• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Kings Cross hologram-a new form of torture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'd probably just draw a Hitler 'tache or a willy on her. I'm surprised the drunks at Leeds haven't done yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I find it very creepy - violating, almost - when nobody is about she sort of pauses and then points at you and beckons as you approach, before flickering a bit and then trundling out her stuff. It's all very wrong!!!!!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There is also one at bottom of the escalators leading up to London Bridge Southern concourse from the Underground now, someone was getting a photo / video of her when I passed yesterday.

I find it very creepy - violating, almost - when nobody is about she sort of pauses and then points at you and beckons as you approach, before flickering a bit and then trundling out her stuff. It's all very wrong!!!!!

Agreed. Ran into my first one at Leeds a couple of weeks ago and it is soooooo weird, slightly creepy actually, with all the nodding and enticing she does. At the very most just repeat the prose.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The longer you look, the worse it feels. On closer inspection, she seems very out of proportion too - although it could just be the one I was looking at at Leeds, I think it is a belt you can see she has on, but it's in the wrong place for her height if she were standing, and results in childlike proportions with a woman's face. Eugh!

Abpj17

*sighs* seen her at Blackfriars this week

I'd rather money was spent on ticket machines that actually sold a better range of ticket types (extensions etc.)

table38

Established Member
The Manchester Piccadilly "holograms" are a lot less irritating, far less prone to technical failures, don't say "elevator" and are cheaper too I would imagine :)

IMAG2190.jpg

alexl92

Established Member
I was just thinking this week how much I hate these things, glad I'm not alone!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
At least one has appeared at New Street, irritatingly close to the seating area but with a whole repertoire of safety-related messages which at least makes it slightly less repetitive.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
How soon before someone stops to read the notice and causes a pileup at the top of the escalator?

I've seen that almost happen a couple of times at St Pancras where there's text-heavy notices about accidents on escalators - at just the point where someone stopping to read them is in the way of everyone getting on thee escalators.

Cletus

Established Member
There's now a hologram at the bottom of the escalator leading up to the St Pancras HS1 platforms. :(

Murph

I've seen that almost happen a couple of times at St Pancras where there's text-heavy notices about accidents on escalators - at just the point where someone stopping to read them is in the way of everyone getting on thee escalators.

Warning: Please ensure that you are not distracted by warnings while undertaking the complex boarding of this escalator! ;)

alexl92

Established Member
I'd probably just draw a Hitler 'tache or a willy on her. I'm surprised the drunks at Leeds haven't done yet.

I'm surprised at that too!

I've actually submitted a complaint via NR's twitter account about these hologram things. They said they'd 'Pass it on to our station team' so we'll see. If they cost £12k, they're unlikely to bin them soon.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm surprised at that too!

I've actually submitted a complaint via NR's twitter account about these hologram things. They said they'd 'Pass it on to our station team' so we'll see. If they cost £12k, they're unlikely to bin them soon.

But maybe we can stop them getting any more.

And if they're paying £12k, someone's making a lot of money.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's why the lady at KGX gives that little smile and wave. It's her having a laugh at how much money the company has made.

I mean, it's a metal cabinet, off the shelf projector, perspex, motion detector and speaker - and possibly a computer that hardly needs a high specification.

How does that add up to cost the same as a reasonably well specced hatchback?

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
I had the misfortune to be standning next to her this evening waiting for the platform for my train to be announced ...
There was a couple next to me with lots of luggage who obviously took no notice as their train was announced a couple of minutes later for platform 5 & they then straight past her onto the escalator with 3 large suitcases between them!

She has been cloned (or has a twin sister) as she also made an appearance by one of the escalators at Leeds station when I went through last week.

alexl92

Established Member
She has been cloned (or has a twin sister) as she also made an appearance by one of the escalators at Leeds station when I went through last week.

There are 5 or 6 in Leeds station. The techie in me wants to pull the power every time I see them.

jon0844

Veteran Member
[sarcasm]It must be the millions spent on R&D that needs to be recovered.[/sarcasm]

£12k is an absolute rip off. If true (and it wasn't that the £12k was for a number of units for a station, rather than each item) then I am surprised the media isn't on this and Network Rail with demands to know why it has wasted potentially hundreds of thousands of pounds with the roll out of these around the rail network.

What's worse is that companies like Casio came up with this idea a few years back, but for a lot less money and also a lot more stylish. I don't believe for a nanosecond that these even cost a tenth of what these ones supposedly do.

On second thoughts, rather than exposing Network Rail, perhaps I should be more clever than that and simply think of something I can make for a few hundred quid and sell for over ten grand.

alexl92

Established Member
Just for clarification, the figure of £12k came from a comment made by someone further back in the thread. I don't know if it's entirely correct or not.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Nor me, hence me saying 'if true'. Although I think I'd be just as outraged if I found out they cost even £2k.

I've looked at once close up and they're nothing special. Just a projector in a box pointed at a bit of perspex cut out to look like a torso.

There are others that use rear projection (obviously this means fixing the position of the person) and look a WHOLE lot better, as well as counter top ones that take up less room.

In fact, there's really nothing positive about these at all - and the very people stupid enough to still take large bags on the escalator do so anyway.

jon0844

Veteran Member
That would be awesome! Almost worth the money, although I suspect the early series of Red Dwarf probably cost less than £12k!

Status
Not open for further replies.