• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The International Transport Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
We're disappointed to find the ferry route to Harwich has closed to passengers, although perhaps that's something of a blessing in disguise as, once we get to Harwich, the rules dictate that we can't actually move around the UK so we'd be somewhat stuck until the ferry ploughs its way back...

We get back on the number 5 Sydtrfik bus at 17:07 to Banegården, Esbjerg, arriving at 17:17 on Wednesday afternoon.

Source: timetable

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

We're disappointed to find the ferry route to Harwich has closed to passengers, although perhaps that's something of a blessing in disguise as, once we get to Harwich, the rules dictate that we can't actually move around the UK so we'd be somewhat stuck until the ferry ploughs its way back...

We wouldn't be - Harwich still has a ferry to Hoek van Holland, IIRC...

Anyway, we decide to sample some of Denmark's railway, so we board the 1739 RE train to Kolding, DEN, arriving at 1827 Wednesday afternoon.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
We then board the 1930 DSB service (*) to Copenhagen, arriving there at 2151 on Wednesday evening.

(Source: Rail Europe)

* = no service code/identity listed.

DasLunatic

We want to go to another country, so we board the 2212 DSB Øresund ØR service across the Øresund, arriving into Malmö Centralstation, SWE at 2246 Wednesday night.

me123

Established Member
We transfer to the 23:08 Öresundståg service to Halmstad Centralstation, Sweden. We arrive at 00:56 on Thursday morning.

Source: Google Maps

DasLunatic

That's it, so we unload our sleeping bag and awaken to find that some kind folk have left their loose kronor at our feet. We pool up our money and board the 0515 Hallandstrafiken 350 bus to Halmstad Tre hjärtans väg, SWE, arriving at 0525 Thursday morning.

(Google)

dzug2

Well Google claims that stop is 5 minutes walk from the airport, so we make our way there and take Malmo Aviation flight TF3254 at 0730, arriving in Stockholm/Bromma at 0840 Thursday morning

Malmo Aviation website https://nova.malmoaviation.se/

DasLunatic

There is nothing against using general aviation, so we hire a propeller plane at 0930 and fly to the Viljandi Airfield, EST, arriving at 1300 Thursday afternoon.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
I'm not convinced that general aviation is in the spirit of the rules. It's stated that "The aim of the game is to travel around the world using public transport in a pseudo-realistic fashion." I would not consider hiring a private plane to be a form of public transportation - it is the aviation equivalent of getting in a taxi or hiring a car. can we have a ruling from "The Inspectors" please?

dzug2

There is nothing against using general aviation, so we hire a propeller plane at 0930 and fly to the Viljandi Airfield, EST, arriving at 1300 Thursday afternoon.

There is - it's not public transport and it's not scheduled

DasLunatic

Very well, we hang around and quickly transfer onto Finnair's Flight 982 to Helsinki Vantaa, arriving at 1125 Thursday morning.

me123

Established Member
Well Google claims that stop is 5 minutes walk from the airport, so we make our way there and take Malmo Aviation flight TF3254 at 0730, arriving in Stockholm/Bromma at 0840 Thursday morning

Malmo Aviation website https://nova.malmoaviation.se/

From Bromma, we can catch Finnair flight AY982 at 09:15 to Helsinki, arriving at 11:25 on Thursday morning.

Source: Flightstats

EDIT: Beaten, but great minds clearly think alike!

Last edited:

DasLunatic

From Bromma, we can catch Finnair flight AY982 at 09:15 to Helsinki, arriving at 11:25 on Thursday morning.

Source: Flightstats

EDIT: Beaten, but great minds clearly think alike!

It was the only flight out of Bromma within the allowed window. That, or a train or two to Arlanda...

me123

Established Member
Helsinki airport has a brand new rail link that only opened this month. We pass through security (allowing half an hour to do so) and give this new line a whirl. We get onboard VR Commuter Train I at 11:57, getting into Helsinki station at 12:29 on Thursday afternoon.

Source: VR journey planner
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was the only flight out of Bromma within the allowed window. That, or a train or two to Arlanda...

There's a few others, not going anywhere exciting though!

DasLunatic

We then head to the bus station at Helsinki linja-autoasema and board the 1245 bus (no route no) to Kuokkamaantie, FIN. It's operated by Matkahuolto / Länsilinjat Oy and arrives at 1500 Thursday afternoon.

me123

Established Member
Being a truly integrated travel centre, the railway station is adjacent. We take our time transferring onto the 19:16 VR Intercity Train 934 towards Tampere, where we arrive at 20:47 on Thursday evening.

Source: VR journey planner (link as above).

me123

Established Member
We decide to go to Turku and are surprised to find it's a train we've been on already this evening: VR Intercity 934! The train spends enough time at Tampere that you can change onto the 58 and beat it.

So, back onto the train we go, and we pull away at 21:35. We arrive into Turku at 22:50 on Thursday evening.

Source: VR Journey Planner

bnsf734

I can't find any more services today so we spend the night in Turku and we board the 0537 VR Intercity service 942 and get off in Helsinki where we arrive at 0734 on Friday morning.

Source VR Journey planner

Last edited:

dzug2

We head north on the 0930 Pendolino train 45 to Oulu arriving at 1605 Friday afternoon

source - same journey planner

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
He head North to a town that will be known to many British kids as "Lapland". Rovaniemi is a small town that sees a particularly large number of flights from this country, but only in the few weeks before Christmas as excited (and gullible) children make their way to the "North Pole" to visit "Santa Claus".

We board the 16:24 VR Express train 405, which takes us to Rovaniemi at 19:05 on Friday evening.

Source: VR Journey Planner

dzug2

A pity - there's a 1920 bus heading onwards, but it doesn't run in school holidays if I've read things right. And further departures are all next day

So we return towards Oulu, on the 2115 Intercity train 214, and travel as far as Kemi arriving at 2232 Friday evening

me123

Established Member
We want to head to the top of the country's rail network and travel up to Kolari in the Arctic Circle. Sadly, the next train leaves on Sunday :( Our next plan to go to Lumeå in Sweden is also thwarted by the lack of Saturday bus services.

I can't find much else leaving at this time of night, so we check in to the rather nice looking Hotel Merihovi before catching the first train of the morning, the 06:17 Intercity 265 service to Kemijärvi, arriving at 09:00 on Saturday morning.

Source, VR Journey Planner

Oh, there is a bus service, good :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We'll call it a night, and continue to Sweden on the first bus of the morning, the 07:12 LT Norrbotten number 20 service, which takes us to Luleå Busstation, Sweden at 09:50 on Saturday morning.

Source: Google Maps

bnsf734

After a good nights sleep we are up bright and early in time to catch the 0520 Flybussen.no 901 service back to Tromso lufthavn where we arrive at 0535 on Monday morning.

Source: http://flybussen.no/en/

Last edited:

DasLunatic

We decide to go further north, boarding the 0810 Wiederoe Flight 902 to Hammerfest, NOR, arriving at 0853 Monday morning.

Google Flights

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.