• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The joy of Pacers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidash

First things first: rabblerabblerabblepacersaretheworstestunsaftestetetedtrainsevever!rabblerabblerabble;) (I don't mind 'em, as I can atleast fit me legs in the quad seats!)

Down here, in the land that time has not only forgotten, but actively avoided there seems to be a few issues with the 143's which are getting linked up to each other.

In the last few days I've had one which had to be decoupled at Exeter St Davids [EXD] due to the lights conking in the rear unit, in the middle of the peak. 'twas a bit of a squeeze....:)

Yesterday was a more....interesting adventure. Got the 1520 from Exeter Central [EXC], everything was fine and dandy, nearly full but no standing (for a change) but as we were leaving Torre, some kind of alarm went off in the unit I was in - guard informs us the fire detection was playing up for some reason, possibly electrical related so we'd lost power, driver goes to back cab, attempts to isolate the cause, seems to all good as we roll into Torquay.

We leave Torquay, all seeming good again.......annnd it comes to a standstill again. This time the drivers gets out, has a stroll around the side to isolate again. A fitter appears out of no where (Think I've seen him around Paignton before) who starts fiddling as well. We eventually get moving again, and roll into Paignton about 30 odd minutes late. Didn't bother me, at least we had a nice view of the bay:D They were planning to decouple the troublesome unit at Paignton. Not sure if the rather large crowd waiting at Paignton were that patient though!

Throughout the experience, the guard was very informative of everything that was going on, making sure to wander down the aisle as the tannoy was knackered, relaying information often in quite technical detail. Apparently it was his first train breakdown, so wanted it to go as smoothly as possible, and I commend his willingness to be informative.

Anyway, this was an odd one for me, as Ive been using the 143's regularly for three years now, and I've not had any breakdowns untill now. Possibly they don't react well to the heat of spring :lol: I just saw in GD that Northern are reporting that their pacers are conking out at regular intervals as well. Coincidence or not? We shall never know!!! (Uh, fairly sure it is....)

Not entirely sure why I wanted to share this, but hey ho.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Looking at the title of your new thread, up here in the "Elephants Graveyard" version of the elderly offerings of the DMU fleet, we would not normally associate the combination of the two words "Joy" and "Pacers" in the same sentence when describing any of "Newton Heath's Finest"...<(

Rapidash

I honestly don't have a huge problem with 'em! They have pretty good space for all the bikes and wheelchairs! They have more than one seat I can actually use and not take up another seat!:D and unlike the 153's they do have a bit of space for any poor sod who has to stand

They are knackered though, thats for sure. Rattle rattle!

And the Devon Metro fleet is equally as elderly as yours up north ;) We've not even discovered electric(al railways)! ;)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
They are knackered though, thats for sure. Rattle rattle!

And the Devon Metro fleet is equally as elderly as yours up north ;) We've not even discovered electric(al railways)! ;)

Have you now been divested of the Class 142 monstrosities in your corner of the world ?

I remember these being painted in a famous chocolate and cream livery in their more youthful days.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
Its easy to bash pacers but we have got to remember that they transport thousands of people to work every day and if I lived in New Mills, Gargrave, Bradford or a remote part of Devon I would rather have a more regular train service than less regular one but with no pacers.

Emyr

I would contest that despite their shared mechanical foibles, your 143s are more pleasant vehicles in which to be delayed than the 142s "maintained" on behalf of Northern.

When I lived in Cardiff, the ATW Pacers (also 143?) didn't stand out as relics amongst the rolling stock.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Its easy to bash pacers but we have got to remember that they transport thousands of people to work every day and if I lived in New Mills, Gargrave, Bradford or a remote part of Devon I would rather have a more regular train service than less regular one but with no pacers.

Strangely enough, I do not harbour similar feelings to the Class 143 and 144 fleets, as I do for the Class 142 fleet. Is there a medical explanation as to why the Class 142 fleet engender such a dangerous raising of blood pressure when that topic surfaces for certain forum members..:oops:

Rapidash

Have you now been divested of the Class 142 monstrosities in your corner of the world ?

