• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The International Transport Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is amazingly only one train a day each way here (:roll: America...) although 12 months ago apparently there were none, so small mercies.

Rather than do a tour on local buses, we can take a short walk across to the "Peter Pan Bus Terminal" on the edge of Northampton city center and about 5 minutes away. We can catch a coach here south to Springfield, MA, arriving at the Peter L. Picknelly Transportation Center (i.e. bus station? :roll: America...) which is near the Amtrak station, giving us lots of options, although the long distance train westbound has already left.

According to the Peter Pan Bus Lines website there's a departure at 04:55pm arriving 05:25pm, still Weds.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Remember to cite a source, simply saying Emirates journey planner (assuming that's what you used) would be fine ;)

No need to revise the move just something to keep in mind.

Sorry I did see the rules too!

I'm so used to using the UK version! :lol:

There is amazingly only one train a day each way here (:roll: America...) although 12 months ago apparently there were none, so small mercies.

Rather than do a tour on local buses, we can take a short walk across to the "Peter Pan Bus Terminal" on the edge of Northampton city center and about 5 minutes away. We can catch a coach here south to Springfield, MA, arriving at the Peter L. Picknelly Transportation Center (i.e. bus station? :roll: America...) which is near the Amtrak station, giving us lots of options, although the long distance train westbound has already left.

According to the Peter Pan Bus Lines website there's a departure at 04:55pm arriving 05:25pm, still Weds.

I thought it was just me being stupid!

We then board the 1733 Amtrak service 448 (Lake Shore Limited) to Boston, MA (South Station), arriving there at 2001 on Wednesday evening.

Source: http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

DasLunatic

After a glance at our watch, we gasp in horror and sprint for the Amtrak station. Completing the three minute journey in a matter of seconds, we are just able to board thr 1733 Amtrak Lake Shore Limited service on a relaxing journey to Boston Back Bay, arriving at 1955 Wednesday evening.

(https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pet...42.3600825!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1437585900!3e3?hl=en)

We then do some more trainspotting before boarding the 2130 Amtrak NE Regional (Train 67) from end-to-end, arriving into Washington Union at 0658 Thursday morning.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bos...23!2m5!4e2!5e2!6e0!7e2!8j1437595860!3e3?hl=en

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
To make a transfer that I did myself earlier this year, we hop onto the Washington Metro Red Line. It's a manageable and quick transfer, and we get onto the train at 07:05. We take it under the city to Tenleytown station, Washington DC, USA. We arrive at 07:24 on Thursday morning.

Source: WMATA Journey planner

DasLunatic

We continue along the Washington DC Metro on the 0745 Red Line service. We take it another seven stops, arriving at Rockville, MD at 0804 Thursday morning.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Leaving Rockville, MD behind, we decide to go to the other side of the Red Line. As it's a big "U" shape, we don't go by train, instead choosing to avoid the rush hour by catching an MCDOT 49 bus service at 08:10 to Glenmont Metro Station, MD, USA. We arrive there at 08:42 on Thursday morning.

Source: Montgomery County DOT timetable

DasLunatic

We're back on the Washington Metro Red Line as we board the 0849 departure to Fort Totten, arriving at 0904 Thursday morning.

(Google)

me123

Established Member
Fort Totten is a convenient transfer point on the Metro, and we transfer onto the Yellow Line at 09:13. We take it South of the Potomac to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, VA, USA, arriving at 09:39 on Thursday morning.

Source: WMATA Journey planner

Last edited:

DasLunatic

We check-in for Air Canada Flight 7651, taking off at 1130 and touching down at Montreal Pierre E Trudeau Intl, Canada at 1307 Thursday afternoon.

(Google Flights)

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
We'll explore Montreal another time, at the moment we'll transfer and continue West on Air Canada's 14:00 flight AC183 to Vancouver International Airport, Canada. We touch down and taxi to Terminal M (Concourse C), where we deplane at 16:33 PDT, Thursday afternoon.

Source: Air Canada Journey Planner

Last edited:

DasLunatic

It's another quick transfer to another flight - however, this one isn't operated by Air Canada. It is instead operated by WestJet. We board its Flight 3183 and take it on the half-hour hop to Victoria International Airport, British Columbia, Canada, departing at 1805 and touching down at 1835 Thursday afternoon.

(Google Flights)

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board the 2055 Translink SkyTrain Canada Line service to Waterfront, arriving there at 2120 on Thursday evening.

(Source: Translink trip planning)

Last edited by a moderator:

me123

Established Member
It's another quick transfer to another flight - however, this one isn't operated by Air Canada. It is instead operated by WestJet. We board its Flight 3183 and take it on the half-hour hop to Victoria International Airport, British Columbia, Canada, departing at 2005 and touching down at 2035 Thursday afternoon.

(Google Flights)

Do you want to double-check those times? I've got that flight at 18:05-18:35 PDT. The 20:05 departure is AC8081.

We then board the 2055 Translink SkyTrain Canada Line service to Waterfront, arriving there at 2120 on Thursday evening.

(Source: Translink trip planning)

That doesn't serve Victoria, which is where DasLunatic left us. That's from Vancouver airport, albeit at DasLunatic's times!

DasLunatic

Do you want to double-check those times? I've got that flight at 18:05-18:35 PDT. The 20:05 departure is AC8081.

