Tokaj is the Eszencia which is really for taking home and putting in your drinks cabinet. The 6 puttonyos will be sweet enough to induce a diabetic coma. As for reds and whites, you really can't lose in BUD. Don't forget the ginger ale.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mark_Lester

The sched is just to jump ship at Brasov, supposed to get in about half nine. muck about there til mid afternoon then get the train to Bucharest for mid eveing.

They have some decent Muscatel stuff in Romania. My memories are 20 years old though. It was a case of "if there's food in a shop, buy all you can". All I intend on doing there is going straight to old square, making camp in soe cafe, and small parties can go off and have a look about while some people mind all the stash.

Yeah ginger ale. 2 of the gang are tee-total anyway (the booze budget will be seperate from the food). Everything will be for drinking at the time. Anyone buying nick-nacks wil be sent home.

Donbacsi

There is a very good, largish restaurant on the square just a little north of the Black Church, and just beyond the little street that dead-ends on the east side of the square. It is furnished hunting lodge style with the obligatory antlers, etc. You can get a decent Hungarian hot meal there (not the standard Romanian cow tripe with fried corn meal mush) and it has a large wine cellar with several Last Supper tables for the 6-7 glass wine tastings they offer. You will get a discount for so many people. I am willing to bet if you get the tasting and meal the MGR would lock up all your junk while you peruse the town.

Mark_Lester

What's it called ?. We will be a little early, train gets in at 9:30. We can get the 16:35 into Bucuresti. I just did a google street view walk round that square. Times have changed.
Here's the tripadvisor page, do any of these ring a bell ?
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...asov_County_Central_Romania_Transylvania.html
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have started talks with these guys
http://www.sergianagrup.ro/restaurante/restaurantul-sergiana-brasov.aspx
http://www.kismetdao.com/brasov/trains.html this page says we need reservations on this brasov-bucuresti train which I think is a "Rapid". It may be sufficient to sort this out when we get to Brasov.

Donbacsi

Obviously the schedule has radically changed since we last sketched out the buy in B-pest. Where does it stand now? When is you next major re-fuel now that Milan is out? Roma? Does this have any impact on the buy? Previously when you laid it out you were planning on buying food in Turkey or some other grotty place. But now you obviously need goods to take you much farther.
You say you want the best in wines, which I can do ...at least with the reds. Whites are really not a problem, since you are not going to get a bottle of weasle p*ss in Budapest. Since you have radically and sensibly cut back the sight seeing in the city I think I can put together a deal which will take very little time and hook you up with a case of the very best Villany wine, which is to say the very best reds in Hungary. It will be a little pricier (maybe a lot) than the plonk in the tourist shops, but still substantially cheaper than a London high street, assuming you could even find this stuff there...which you can't. There is even the option to have a nice, hot sit-down meal with fine wines there if you like. If you want it I'll give details to slot into the city schedule.
Regarding the restaurant in Brasov: I can't remember or track down the name, but it is very easy to find if you follow my directions. However, as you said, things have changed there. I note they even have a KFC (bleah) there now.

defitzi

Obviously the schedule has radically changed since we last sketched out the buy in B-pest. Where does it stand now? When is you next major re-fuel now that Milan is out? Roma? Does this have any impact on the buy? Previously when you laid it out you were planning on buying food in Turkey or some other grotty place. But now you obviously need goods to take you much farther.
You say you want the best in wines, which I can do ...at least with the reds. Whites are really not a problem, since you are not going to get a bottle of weasle p*ss in Budapest. Since you have radically and sensibly cut back the sight seeing in the city I think I can put together a deal which will take very little time and hook you up with a case of the very best Villany wine, which is to say the very best reds in Hungary. It will be a little pricier (maybe a lot) than the plonk in the tourist shops, but still substantially cheaper than a London high street, assuming you could even find this stuff there...which you can't. There is even the option to have a nice, hot sit-down meal with fine wines there if you like. If you want it I'll give details to slot into the city schedule.
Regarding the restaurant in Brasov: I caall this n't remember or track down the name, but it is very easy to find if you follow my directions. However, as you said, things have changed there. I note they even have a KFC (bleah) there now.

mark only found here now bujt it and blog have been fascinating reading. Had I known of this when you were planning I'd have signed up will-nilly..alas now i am 76 and feeling my age a bit i must resort to dreaming.
thing is i'm niot a great internetter just found it at the tail of my time hence never know where to go for this and that but if you bloged the story of le grand voyage i'd love to rad it. I keep working out trips ( of hugely lesser stature) for myself but I live in Northern Irelad which adds to the cost and diffs of everything so when it comes to booking it all inevitably crashes!" Best I can do is usually buy a senior citizen in France and use my discreet camping car to drive to a jump off point and take it from there you just cannot trust Rail Europe or SNCFto do anything about finding the cheapest...they's now hijacked the inter Cities into uppriced formulae. Best i find is to route on the hoof from one local to another. Germany is much better and also Austria one gets REAL help if buying locals in person or deals like week-ender ..... it the getting there. Extended is a bit dificult as being aged needs solo room hostel dorms aint really for decrepits. But oncethere much becomes possible...again much thanks for the big read where can i find the story of the trip then?