I remember these being painted in a famous chocolate and cream livery in their more youthful days.

Alas, the 142's which once graced Devon with their presence are now, uh...back up there ;)

starrymarkb

Established Member
143s and 144s were built by Alexander (now Alexander Dennis) and seem to be better built then the Leyland built 142s. Also FGW and ATW have given them decent refurbs - 2+2 Chapmans

thenorthern

Established Member
One thing I find is 143 and 144s look more like other trains compared to the 142s has anyone else noticed this?

Rapidash

Its probably down to how the 'face' looks. The 143's have a similar front to a 150 and other flatfronted classes. Th 142 have that odd..bulbous look around the lights.

Established Member
I think its fair to say the 143/144's are a bit better than the 142's, and with the 142's being partially built out of standard bus panels from buses which are long gone as should the 142's be. I remember being on a refurbished GW 143 a couple of years ago and regarded it as luxury compared to the usual northern flea ridden s**te.

Of course the problem with Northern railbuses isn't just the fact that they railbuses, its the fact that the state of the interior of many of Northern's trains until recently were a disgrace, and the fact Northern trains are a national disgrace and embaresment to this country.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
It'll be a joy when every single last pacer unit gets scrapped. How viable for an eventual replacement would a similar bodied unit be with with proper bogies at the ends and every intermediate connection being an articulated connection (like how the TGV coaches are joined)?

Tracked

Established Member
Of course the problem with Northern railbuses isn't just the fact that they railbuses, its the fact that the state of the interior of many of Northern's trains until recently were a disgrace, and the fact Northern trains are a national disgrace and embaresment to this country.

there's still quite a few 142's round here trundling around in a worrying state internally - the metal strips holding the paneling inside coming loose, paneling on the roof looking buckled, still having the Northern Spirit green seats from 15 yrs ago or the bus style 3+2 seating. Could also add that on a lot of the ones without the Northern Spirit-era seating that little's been done apart from replace the seats.

144's may ride fairly badly, but the refurb's done on them a few years ago mean they're quite decent internally and seating-wise. It's a pity the 142's didn't get the same thing, if they're going to withdraw them in 2019 I assume all they'll do in the meantime is basic patching over jobs :|

anthony263

Established Member
May I submit the name of a well-known company, C. F. Booth in Rotherham, as a candidate to carry out the task to which you allude...:D

Should ask Mr Clarkson and co. if they can come up with something to destroy some 142's.

I admit I have a bit of a soft spot for our class 143's down here in south wales since they are far superior to the class 142's especially since they are far more reliable.

One good thing though with the ATW and FGW acer fleets is that they have been refurbished with 2 + 2 seating with has made a lot more room for standing passengers.

Beveridges

Established Member
Pacers should have been scrapped decades ago. They were built as a stop gap and were very bottom spec in the mid 1980s. They have no place on the railway today.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Pacers to their credit (as much as I hate them) have kinda paved the way to the next generation of lightweight units - tram-trains - which seem destined to service routes close into major urban areas, bridging the gap between too far for trams, not far enough for trains - I'm looking forward to seeing how the Rotherham pilot goes, just crossing my fingers that the new units don't waggle as much as the new metrolink trams on the Altrincham line at 45mph+ !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Pacers to their credit (as much as I hate them) have kinda paved the way to the next generation of lightweight units - tram-trains - which seem destined to service routes close into major urban areas, bridging the gap between too far for trams, not far enough for trains - I'm looking forward to seeing how the Rotherham pilot goes, just crossing my fingers that the new units don't waggle as much as the new metrolink trams on the Altrincham line at 45mph+ !
The issue being whether, after the novelty has worn off, these new tram trains actually represent an improvement in the passenger environment to the pacers. Personally I'd prefer a pacer with a loo than a tram without, and whilst it might be touch and go whether one might represent more comfort over a 142, I find it extremely unlikely that the passenger environment will be better than a 143 or 144.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Ultimately it depends on how tram-trains get deployed - running one between for example Rotherham Parkgate to Sheffield City Centre may be acceptable, extending that to for example Worksop to Dore via Sheffield Midland may not be as acceptable as a tram-train, but very acceptable as a Pacer. I'd suggest that some form of lightweight train is still required, a hybrid diesel electric formed of 20m carriages with bags of space for prams and cycles and a loo would be ideal - I'd like to see new trains with an automated platform ramp each side for wheelchairs and prams, but that's another debate

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I would love to go to booths to see all of Northern Rails 142s and 144s rotting away. Hopefully I will when they go...

