• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Journey Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

Introducing you to 'The Journey Game', a suggestion from forum member [m="Temple Meads"]7431[/m] - the aim of the game is to guess what journey the question setter is thinking about, through a series of clues.

The Rules said:
  • 1. The aim of the game is to work out what journey a player is thinking about with the help of a series of clues, three major elements have to be deduced; the originating station, the destination station and the TOC/Rolling Stock travelled on, one clue for each element must be set in the first post, along with a clue regarding the actual journey which should be about something like landmarks passed, the sort of area you pass, or the type of journey that it is (the clues can be reasonably ambiguous at this stage, as long as the round gets easier as it goes along)
  • 2. One new clue must be set out in each response by the “Journey Setter” (the Journey Setter is the player who currently has the floor), a round is only finished when all the elements have been solved.
  • 3. After the initial post by the Journey Setter only one new clue can be posted at a time.
  • 4. The journeys must be real UK National Rail journeys at all times, journeys with changes are not currently permitted, although there is scope for this at a later date.
  • 5. If 48 hours pass without response from the Journey Setter the floor becomes open.
  • 6. If 24 hours pass without any responses to a Journey, the Journey Setter can post a new clue.
  • 7. The winner of each round takes the floor, unless they declare open floor (please do this when posting responses, to keep the game moving).
  • 8. If a player gets only one or two elements of a Journey correct, the Journey Setter can declare that fact, although that will make the rest of the game easier as the first player to post a response with all three journey elements correct will win the round.
  • 9. Finally have fun, and if you have any questions please contact Temple Meads by PM.

I hope you all understand these, please direct any queries to either Temple Meads as above or to any QuizMaster and we'll try our best to get back to you as soon as we can.

Here's the first Challenge:

As a first journey, try this:

1. The originating station has more than 5 platforms.
2. The destination station is DC electrified.
3. The stock is diesel powered.
4. The journey takes over two hours.

But what is it?

Over to you.

'transportphoto'
QuizMaster

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
So it's {Cardiff Central | Bristol Temple Meads} to {Southampton Central | Fareham | Cosham | Fratton | Portsmouth and Southsea | Portsmouth Harbour}

I don't have time to try all 11 remaining combinations :P

Ivo

Established Member
Bristol TM to Southampton Central would have been my suggestion even before I saw the above posts. Having said that though, it only takes~1h40 - so let's change "Southampton Central" to "Portsmouth Harbour".

BRI - PMH

Ivo

Established Member
I didn't see any point in declaring it being a 158 (usually) because it had already been done.

Anyhow, let's see if I've got this right:

• The origin station is within five miles of the coast, and is electrified.
• The destination station is one of the more important stations in its urban area, but is by no means the most important.
• In spite of the last clause (linguistically speaking) in Clue 1, this service is operated exclusively by diesel units.
• The service operates in tandem with a similar but less prominent commuter service between a station in a town of two stations and the destination station.
Temple Meads is unlikely to have ever travelled on this service. (Sorry! ;))

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
Anyhow, let's see if I've got this right:
Almost ;)

I'd prefer the rolling stock clue referred directly to the actual stock rather than the types of traction on the journey, and you only need 4 clues, rather than 5 ;)

I won't actually make a guess just yet, it's obviously not going to be in area of knowledge :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
I've changed Clue 3 to suit.

Also, where does it say "only four clues"? I was going to leave it at four at first, but then added the fifth because it amused me :p

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
• The origin station is within five miles of the coast, and is electrified.
• The destination station is one of the more important stations in its urban area, but is by no means the most important.
• In spite of the last clause (linguistically speaking) in Clue 1, this service is operated exclusively by diesel units.
• The service operates in tandem with a similar but less prominent commuter service between a station in a town of two stations and the destination station.

Any ideas on this one people?

TP

Robinson

Southport to Manchester Victoria? (Running in tandem with Kirkby/Wigan Wallgate-Manchester/Rochdale stoppers from Wigan...)

Ivo

Established Member
Southport is correct, as is Robinson's reasoning; MCV is not. Note it says that the station is "by no means the msot important"; is MCV not the most important station in Manchester in some respects? For instance being #1 of all the 100% diesel stationos

Robinson

Southport is correct, as is Robinson's reasoning; MCV is not. Note it says that the station is "by no means the msot important"; is MCV not the most important station in Manchester in some respects? For instance being #1 of all the 100% diesel stationos

I had no idea about MCV being #1 of all the 100% diesel stations; I merely read that clue as saying the terminus station is not the most important in the urban area, which MCV indeed is not.

I'm struggling to think where else it could be now, given the other clues (and the fact that you've said Southport was right)...

Ivo

Established Member
I had no idea about MCV being #1 of all the 100% diesel stations; I merely read that clue as saying the terminus station is not the most important in the urban area, which MCV indeed is not.

Can you name a busier or more prominent station in the Manchester area that sees no electric service? No - because there isn't one. Both Piccadilly and Oxford Road are electrified (even if the latter does have little in the way of electric running).

Southport to Salford Central

To quote Snake from The Simpsons: Close, but no donut, cop!

Eagle

Established Member
Can you name a busier or more prominent station in the Manchester area that sees no electric service? No - because there isn't one. Both Piccadilly and Oxford Road are electrified (even if the latter does have little in the way of electric running).

Your clue mentioned nothing about the terminus station being unelectrified.

Ivo

Established Member
Southport to Salford Crescent (specifically via Bolton) is the correct answer.

Your clue mentioned nothing about the terminus station being unelectrified.

I am aware of that. I used the electrification of MAN and MCO as evidence that MCV is the most prominent station in the conurbation in at least one sense, given it was suggested as a possibility for the destination which (as proven here) is not possible.

------------------------

IN RELATION TO A POST BELOW:

In what way is Salford Crescent not the most prominent station in Salford? The only thing Salford Central has more of is years it has existed...

The question specifies urban areas, not cities or settlements.

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Hopefully i have this right, apologies if i haven't
  • The starting station for this journey is electrified
  • The Finishing point for this journey has Platforms which are not in order.
  • The Rolling stock is of the Diesel variety
  • While on this journey, we pass at least one set of Semaphores
  • From the train we view a Park and Ride site and a Power station.
  • This Journey involves two Swing-bridges.
  • The Park and Ride site is not a Railway station.
Clue 2: When i say not in order, i mean the platforms do not follow the order the first platform is one, the second platform is two etc, prehaps this will help people

Last edited:

dzug2

Manchester Piccadilly to Oxford? I think there's semaphores in Banbury

Robinson

Southport to Salford Crescent (specifically via Bolton) is the correct answer.

In what way is Salford Crescent not the most prominent station in Salford? The only thing Salford Central has more of is years it has existed...

Status
Not open for further replies.