• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandan1

Thanks guys. I too won't be getting to excited until after my medical. Think it's still all sinking in anyway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ninhog

Honestly.....im waiting to see how the medical goes first before I start partying lol.

My eyesight has got worse...not by much but still playing on my mind.

Definitely get your eyes checked out before you medical. I never needed glasses or had problems with my eyes before but my medical revealed I had a small prescription so needed glasses!

Needless to say, it was panic stations to get some glasses and book another medical..!

El-Alamein

Definitely get your eyes checked out before you medical. I never needed glasses or had problems with my eyes before but my medical revealed I had a small prescription so needed glasses!

Needless to say, it was panic stations to get some glasses and book another medical..!

I already wear glasses and have done for a while but my prescription changed...but on reflection doubt it'll have much of an effect on the results as it was a minor change

RobSmith

This was the same for me but couldn't afford decent frames so just got the basic cheap ones. They issued vouchers for specsavers when I started for £120 and was able to get 2 decent pairs in the bogof sale they were running.

ninhog

I already wear glasses and have done for a while but my prescription changed...but on reflection doubt it'll have much of an effect on the results as it was a minor change

I only had a small prescription, but it was enough to fail the first medical on eyesight with.

Entirely your choice of course- I'm just offering advice based upon my own experience.

Dandan1

Hi, passed my medical today! Did however come up with slightly high blood pressure so have to see my GP (was half expecting it which is what probably added to the high readings) but apparently nothing to worry about job wise, the worst that can happen is I get prescribed meds to lower it. So yeah, looks like I'll be on the May course for Hitchin! :)

bILLOO

Thought I would blow the dust off this thread. Any news regarding the TL depots north of Kentish Town? Is hope all but lost for the remaining few in the talent pool?

emzy_007

Also blowing off the dust - how long have you guys been waiting between being informed you have passed MMI and getting information on booking a medical?

bILLOO

I had my medical two to three weeks post-MMI. Two years in the talent pool since then, though...

RedZed

And if you applied for Bedford, you can forget it as they ain't recruiting for there anymore, despite what the advert said.

Cactus

Also blowing off the dust - how long have you guys been waiting between being informed you have passed MMI and getting information on booking a medical?

3 weeks now and still nothing despite sending emails.

Garyhobbs

Did you guys and girls apply for thameslink?
When I applied it was stated:
Job Reference: GTR/1404
Job Title: Trainee Train Driver

I'm in Bedfordshire so would I be located to northern line? Or do they locate nearest to where you live through GTR?

Cheers.

Polar

Did you guys and girls apply for thameslink?
When I applied it was stated:
Job Reference: GTR/1404
Job Title: Trainee Train Driver

I'm in Bedfordshire so would I be located to northern line? Or do they locate nearest to where you live through GTR?

Cheers.

There is no rhyme or reason to how they allocate people. They still have people thinking they will be starting at hitchin and bedford even though they are both reducing in numbers.
My advice would be just take whatever they offer you and worry about it later. I live in Bedfordshire yet work at Cambridge.

bILLOO

Any news regarding Luton and St Albans? Is Luton still marked as a second depot for Bedford drivers?

Robcuk

Any news regarding Luton and St Albans? Is Luton still marked as a second depot for Bedford drivers?

Not sure if it's a 'second' depot but along with St Albans it will be a new depot. There will be around 100 drivers, i think, who will be based somewhere other than Bedford. No one knows the exact running of the depots so it's a mystery what will happen. Crickelwood is the other depot but i presume the majority of drivers based there will be from Blackfriars, although, I am guessing.

bILLOO

Cheers for the update. I constantly wonder if I'm still in the pool as they haven't built the two nearest depots to me (Luton + St Albans); although whether these depots will take on trainees remains to be seen.

