• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great HST Cascade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
talk of the HST's being over the hill at 35/40 or even 50 years old is silly, people are just using their pre-concieved ideas of how long stock should last,

saying "the pacers are only 30 years and they're going to be scrapped so why not the Mk 3's" is like saying that a caravan only lasts 15 years so we should tear down all houses that are 15 years old.

the mk 3's were built so well that there's no reason why they couldn't be used up until 2050. they'e still the most comfortable stock and still safe so i can't see any reason at all to scrap, you shouldn't just scrap something because its old.

The B-52 bombers will be 90 years old by the time they're scrapped.

Things are built to last a certain period. With buses it's around fifteen years, with trains its twice that (roughly speaking). I can't comment about caravans or planes though!

Eventually, when things start to go wrong, you get into the situation where it'd cost so much to refurbish something that it makes more sense to build something new (that will last longer).

Saying that Mk3 are still safe - the regulations have changed several times since they were built - there's "grandfather rights" but we can't keep sweating them - they simply weren't designed for the life that they've had.

Given the need to make trains DDA compliant in a few years time there will be some stock (like Pacers) that just aren't worth renovating.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John55

talk of the HST's being over the hill at 35/40 or even 50 years old is silly, people are just using their pre-concieved ideas of how long stock should last,

saying "the pacers are only 30 years and they're going to be scrapped so why not the Mk 3's" is like saying that a caravan only lasts 15 years so we should tear down all houses that are 15 years old.

the mk 3's were built so well that there's no reason why they couldn't be used up until 2050. they'e still the most comfortable stock and still safe so i can't see any reason at all to scrap, you shouldn't just scrap something because its old.

The B-52 bombers will be 90 years old by the time they're scrapped.

The HSTs which will be withdrawn from their current operations first (in 2016-8) are not being withdrawn because they are old. They will be withdrawn from the London - Bristol line because the line is being electrified. Then as the wires progressively spread the HSTs will be displaced by trains which can draw power from the OHLE. Quite how it works out will depend on other decisions on the extent of the electrification. Again on the ECML the HSTs will go to be replaced by trains which can use the power from the OHLE.

Then you have 40 - 50 odd 2 + 8 HSTS and what do you do with them? Most importantly where is there a route which can generate enough cash to pay for them? The routes which might generate enough money will be electrified by the time the HSTs are released and apart from a few trains taken on by operators to cope with increasing traffic I expect large scale scrapping to start in 2018.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Then you have 40 - 50 odd 2 + 8 HSTS and what do you do with them? Most importantly where is there a route which can generate enough cash to pay for them? The routes which might generate enough money will be electrified by the time the HSTs are released and apart from a few trains taken on by operators to cope with increasing traffic I expect large scale scrapping to start in 2018.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, there are few routes which could pay for them.

The only way in which I see any of the stock persevering is for the Mark 3 coaches to be used with Electric Locomotives. I very much doubt we will see them cascaded as HSTs.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only way in which I see any of the stock persevering is for the Mark 3 coaches to be used with Electric Locomotives. I very much doubt we will see them cascaded as HSTs.

Which would of course require the coaches to be converted to work with standard ETS rather than the HST specific version. Not an insurmountable task but an added complication and expense. Also the lack of buffers might be an issue (but I'm not sure on that point).

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Which would of course require the coaches to be converted to work with standard ETS rather than the HST specific version. Not an insurmountable task but an added complication and expense. Also the lack of buffers might be an issue (but I'm not sure on that point).

Well exactly. Once you've rewired them, fitted power doors, obtained some electric locos its all sounding a bit expensive to be worth it. I don't know that the Class 90s would be up to the task for the kind of period we're talking about.

Zoe

Established Member
How difficult would it be to add pantographs, traction motors and driving cabs? This would remove the need for any locomotives.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
How difficult would it be to add pantographs, traction motors and driving cabs? This would remove the need for any locomotives.

Traction motors are not going to be cheap though. They could be recovered from withdrawn EMUs in the old Southern Region tradition, but I'm not sure there is anything suitable at the moment. Other than that you end up with motors which will significantly outlast the bodies of the mark 3s.

