• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The International Transport Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

We've enjoyed our week's holiday, but we must now move on.

We get out on the 0730 coach service to Estación de Autobuses de Valencia, arriving at 0915 Wednesday morning.

Google Maps

johnnychips

Established Member
Let’s head north. We take the Alsa coach at 1000 to Barcelona El Prat Airport (T1)(BCN) arriving at 1400 on Wednesday afternoon.

Source: https://www.goeuro.co.uk/

That gives us the option of going into the city, getting a coach or train somewhere else, or catching a plane.

Bodie

Belavia B2870 which leaves at 1600 and after flying East for some hours hits the ground again at 2140. Wednesday night. We now find ourselves at Minsk National Airport (MSQ) which must be some Belarusian humour as we've just proved it's actually an International airport.
Though our Spanish fellow travellers have to be careful not to laugh too hard as we left from El Prat airport.

Source: www.barcalona-airport.com

johnnychips

Established Member
I see what you mean! If it helps, the bus station we have arrived at is next to the main station (Minsk Pasazyrski), but if you or anybody else is really struggling, you could use the link I gave above to get back to the airport and we could go elsewhere.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Minsk

DasLunatic

Ah, cheers.

Let's head down to (almost) Poland - at 2331, we board Train 009Я, arriving into Brest Central at 0310 in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Google Maps

A Challenge

Established Member
There don't appear to be any local services so we wait until the next MP IC service at 14:23, which takes us to Warsaw West arriving at 17:29 Sunday afternoon.

DasLunatic

I think that's enough time in Europe.

We board the 1745 S3 service to Warsaw Chopin Airport 01, arriving at 1800 Thursday evening.

Google Maps

A Challenge

Established Member
We then get the 19:50 Swissair flight 1353 to Zurich Airport, arriving at 21:50 Thursday evening.

DasLunatic

I think a trip to Israel would be a nice move.

We board Swissair flight 256, departing at 2240 and touching down at Tel-Aviv Ben Gurion for 0325 Friday morning.

A Challenge

Established Member
We then get the 05:00 Turkish Airlines light 793 to Istanbul Airport (IST), arriving at 07:15 Friday morning.

Bodie

The 0748 Istanbul Metro M1A to Yenikapı arriving at end of this line at 0818 on Friday morning.

Source: Google Maps

DasLunatic

Let's continue onwards to Istanbul's other airport.

We board the 0803 Marmaray service to the terminus of Ayrılık Çeşmesi, arriving at 0815 Friday morning.

Google Maps

Bodie

This intrepid traveller smug in his delight at having crossed another must off his list (Namely travelling between Europe and Asia by standard gauge railway) takes in the Asian Istanbul as he heads the 500m to the bus stop Hamza Yerlikaya.

At 0830 he boards IETT E-11 to that second international airport of Istanbul. He arrives outside the terminal at the bus stop Sabiha Gökçen H.L. at 0934 on Friday morning.

Source: Google Maps

DasLunatic

I think we've missed this country, so far...
After an hour or so passing through Istanbul's second airport, we decide that a trip to Azerbaijan seems nice. We board our Embraer 190 at 10:35, operating as Azerbaijan 9104. We alight at Baku's main international airport - Heydar Aliyev - at 14:20 Friday afternoon.

Google Flights
NB: Apparently we can get to China or New York from here - no idea when the flights run, though

Bodie

As far as I can make out, there aren't any departures from the Central railway station till 5pm.

So lets try out Baku's metro system. We head below at the 28 May station underneath the Central station and taking a train on the Green and Red Line (We toss a coin and the first train to appear is a Green Line) at 1540 we travel to Koroğlu arriving at 1558 on Friday afternoon.

Sources: Google Maps and wikipedia

johnnychips

Established Member
Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Bump

Anyone still interested? Baku isn’t the easiest place to get out of, but I can’t see anything wrong with using the approximate times provided to Tbilisi or getting back towards the airport.

DasLunatic

Let's see if we can make it to the Eurovision Song Contest over in Lisboa...

The easiest way to do this is to get back to the airport, noting that 'Azerbaijan is crap' as we sample the buses. At 1803, we board the 14 bus, alighting just outside the main station (28 May st) at 1856 Friday afternoon

Google Maps... how did I not realise we had urban Baku in it?

Springs Branch

Established Member
We're just too late for the evening flight to Moscow, so let's get the next available departure....

Azerbaijan Airlines Flight J2 015 leaving at 2235 to Dubai International (DXB)*, arriving at 0130 Saturday morning.

*From where the world is, as they say, your oyster.

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
We then get the 02:45 Emirates Flight EK 420 to Perth (PER), arriving at 17:35 Saturday afternoon.

johnnychips

Established Member
Well we've been on the world's fastest train in Shanghai, been to the source of the Amazon near Manaus...and guess what leaves from East Perth once a week every Sunday at 1000!

If we want to take this option, we need to kill time, so we can check out Perth's train network. We walk 350m to Perth Underground Station and take the 1908 Joondalup Line train to its terminus at Butler arriving at 1946 on Saturday evening.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/timetables/details?Train=Joondalup Line

Status
Not open for further replies.