Walrus

Is anyone here able to add any info on the character reference process? I'm trying to decide who best to choose to put down, but that may depend one whether the Career Check guys will be calling the person, or emailing them etc. Can anyone who got in give me any info on this? Thanks :)

andys495

Is anyone here able to add any info on the character reference process? I'm trying to decide who best to choose to put down, but that may depend one whether the Career Check guys will be calling the person, or emailing them etc. Can anyone who got in give me any info on this? Thanks :)

Walrus,
From experience they will email your nominated referees within days of you notifying them. If they don't get a prompt response from them then they will call them. If they hear nothing after that they will re contact you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walrus

Walrus,
From experience they will email your nominated referees within days of you notifying them. If they don't get a prompt response from them then they will call them. If they hear nothing after that they will re contact you.

Thanks for the response. Is the email these guys send one that sends them to a 'form to fill out' kind've response, or do they request a letter to be typed up? Just wanting to let my referees know what they're in for.

andys495

I understand it's a form where they ask for a grading (e.g. Score 1-5 for a particular trait 1 = poor 5 = excellent etc) My referee sent in an accompanying letter but I don't think that was specifically asked for. My referee also said they sent her an email within hours of me notifying them. I believe that's because Career Check are contracted by GTR to get references back within so many days.

RedZed

LOL... Well that's three years of my life I'll never get back...

Subject: GTR Trainee Train Driver Talent Pool Update
Dear Candidate,

Thank you for patience while you have been awaiting news regarding our Talent Pool. As you are aware our network is undergoing some huge changes, including the opening of new Depots and the reducing of recruitment in existing Depots.

Due to the reduction of Recruitment into Bedford Depot which would be closest Depot based on your home address, we do not envisage recruiting for this area until mid 2018. For some candidates this may result in your driver assessment validation being expired. If this situation arises then you would be required to resit the driver assessment process.

Due to nature of the role being safety critical travelling over an hour for work is not recommended as the safety of our staff is our paramount concern. Your home address falls outside what we consider a safe commuting distance from the depots where we are currently hiring trainee drivers. In particular the training period can be very intense, and as we greatly value the work-life balance of our teams, we do not encourage relocation for trainee driver roles

Unfortunately, on this occasion, we will not be able to progress your application any further

Thank you for considering working with GTR and best wishes in your future career.

Regards,

GTR Recruitment

baz962

Established Member

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for patience while you have been awaiting news regarding our Talent Pool. As you are aware our network is undergoing some huge changes, including the opening of new Depots and the reducing of recruitment in existing Depots.

Due to the reduction of Recruitment into Bedford Depot which would be closest Depot based on your home address, we do not envisage recruiting for this area until mid 2018. For some candidates this may result in your driver assessment validation being expired. If this situation arises then you would be required to resit the driver assessment process.

Due to nature of the role being safety critical travelling over an hour for work is not recommended as the safety of our staff is our paramount concern. Your home address falls outside what we consider a safe commuting distance from the depots where we are currently hiring trainee drivers. In particular the training period can be very intense, and as we greatly value the work-life balance of our teams, we do not encourage relocation for trainee driver roles

Unfortunately, on this occasion, we will not be able to progress your application any further

Thank you for considering working with GTR and best wishes in your future career.

Regards,

GTR Recruitment

Mate I am sorry to read this .

Team_giest

Dear Candidate,

Regards,

GTR Recruitment

I got this same e-mail just now, 2 years i waited. Mine was for the cambridge depot. My e-mail was worded exactly the same but says they won't be recruiting for the Kings lynn/ cambridge area at all. No dates given on when they will start again

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
I got this same e-mail just now, 2 years i waited. Mine was for the cambridge depot. My e-mail was worded exactly the same but says they won't be recruiting for the Kings lynn/ cambridge area at all. No dates given on when they will start again

What area you live mate, when do your psychometrics run out.

baz962

Established Member
Seems a brutal world this. Thanking my lucky stars I start next week. Feel sorry for you guys

To be honest mate at my dmi they said that training would be 2 years due to shortage of di's so if I get in next year I am hoping I would still qualify by 2 years . One can hope lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.