• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Jacobite 2020 & 2021 Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQTV

I see that the paths for The Jacobite stock have now appeared on Real Time Trains for the 12th and 13th July, in time for the planned start of services on the 15th.

I’m booked in mid August, First Class (Open Saloon). Perhaps this could be a repository of information and experiences for the coming season. The website carries details of the social distancing measures that are planned to be employed on board.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

The question was asked on the Fort William to Mallaig Line Landslide thread about The Jacobite not laying-over at Glenfinnan.

Looking at RTT for the last three days, the morning train has arrived in Mallaig 27, 23 and 29 minutes early respectively. The gain shows at Glenfinnan in all cases.

West Coast Railways has also posted a video of the first departure from Fort William on the 15th July.

It's on Facebook, but no log in is required:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=335344077461602

It's also on the Network Rail Scotland Twitter feed (again, no log in required):

Among other things, it shows the partitions that have been installed between the seating bays in the open stock.

awsnews

I see that the paths for The Jacobite stock have now appeared on Real Time Trains for the 12th and 13th July, in time for the planned start of services on the 15th.

I’m booked in mid August, First Class (Open Saloon). Perhaps this could be a repository of information and experiences for the coming season. The website carries details of the social distancing measures that are planned to be employed on board.
The first one was 45407 and 62005 top and tailling a rake of carriages. This is 45407 when it eventually got to Garelochhead

FQTV

The first one was 45407 and 62005 top and tailling a rake of carriages. This is 45407 when it eventually got to Garelochhead

Seeing things like this definitely improves my mood at the moment! Looking forward to next month enormously.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
How have things been going on with the Jacobite in the past couple of weeks.?

FQTV

West Coast Railways has announced that the afternoon service will now run every day until Sunday 27th September.

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip. Straight off The Highlander and across the platform on to The Jacobite.

Slightly oddly perhaps, at least given the protocols in place on the Settle Carlisle charter and The Northern Belle, The Jacobite is following the public service policy of 'masks on' unless eating or drinking. There was an at-seat trolley service throughout the train, cheerfully-delivered. Hand sanitiser was in all vestibules. In First Class Coach A, each bay has a stained wooden partition. Given that the interiors themselves are neither original nor expecially authentic to anything other than a vague Pullmanesque notion, the partitions weren't in any way glaring or intrusive.

One thing that I did wonder was whether they affected airflow within the saloon, and particularly the amount of soot drawn in, which was considerable (given glorious weather and wide open top vents).

Anyway, we only travelled one way, but with the social distancing measures in place, that meant that we had a spacious table for four for the cost of only two seats, so £65 each. That seemed like not bad value for something that we'd have otherwise have had to do on a 156, as we effectively used it as a service train to get to the Armadale ferry.

One thing to perhaps note is that the train is marshalled so that the tables for two in First are on the South/West side of the train, so they are still preferable for views, even if not as spacious as the fours on the North/East side. Finally, note that a party of two in Standard Class will also receive a table for four, but there's no way of knowing in advance which side you'll be on.

I will post a few pictures shortly.

9907D207-2329-40CB-A889-275F611E7479.jpeg

9D3A7138-6025-491D-92B5-241313D4105D.jpeg

94CEA365-A81E-4A25-BF42-DFF19ECEEDBA.jpeg

214831FC-F37D-4B78-BE7D-88EB20A533BB.jpeg

2D28EC23-D6B1-4640-A9B6-49A6C60E5EFD.jpeg

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Great photos, I have been behind The Lancashire Fusilier a few time too on the main line.

peteb

Lovely day by the look of things. It would be interesting to see any other photos of train interiors, especially 2nd class. Are they still selling the compartments on this train?

FQTV

Lovely day by the look of things. It would be interesting to see any other photos of train interiors, especially 2nd class. Are they still selling the compartments on this train?

I didn’t take a picture of a Standard Class carriage, I’m afraid, but the partitions between each bay of four are essentially done in the same way, except that they’re clear Perspex rather than wood.

They are running compartments on the morning service only, but from what I can see, they’re sold-out until the end of the season. I suspect that this is in part due to some canny folks realising that if you booked two seats in a compartment, you’d get the whole thing to yourself.

Meerkat

Established Member
Don’t the wooden partitions rather restrict the views out other bays windows, important for looking at big scenery?

FQTV

Don’t the wooden partitions rather restrict the views out other bays windows, important for looking at big scenery?

Not really; the Pullman-style armchairs are high-backed, so there are no lines of sight other than out of each bay’s window and the one opposite anyway.

Meerkat

Established Member
Not really; the Pullman-style armchairs are high-backed, so there are no lines of sight other than out of each bay’s window and the one opposite anyway.
Ok. I’m 6’3” so I am used to seeing over the top! That’s why I really like the 444s, which are like a long greenhouse.

FQTV

Ok. I’m 6’3” so I am used to seeing over the top! That’s why I really like the 444s, which are like a long greenhouse.

Even at that height, the best you’d get would be a postage stamp of window at even the next bay along, so it’s really inconsequential.

peteb

I didn’t take a picture of a Standard Class carriage, I’m afraid, but the partitions between each bay of four are essentially done in the same way, except that they’re clear Perspex rather than wood.

They are running compartments on the morning service only, but from what I can see, they’re sold-out until the end of the season. I suspect that this is in part due to some canny folks realising that if you booked two seats in a compartment, you’d get the whole thing to yourself.
Thanks for that, I'll book early for a compartment in 2021 then.....

FQTV

Tickets are now available for the 2021 season, commencing 2nd April and running through to 29th October for the morning service, and 26th April to 1st October for the afternoon service.

Status
Not open for further replies.