Darren R

Established Member
May I submit the name of a well-known company, C. F. Booth in Rotherham, as a candidate to carry out the task to which you allude...:D

Of course that pre-supposes that Booths will want them when the time comes! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I would love to go to booths to see all of Northern Rails 142s and 144s rotting away. Hopefully I will when they go...

You won't be the only one! Future Forum Trip? :D

Parallel

Established Member
I echo what others have said in this thread - I've only ever travelled on three pacers - A Northern Rail 142 with bus seats, and an ATW 142 & 143. The 143 was definitely the nicest ride - I just ate some lunch before going on a 142 and started to feel a bit ill whilst being shaken around. :lol:

Although the refurbishments aren't too bad on ATW, it probably doesn't help that they run so many pacers on such an intense timetable... As if there's a major train fault or if one breaks down, the valley lines can descend into chaos. I think there was an issue with this last year, when the brakes of a 142 heading to Merthyr Tydfil (IIRC) jammed on at Cardiff Queen Street.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Occasionally ATW have to cover the midday Fishguard Boat service with a Pacer vice 150/158. This is not very comfortable if passengers have had a rough crossing across the Irish Sea.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd suggest that some form of lightweight train is still required, a hybrid diesel electric formed of 20m carriages with bags of space for prams and cycles and a loo would be ideal - I'd like to see new trains with an automated platform ramp each side for wheelchairs and prams, but that's another debate

Maybe another debate, but a very sensible suggestion.

I would suggest that this would most likely be the greater saviour of our future regional rail network than tram-trains.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Occasionally ATW have to cover the midday Fishguard Boat service with a Pacer vice 150/158. This is not very comfortable if passengers have had a rough crossing across the Irish Sea.

As long as it's not a Pacer on the 14th June, I will be happy ;)

Bodie

Love the thread title :D

I have a love/hate thing with pacers. My natural urge is to snarl at them but and I think it's because I now live many hundreds of miles from them, I do kind of like them.

I used to get a 142 to and from college about ten years ago. Now I did whoop and jump for joy when I looked down the line of a morn and see a 150/153 or heaven sent a 156. That is understandable though.

Back then whatever TOC it was - Frist North Western? got hold of a Valley lines livered 142 for a few months. Wow, that thing was something else. Remember how amazed I was the first time that turned up and I got a ride on it's 'proper' seats and not the usual bus seats. I was all confused - 'A 142 but it looks like a real train inside?!'

I do believe i'll miss them when they do go.

There is certainly nothing else like them!

What can be said that is good about them? - A Northern commuter can say to his South Eastern counterpart that they can keep their shiny, long, modern, safe train. For his has a toilet. :D
Also that area behind the driver's cab by the doors is quite roomy. Bikes and pushchairs, even both at the same time are not a problem for this area.
Gives the pacer a nice open feeling.

Ending on a serious note though. Death traps, we all know what happened at Winsford. It is a disgrace that they allowed anywhere near mainlines and proper trains. A proper train and a pacer smash into one another and the folk on the proper train will rue the spilt coffees, the folk in the pacer will be dead - the lot of 'em.

Death trap on wheels aside, God bless the crazy, bus come train, nodding, rattling, bouncing things.

Wavertreelad

I'm just wondering how many current 142 bashers will in five or six years time be moaning that none are to be preserved. I'm no fan, but at the end of the day over the years they have done what is says on the can, got passengers from A to B.

Status
Not open for further replies.