Donbacsi

The trip doesn't start until July, so there is nothing to report except for the wool gathering in preparation. You seem a winsome old guy. Perhaps if you begged they might let you tag along on one leg of the trek. Be advised however, they are mostly from the northlands so you will probably find they have stolen all your swag, your pork pies and will leave you penniless and naked in some grotty foreign town.

Glenmutchkin

Now there's an idea. We could sit in the bar for 16 days and have videos of 24 different countries played in order as we quaff. It would solve all of the left luggage issues at a stroke.

mickpop

Time to come out of cryogenic suspension. I've renewed my passport having discovered that I only had one page left - too many bloody Indian visas! Got the 48 page version just to be on the safe side.We had dinner with my brother and his wife last week and she made the mistake of asking me where I was going on my next trip. By the time I had got to the Balkans I could see my sister-in-law's eyelids drooping.

I am also on a diet. The experience of getting into a three tier Indian sleeper berth and talk of couchettes on this trip convinced me that doing an impression of a bulky letter being slid into a narrow envelope was not attractive.

Glenmutchkin

Sixteen people were eventually ordered off the train, and two were issued summons for disorderly conduct. One person was treated at the scene for minor injuries.

Sounds pretty tame really.

Don

Our Leader Who Must Be Obeyed is currently somewhere in the Far East* on a culinary secret mission. He has promised to break cover when money is required but otherwise may be missing for a while.

How urgent is the wine decision? Does it involve a FOC tasting?

* Further east than this lot. http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/

Donbacsi

Glen: In the words of that great bard of our age, Eddie Izzard. "Quad the FOC?" Free of charge...really?
Here is the situation: I can get really great red at a case price. Several levels of quality. But the restaurant/vineyard owner probably doesn't want a dozen northland mooches coming in for a free slurp test unless they get a meal. A quick hot plate such as Hortobagy Palacsintas (sort of like a Hungarian Enchilada in a piquant paprika sauce) could be arranged. On the other hand, he is known to be generous as the result of high praise and prospect of return trade. I have no doubt several of you will return to Budapest and the fabulous wines.Let me know of thoughts and budget.

Glenmutchkin

Don

You misunderstand me. I wasn't thinking of the common herd being offered gratis vino. I was just thinking that a discerning member of the cast could try this stuff out on their behalf.

Once you have negotiated this our behalf I will forward my delivery address.

pp The Laird

P.S. Happy to have free meals delivered also.

Donbacsi

Again the parsimonious Scotsman rears his pretty little face (see definition #2 above). And I suppose you will want to pay with Scottish Bank Notes? There are several ways this thing can be played: either the mob goes in for a last minute hot meal before descending into deepest, darkest Balkans, or two gun bearers could go taste and fetch while the others proceed to the Great Market.

Mark_Lester

Does this site help us any with the Croatian bus trip? http://www.autobusni-kolodvor.com/en/timetable.aspx

Nicked off one of Burns20's threads
I think we need someone on the ground at this stage. This list shows no buses for 6 hours between 9 and 15:00, which I dont believe.
The train from Bosnia gets in about 11. There simply have to be buses, in fact I have seen some coastal one somewhere.
Sorry, I dunno who I didnt get any mail updates. I just saw we've had a little activity in my absence.
Hello there any septuagenarian fans out there. Sign up to the blog, or do social networking or whatever. we will stick any blog post URLs in here anyway.

Don, are you still planning to get the train out and meet us before we get to the fabled city ?.

Donbacsi

There has been much discussion on this topic of late on the TA Hungary Forum, and I suspect, others as well. Might be worth a look and a search there for fresh info.
Working on flights now...hotels I know and have stayed in are not a problem.
Can you firm up the date, day and time of arrival?
And now for something completely different: Unrelated to trains or the trip, this is how I spent my Memorial Day (tribute to our heros) on Monday. 33,000 people spontaneously rose to give a standing ovation to my dad. If you like it, please pass it on.
http://wapc.mlb.com/ari/play/?content_id=27515733&topic_id=8878726&c_id=ari

Donbacsi

Yep. I felt like a Secret Service Agent, just working to keep people from knocking him over. We couldn't see the field or the five storie tall Jumbo-tron that was zoomed in on him. Men were running down with their little boys for a hand shake and one guy even ran down with his baby for a hug! In all the hundreds of games I have watched I have never seen anything like this. The fans started chanting as he came by. It took us about 20 minutes to get out of there. And he never talks about his Bronze Star...the third highest award in the American military.
I do hope you are ready for the market! Other than using Mozart for the music, not bad.
Notice the blue and silver, and black and gold tins of pate everywhere. Also, check out the plums the size of cannon balls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wndssEc0c-s&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Great videos Don. I hope that your Dad enjoyed the day.

Just in case nobody else tells you we are now definitely for real. The tickets have arrived and been checked. One slight hiccup witha later train from Bratislava to Budapest that is currently being fixed. Now that we've seen it we wouldn't want to miss that market.

Catch up with the scuttlebutt on the official website or take an alternative view.

Donbacsi

What does "one slight hiccup" mean? Every minute in Budapest is a precious sausage, pickle and palinka moment!

Donbacsi

Not yet. The wheels of injustice grind slow and fine.
I nominate Scooter, the Gourmet Wonder Hound, for Official Mascot. How do I send you a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.