Zoe

Established Member
Traction motors are not going to be cheap though. They could be recovered from withdrawn EMUs in the old Southern Region tradition, but I'm not sure there is anything suitable at the moment. Other than that you end up with motors which will significantly outlast the bodies of the mark 3s.
Same goes for locomotives though, I doubt there will ever be a new order of locomotive hauled coaching stock so the mark 3s would need to become life expired at the same time as freight locomotives do which isn't certain. Also couldn't any traction motors be used to life extend other EMUs after the marks 3s are life expired?

starrymarkb

Established Member
That is a good point, although I know that 158's are used on the Sheffield to Lincoln route with frequent stops and a line limit of about 55mph maximum. If it is a major problem, could some of them be re-geared to a top speed of 75mph. For the class 170's at least, this should be possible, as some of the similar 172's are geared for this. I'm sure it would be possible for the 158's as well.

Transmission is one area where there is a big difference between a 170 and 172. 170s drive a Voith Hydraulic Torque Converter and Fluid Flywheel. The 172 has a ZF automatic mechanical gearbox.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Things are built to last a certain period. With buses it's around fifteen years, with trains its twice that (roughly speaking). I can't comment about caravans or planes though!

Aircraft life is based on cycles (take-off, pressurise, de pressurise and land) typically around 100-150000 cycles before retirement. This is why short haul aircraft like the A32x and B737 which clock up many cycles per day have a shorter life expectancy then a B747 or A380 which do maybe 1.5 cycles per day.

Quite difficult. The 442 motor coach has a lot of reinforcement to support the REP traction gear. The structure is based on the IE generator cars.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Alternatively, you could just erm, what's it called...

Order a new train!

Well exactly! Given the life remaining of the whole LHCS set up, and the electrifiction of the routes most suited to the Mark 3s, I can't see a case for life extending that many.

Clearly there is already a plan for the HSTs required for services to Devon and Cornwall. I think its highly likely the same will happen for sleeper stock.

Further life extension will in my view depend on the life expectancy of the class 90s, and be limited by their numbers. I can imagine life extended Mark 3s working the Liverpool St-Norwich and (electrified or otherwise) Chiltern services, but other than that they'll be pretty much retired by 2020 in my view.

LE Greys

Established Member
Also, even if it's a temporary measure, would set lengthening on FGW and EMT to 2+9 be possible?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Also, even if it's a temporary measure, would set lengthening on FGW and EMT to 2+9 be possible?

Thats a good thought - certainly EMT, although I seem to remember reading that the reason the Western Region specified 2+8 was to ensure there was appropriate performance to deal with the Devon Banks. Whether that would still be a problem now that the Class 43s have been re-engined I will leave to our more technically minded members!

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Do EMT need 2+9 on their HSTs? My understanding is that normally HSTs cope fine with the loading's on their services and it's the 222s if anything that could with lengthening (certainly the shortest ones anyway).

Woody

Thats a good thought - certainly EMT, although I seem to remember reading that the reason the Western Region specified 2+8 was to ensure there was appropriate performance to deal with the Devon Banks. Whether that would still be a problem now that the Class 43s have been re-engined I will leave to our more technically minded members!
The power cars may have been re-engined but the MTU engines currently fitted are de-rated from their marine rating of 3500bhp to 2250bhp the same as the original BR fitted Paxman Valenta engine because thats all the horse power the original electric transmission (traction motors/traction alternator) were basically deigned to handle.BR experimentally fitted 4 power cars with Mirlees Blackstone engines rated at 2400bhp and even that extra 150bhp caused problems with the electric transmission hence their removal.So 2+9 re-engined MTU HSTs sets might have performance issues on the Devon banks.Whether it would be cost effective to uprate the electric transmission in a future life extension I dont know.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the OP mentioned an assumption about the costs with conversion to power-door use. However, Chiltern/DB clearly see the potential of the mk3s medium-long term or they wouldn't be spending large amounts of money converting them. Cascade of some sets to Chiltern would seem like a sensible option, potentially allowing all of the fast/semi-fast Birmingham-Marylebone services to be operated by mk3 sets as opposed to DMUs.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Do EMT need 2+9 on their HSTs? My understanding is that normally HSTs cope fine with the loading's on their services and it's the 222s if anything that could with lengthening (certainly the shortest ones anyway).

That's my understanding too!

A five coach 222 on a Sheffield - London service can be just as cramped as an XC service (esp with the amount of First Class), but this doesn't get the recognition that the Voyager problems do because it's not a "national" issue.

I think the OP mentioned an assumption about the costs with conversion to power-door use. However, Chiltern/DB clearly see the potential of the mk3s medium-long term or they wouldn't be spending large amounts of money converting them. Cascade of some sets to Chiltern would seem like a sensible option, potentially allowing all of the fast/semi-fast Birmingham-Marylebone services to be operated by mk3 sets as opposed to DMUs.