Good catch - must be the bottle of Rekorderlig I just downed :lol:
It's been rectified, anyways.

me123

Established Member
So, sorry Dan, but your move isn't valid because it comes from YVR airport, when we're at YYJ. So taking us forward from Victoria International Airport...

With our ears slightly sore from all this up and down nonsense, we decide to stick to land for our next move. The airport is served by local buses, and we catch the 19:20 Victoria Regional Transit number 83 service for a short journey to McTavish Interchange, Victoria, BC, Canada; arriving at 19:24 on Thursday evening.

Source: YYJ Airport Public Transport Timetable

Last edited:

DasLunatic

We take a few photos of the Canadian buses before boarding the 1949 BC Transit no. 70 bus to Royal Oak Exchange (Bay G), Royal Oak, BC, Canada, arriving at 2012 Thursday evening.

(Google)

me123

Established Member
We walk to Bay D and continue our journey to Victoria proper. We now board the 20:20 BC Transit number 6 service to Downtown Victoria. The bus deposits us at Douglas St at View St, Victoria, BC, Canada, arriving at 20:45 on Thursday evening.

Source: BC Transit Website

DasLunatic

We head down to the next stop and board the 2100 BC Transit no.72 bus to Southbound Government at Belleville, Victoria, BC, Canada, arriving at 2103 Thursday evening.

(Google)
I think the ferries to Port Angeles and Seattle still run at this time of night...

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm struggling to find any ferries that late, where do you think you've seen them?

me123

Established Member
I've had the same idea as DasLunatic, however we find that the last ferry left some time ago.The next ferry isn't due to leave until 06:30 the next morning.

Instead, we walk down to Legislature Terminus where we catch the 20:40 BC Transit 75 bus service to Saanichton Exchange, BC, Canada, arriving at 21:36 on Thursday evening.

Source: BC Transit 75 timetable

dzug2

We take the 2130 no 72 BC Transit bus from Northbound Government at Superior to Swartz Bay Ferry terminal arriving at 2236 in the hope (vain as it turns out - the next departure is next morning) of finding a late ferry

BC transit and BC ferries websites

Last edited:

DasLunatic

While we check the timetables thanks to Google Maps, we turn around in dismay to see that our 72 bus back to McTavish Exchange has disappeared into the night. So, we head into the nearby Spelt's Coffee Shop and wait for the 2208 BC Transit no. 72 bus. We arrive at the route's terminus of McTavish Exchange (Bay F), Bazan Bay, BC, Canada at 2245 Thursday night.

We alight to take some nightime photos of Saanichton. However, there's not much time to do so as our next 72 bus (operated by BC Transit) arrives to whisk us back to McTavish Exchange (Bay C), Bazan Bay, BC, Canada at 2151 Thursday night.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
We head to the nearby town of Sidney in the hope that there's a late night ferry from here. The BC Transit number 88 bus leaves the interchange at 23:24, depositing us at James White Boulevard/5th Street, Sidney, BC, Canada. The time is 23:37 on Thursday evening.

Sadly, our efforts to travel on the water are again thwarted, as there's no ferry here tonight either :(

DasLunatic

I'd have gone back to the airport, but whatever...

Remembering seeing a pub on the way up here, we check the Tripadvisor ratings for the Irish Times Pub back in Victoria. The reviews seen favourable, so at 23:52, we board (probably) the last BC Transit 72 bus to Southbound Douglas at Fort, Victoria, BC, CAN, arriving in the wee hours of Friday morning... 0035, to be precise.

me123

Established Member
Ah, but my plan's working!

It's not in fact the last 72 service operated by BC transit, but the second to last. Almost half an hour later, the 01:04 service pulls up to take us the rest of the way to a familiar bus stop, one we left just a few hours ago, Southbound Government at Belleville, Victoria, BC, Canada, arriving at 01:07 on Friday morning.

Source: Google

Last edited:

DasLunatic

We then check into the Harbour Towers Hotel and Suites, waking up early to catch the 0610 Black Ball 'Coho' ferry to The Coho, Port Angeles, WA, USA, arriving into the US at 0740 Friday morning.

me123

Established Member
Back to the USA we are, and back to the land of sparse public transportation. There's not much happening out here, so we pop into The Cornerhouse for a delicious (if calorific) Amercian breakfast!

Clallam Transit operate their number 30 service from just outside the ferry terminal, and we board it at 08:30. It takes us along the coast to Sequim Transfer Centre, WA, USA, arriving at 09:05 on Friday morning.

Source: Clallam Transit

DasLunatic

We leave Sequim on its other bus route - the Jefferson Transit no. 8 bus. We board it at 0940, and it deposits us at Four Corners Park and Ride, Port Townsend, WA, USA - the time being 1013 Friday morning.

Google

me123

Established Member
There is a booked connection here, but it requires us to wait a whopping five hours! So, instead of vegetating in this small backwater, we catch a Jefferson Transit 6 service at 10:39, taking us to Haines Place Park & Ride, Port Townsend, WA, USA. We arrive at 10:50 on Friday morning.

Source: Jefferson Transit Timetable

Last edited:

DasLunatic

We waste 55 minutes in the nearby McDonalds before backtracking on the JTA 8 to Highway 20 and US 101, Discovery Bay, WA, USA, departing at 1145 and arriving at 1205... where we have two hours to waste before our coach to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.