• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Kings Cross hologram-a new form of torture

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
Many escalators and travelators have audible warnings with sensors and have done for years. An expensive projector seems overkill, and not very effective given people ignore them anyway.

I am not sure how to stop people putting dangerously large bags on an escalator which then falls down taking people with it, but these things don't seem very effective.

I expect the only effective solution is a real person, and at a busy station you could roster people so nobody has the sole job of minding the stairs/escalator!
I think the best solution is to make the escalators too narrow for large suitcases (and perhaps some people) to fit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
The problem is probably space. At the bottom of some escalators, some barriers would cause problems with people stepping off. And as escalators can work both ways, it would be hassle to remove them (if possible at all).

asylumxl

Established Member
The problem is probably space. At the bottom of some escalators, some barriers would cause problems with people stepping off. And as escalators can work both ways, it would be hassle to remove them (if possible at all).
I suppose. Lots of places have a post at each end to stop people taking such things on them, but they do cause issues sometimes.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I suppose. Lots of places have a post at each end to stop people taking such things on them, but they do cause issues sometimes.
Volunteer bouncers? Who would get manhandle people stupid enough to try and carry huge cases, in lieu of payment.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Mind you, it wouldn't be too difficult to hide her completely, as she has a pillar on one side and a sign on the other .... just move the sign slightly to the right, and that's her invisible. The result, though, would presumably be a ghostly voice chatting away from thin air, which would probably be even more confusing!!

The poor girl is now completely hidden as I forecast.

There's two signs right in front of her, so she's invisible. I'm not sure whether she's been switched off, as I haven't heard any sounds when I've walked past her recently .... bless!

I asked one of the gate line staff a couple of days ago whether he didn't think that it was cruel to do this to her. He wasn't very impressed by the concept, and not at all worried about what had been done!

Status
Not open for further replies.