I could see the logic in Chiltern having more Mk3s if it meant cascading the 168s elsewhere (since they should be able to go anywhere that a 170 can, the three/four coach 168s might be the answer on routes like Cardiff - Portsmouth or Manchester - Cardiff).

Kneedown

Established Member
Oops, my mistake, I thought Manchester-Stockport and Sheffield-Chesterfield were actually 125mph routes :|

Erewash valley is 100mph I thought however.

Even if Man-Stockport were 125 you'd never get up to that speed due to the short distance and volume of traffic, not mention the bottleneck at Slade Lane Jct, where everything gets in everything else's way.

Currently, the maximum permissible speed on the Erewash valley line is 80mph.
Now to look at one suggestion it is proposed to replace 2 x 2 car Class 158s between Liverpool and Norwich with 2 + 7 HSTs. What is the cost of this likely to be? Replacing a 150 ton, 1400 hp train with a 390 ton 4500hp train is going to be expensive in every possible way. Can the traffic on the route support such a change? I for one doubt it. This route has significant commuter traffic but this is typically Warrington to Manchester and Sheffield to Manchester, which does not generate anything like the cash of long distance commuting into London. The off peak traffic although buoyant doesn’t stretch the 4 car 158s in my experience.

Four years ago EMT published details of passenger counts on this route and only 2 out of 26 journeys during Monday - Thursdays recorded 100+ passengers east of Nottingham, on Fridays it was 6 out of 27. None of these journeys had as many as 150 passengers.

On the busiest section of the route between Liverpool and Manchester the highest recorded load was 421 (3 times any other train) arriving into Manchester at 08:40 or so. The busiest trains the other way held 200 - 300 passengers. Even on the notorious Manchester – Sheffield section it was only on Friday afternoon that loads exceeded the capacity of a 2 car Class 158. These high loads largely generated by discount student travel.

Now it is possible that these figures are 20% higher now due to general growth and very recently by more trains being available but it doesn’t sound to me like a recipe for success to use expensive trains to provide excessive capacity on this route. I expect most other routes suggested will suffer from the same problems.

I work on the entire route from Liverpool through to Norwich, day in, day out.
The patronage on the Nott's-Liv route could certainly support longer trains at all times as all seem to be full to capacity, although 5 coaches would be more sensible than 7, as long as there is sufficient luggage space. Even on the Nott's-Norwich section two coaches can currently cope, but there will be problems if there is any growth in passenger numbers.
A shortened HST would be great for capacity, but i can't ever see it happening. Once at full power they can out accelerate a 158, and could reach the permitted speeds quite quickly, so although limited to 70mph over the Hope Valley route, timings wouldn't suffer too much as the 158's spend most of the time at 70something with the throttle wide open trying to go faster!
Where time would be lost however, is at the stations, as an HST takes a fair bit more stopping than a 158, and there is a lot more lag in the brake. The length of some of the platforms is fairly short, and so a cautious approach to enable stopping in just the right place would have to be made. This would add significantly to timings.
A shame really, as i'd love to work an HST over the route, and it certainly needs something with a bit of power to get up the hills and up to linespeed. The 158's at the minute seem to be weaker than a Fairtrade teabag, even the 400hp one's.
I think, come the next bout of re-franchising, the route may be split at Nottingham, with two different TOC's working the Liverpool and Norwich sections.

AndyLandy

Established Member
If the HSTs aren't end-of-life now, they can't be far off it. It's almost a shame that the DDA legislation couldn't have been five years later, that way we could have kept them running in their current form until 2025 at which point they'd be life-expired. Fitting power doors to them for only a few years of service seems like a bad investment to me, but I guess there's little choice in the matter.

I'm skeptical of many suggestions for where HSTs could be cascaded to, especially with such a short remaining useful life. Is it really worth investing in driver training and providing maintenance depots to run HSTs on another route?

The only way I can see HSTs being useful is if they're ran on routes that they're already cleared for. If there are plans to electrify the MML and some of the CrossCountry routes within the next 10 years or so, run HSTs there until we're ready to buy new electric traction for those routes. Any displaced 22x stock would be far more useful to cascade to elsewhere in the network, particularly for longer distance routes that aren't going to be electrified any time soon. And if that allows a cascade of other DMUs to drop off some Pacers at the bottom end, all the better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge HST fan, and it'll be a sad day indeed when they're finally retired from service, but we have to face reality and acknowledge that these trains aren't going to go on forever.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's almost a shame that the DDA legislation couldn't have been five years later

2019 was decided on because of the high volume of 1970s EMUs, 1980s DMUs and the HSTs in service, which were seen as being life expired by 2020 unless they had a life extension program. Then if they had a life extension program DDA could be incorporated as part of that program. In the case of HSTs they had the life extension program but at the time no-one considered making them suitable for post-2019 use.

route:oxford

Established Member

There is the cost of conversion to power-door. Then there is the advantage if you are the ROSCO who jumps first and updates a dozen or so HST sets to power-door.

