• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloogrape

[I shall keep this topic uptodate]

Well as you know First Great Western won the bid and i had passed the interview for Train Conductor before december, I received a letter in december saying that FGW have won the bid and that the conductor recruitment process was put on hold as they had to review the whole process.

Finaly on saturday i woke up to a letter saying that the process is moving forward and that if i was still interested in the job to contact them before the 10th, Which i shall contact them tomorrow to tel them i am, Hopefully i will get the assesment date or confirmation on the call tomorrow :D

I am confidant i will pass the assesment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looking forward to potentially hearing you doing announcements on The Cathedrals Express (that's the 0653 HFD - Padd, by the way)!

nutter

As we're talking of new jobs. I recived a letter this morning from Network Rail offering me a place at a selection day (sometime in March) for their 3 year apprentiship. I put down for a sig techie.

bloogrape

Called up this morning and spoke to HR, i should be getting a letter with assesment date and a ticket to newport!

bloogrape

nutter said:
As we're talking of new jobs. I recived a letter this morning from Network Rail offering me a place at a selection day (sometime in March) for their 3 year apprentiship. I put down for a sig techie.

Thats pretty cool, if you was just working for network rail id turn an eye and go "nah" but 3year trainning with network rail. you got a nice carreer lined up hopefully. best of luck with it!

nutter

One problem. I want to be a driver. What I might do is leave NR at about 30 and then go for a TOC and see if I can become a driver. It might require a break (It's hard to move between the 2 sides of the railways) and go into the army as a driver for 4 years.

bloogrape

nutter said:
One problem. I want to be a driver. What I might do is leave NR at about 30 and then go for a TOC and see if I can become a driver. It might require a break (It's hard to move between the 2 sides of the railways) and go into the army as a driver for 4 years.

That is true... could try my path.. conductor then driver?

Network rail have drivers for there mechanical trains... it might be easyer getting into EWS from NR...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
bloogrape said:
Called up this morning and spoke to HR, i should be getting a letter with assesment date and a ticket to newport!

Quality! Let us know when you do Newport. More so how you get on!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice...Get the experience in now, easier to jump into what you want to do at 21 right away. I didn't do so, now I'm 21 and still unable to do what I want. Working slowly on sorting that out though, just requires me to get a new job first.

Met Driver

Established Member
If anyone is looking at doing some kind of apprenticeship, leading to a job as a driver, look no further than here. The only obvious drawback is the lack of decent traction. ;)

T

Tom

GBRF have some EDs, and didn't they do the 47s contract for the 442 to Ilford?

nutter

If anyone is looking at doing some kind of apprenticeship, leading to a job as a driver, look no further than here. The only obvious drawback is the lack of decent traction.

No good for me unfortunatly, you need two years experinace, I only have 3 weeks from work experiance

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
bloogrape said:

so the assessment centre is still at newport, I know exactly where it is lol! good luck mate!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
nutter said:
If anyone is looking at doing some kind of apprenticeship, leading to a job as a driver, look no further than here. The only obvious drawback is the lack of decent traction.

No good for me unfortunatly, you need two years experinace, I only have 3 weeks from work experiance

I read that as the training scheme will give you to two years experience

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Seth said:
If anyone is looking at doing some kind of apprenticeship, leading to a job as a driver, look no further than here. The only obvious drawback is the lack of decent traction. ;)

I wouldn't care about driving 66s all day! The money's in freight!

*Runs for more information on the app*

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Potential problem for me is the need to move to London or at least pretty damn close to it. AB!

Still, I'll get the information down here for further reading, I'll get that done tomorrow! I can imagine if I got it, I think I'd have to change usernames...FGWFan - GBRfan

nutter

Potential problem for me is the need to move to London or at least pretty damn close to it

Where did you see that. I have read the page a couple of times and I can't see it. I have trouble using the e-mail addresses on the contacts page. Is anyone else having the same problem

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not seen the contact addy yet. As their contact address via mail is in London, I can see a need to move down that way. Unless they're happy with me commuting down from up here to meetings and what have you in London...Don't think my bank balance can survive either, but I'll still want that info! Would be nice to know more about this sort of thing!

steve158

bloogrape said:

Well as you know First Great Western won the bid and i had passed the interview for Train Conductor before december, I received a letter in december saying that FGW have won the bid and that the conductor recruitment process was put on hold as they had to review the whole process.

Finaly on saturday i woke up to a letter saying that the process is moving forward and that if i was still interested in the job to contact them before the 10th, Which i shall contact them tomorrow to tel them i am, Hopefully i will get the assesment date or confirmation on the call tomorrow :D

well done, i was told just don't rush over the assements and relax. it's not that hard, well i passed it.

is it for reading depot?? i applied to worcester but i got a similar letter.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
nutter said:
I have contacted GBRF and you must be 18 to apply :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Never mind, just means I can finish my college course. applying again in a year.

hmm me to I think lol! Still I think i'll do at least a year on the buses, thinking what I'm thinking FGWFan?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I am indeed, although TBH I don't care really what job I do at the moment, I'm so skint I can't see how I'm going to survive the time til Oban, let alone the trip itself or after it...On the 5th day in a row of no spotting, bashing or anything at the moment, now it's getting to me. I don't think I'll manage that 2-week target, 7 days will have to be my maximum for now. Still means waiting til 0001 on Tuesday 24th before I can go spotting or bashing again! :x :cry:

bloogrape

steve158 said:
bloogrape said:

well done, i was told just don't rush over the assements and relax. it's not that hard, well i passed it.

is it for reading depot?? i applied to worcester but i got a similar letter.

Yep Reading depot

bloogrape

Bugger i was so hopeing for the trip to newport! looks like a local trip to venture house again for the assesment on the 3rd feb. the prictise sheet is the same as the one i had taken with SWT so i hopefully should pass and keep this site updated with pictures and my carreer.

If i fail il kick myself left right and center and cry my ass off and start hating FGW lol

Status
Not open for further replies.