• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Lancashire Witch

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Just to let you know, there is a tour on Saturday.

Birmingham to Preston and return, hauled by 2 FM Rail Class 31s. It will got via Burton-on-Trent, Derby, Chesterfield and Sheffield, before going non-stop to Preston via Wakefield Kirkgate, Hebdon Bridge and Blackburn.

The return is from Preston via Manchester Victoria, Stalybridge and then across to Sheffield, then down to Birmingham as above.

Times have been changed from the ones stated on the Hertfordshire site, with the tour arriving in Sheffield an hour later both ways.

I'll post fully timings if and when I get them with my tickets this week.

Might be something worth photting...;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Any intermediate timings for where it doesn't call at yet?

Just received the tickets today. The only timings listed are:

Code:
Birmingham New Street 
08:32   20:20

Burton-on-Trent 
09:09   19:44

Derby
09:46   19:28

Chesterfield 
10:13   18:52

Sheffield 
10:33   18:24

Preston 
13:14   15:15

No intermediate times as yet, but I'm sure they'll crop up on a gen group before the end of the week. If anyone finds them feel free to post them. :)

Established Member
Any ideas as to what stock we will be having? Haven't heard anything about the broken stock at OY being returned to use...and thats the Merrymaker rake IIRC.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Any ideas as to what stock we will be having? Haven't heard anything about the broken stock at OY being returned to use...and thats the Merrymaker rake IIRC.

The NENTA tour in December (which took place after the Oxley incident) used a mixed rake of Blue Pullman coaches and IC/ex VT stuff so they still have some operational Merrymaker vehicles, even if not a 12 coach rake (I suspect this tour might not be that long though?). There's also the Green Train which could be used.

1VWC

All stock leased/owned by FM is impounded until inspections are carried out (done with all the locos that have returned to service and the BP which was a priority)...whether this has been done to the other rakes or not is another question. The Green Train sounds likely...has it been out since FM went under? I'd wrap up warm 87015, just in case!

As an afterthought, there is the ex-VWC Mark 3 rake at Wembley which has been used for this sort of eventuality once before (Aberdeen anyone?!) and sure would make an interesting sight with a pair of 31s. There's also a 'refreshed' Mark 3 rake in LM having a 'retro' look applied in readiness for becoming a charter set... Perhaps these two options are far fetched (even though rather outrageous!)...

Established Member
Thanks for the info, case of wait and see then!
Don't know if WB64 could be used as its off-lease now, was on-lease when it had its jolly to Aberdeen.

I just hope it runs as booked, playing the annual game of avoiding a skoda for first loco of the year, gets harder every year! Be nice to to have 452 again, good old Bed-Bley machine, those will remain as Fragonsets best days for me!

The Snap

Established Member
Saturday will be my first tour, so am really looking forward to it. I hope the 31s are on form! :D

The Snap

Established Member
No I won't, they will probably both fail knowing my luck...:(:lol:

1VWC

Just for Mr 87015. Looks like you won't have to wear thermals tomorrow as the Green Train isn't involved! All going to plan*, it should be a Mark 2 aircon rake. Inspection completed earlier this week.

*=dont shoot the messenger!

metrocammel

I just hope it runs as booked, playing the annual game of avoiding a skoda for first loco of the year, gets harder every year! Be nice to to have 452 again, good old Bed-Bley machine, those will remain as Fragonsets best days for me!

Unfortunately, I have already had too much Skoda mileage on the XC diag this year.... :cry: but oh well, it's still lhcs...

I *may* phot this tour and/or get if there are any nice stewards, get a part fare shack to shack desparate move type thing..... ;)

1VWC

Just had a text saying 31128 and 454.
Rather have the other pair myself, but no doubt others with the opposite opinion. Early start by my student standards tomorrow!

459 required by NR tonight as the only FM one available in the area that is modified for unmanned push pull operation. This type of work takes priority over charters.

454 had its FTR/inspection completed in time and one half of the original pair is now owned by Cotswold Rail.

Never fear, there's still 12 hours to go...ample time for an FM farce!

The Snap

Established Member
The tour was awesome - very little delays, and in some places early! Locos were on top forms, and the train was packed. Must have been 200-300 people photting it around its route!

Cheers to FM for a great day! :D

Established Member
Completely in agreement with Rich, a great tour.
A bonus in that 33103 worked forward from Derby with 31454 seemingly only an Ethel from there, maybe the goyles low on fuel (??).
30 late off Brum, 40 late back, did cause some people a few problems getting home.

A few phots http://redcow.fotopic.net/c1189691.html

Also, goes to show at the right price (and times, decent route etc) you CAN fill a train with cranks looking for a decent day out.

Well done FM/Victa/Hertfordshire/whoever! £30-great value.

The Snap

Established Member
The route was awesome - really well planned. The scenery en-route to Preston was amazing, and thrash through the Yorkshire hills was really spectacular.

Why was it the Crompton took over at Derby? Sam and I left at Sheffield unfortunately so we could get back to Manchester...

Well done again to FM and co, well worth the £20 (I'm still a child hehehe :razz:)....

1VWC

A bonus in that 33103 worked forward from Derby with 31454 seemingly only an Ethel from there, maybe the goyles low on fuel (??).

Correct. It was the safer option rather than risking running out.

devon_metro

Established Member
The route was awesome - really well planned. The scenery en-route to Preston was amazing, and thrash through the Yorkshire hills was really spectacular.

Why was it the Crompton took over at Derby? Sam and I left at Sheffield unfortunately so we could get back to Manchester...

Well done again to FM and co, well worth the £20 (I'm still a child hehehe :razz:)....

Tis a large improvement in traction

The Snap

Established Member
Tis a large improvement in traction

Hardly Liam - 31s any day!
So it was taken off as it was low on fuel? Well, I'm sure people weren't too bothered, as the tour was 31s more or less all day! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.