Suddenly, you're the ROSCO with the assets that have an ongoing value - whilst the others have sets that are not DDA compliant and fit for the scrap yard.

Then there are the spot-hire companies. A DDA compliant HST is probably easier to market (and path) than a 47 and rake of Mk2s.

RobShipway

Established Member
That's my understanding too!

A five coach 222 on a Sheffield - London service can be just as cramped as an XC service (esp with the amount of First Class), but this doesn't get the recognition that the Voyager problems do because it's not a "national" issue.

I could see the logic in Chiltern having more Mk3s if it meant cascading the 168s elsewhere (since they should be able to go anywhere that a 170 can, the three/four coach 168s might be the answer on routes like Cardiff - Portsmouth or Manchester - Cardiff).

I do not see the logic here I am afraid, unless the hst power cars go with the Mk3's and then you would be only have 7 cars per unit as that is all that would be needed at most on the Chiltern line trains to replace the 168's and then only a maximum of 5 sets would be required. What would happen to the rest?

LE Greys

Established Member
Would HST Power Cars be suited to pull freight trains?

Gearing is way too high, tractive effort is way too low, the lack of a second cab would be a problem. Fast mail and parcels trains might be possible, but there are hardly any of them these days. Besides, we have the under-used 67s that could do the job far better.
I do not see the logic here I am afraid, unless the hst power cars go with the Mk3's and then you would be only have 7 cars per unit as that is all that would be needed at most on the Chiltern line trains to replace the 168's and then only a maximum of 5 sets would be required. What would happen to the rest?

In terms of swapping the loco-hauled sets for HSTs instead, plus replacing some 168s, then there is a real possibility. I'm not sure of the exact figures, but a pair of power cars might use more fuel than a single 67, but they can out-accelerate it and have the useful back-up of a second power unit. It's a pity the ETS is not compatible, but that can't really be changed.

AndyLandy

Established Member
The long and the short of it is that whatever you decide to do with the HSTs, it must be of the understanding that you'll only get 10, maybe 15 more years of useful life out of them. If IEP frees up a load of HSTs, maybe they still have a future on the network, but you'd need to be already thinking about replacing them.

The biggest factor that'll keep HSTs going is the drive towards electrification. Nobody wants to buy diesel express trains, so keeping the HSTs running on pre-electrification routes is a big win.

Places I'd look to move HSTs in the medium term future would be where there's a real chance of full electrification, so when you come to replace them, you can do it with modern EMUs. The Bournemouth-Manchester XC service (and possibly Bournemouth-Newcastle service) look like they could be fully electrified quite easily once the GWML and TPE routes are wired.

If MML is expected to gain IEPs last, that could run HSTs in the interim. Possibly the Wessex line from Cardiff-Portsmouth might be a candidate for electrification and HSTs until then. Perhaps the Chiltern main line? I'm sure there are others, and likely better qualified people than me on here to suggest them.

Aictos

Established Member
Not really...

Unless they were small and high speed, like Diesel Mail or Parcel Trains...

It's a shame the UK couldn't look into converting a small number of spare HST sets when they do become displaced for high speed mail/parcels trains as SNCF have done with a small number of their TGVs.

They are already cleared for most of the UK and one HST could take the same load as 3 Class 325s, their higher speed of 125mph would be so beneficial to the industry where time is everything.

I believe that it's entirely possible to replace the entire Class 325 fleet with only 6 HSTs, 5 in service at any time plus one in maintenance.

That said though, I know there is nothing wrong with the Class 325 fleet so why not convert them into passenger use?

I know there are the Class 67s but I'm sure they are restricted to 100mph running on the mail trains so would be no better then the 325s.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Also the lack of buffers might be an issue (but I'm not sure on that point).

If you had a dedicated driving vehicle at one end (new build DVTS perhaps), really only the loco end carriage need have loco-compatible buffer and couplings- I'm not sure, but I think only the TSOE on the mark 4 sets can couple to the 91s (other than the 91 being able to couple to the outer end of the DVT)?

Status
Not open for further replies.