• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The last mixed traffic services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
This may not qualify as a mixed train, however it is quite a jaw dropping combination in the context of today's railway:

when I mentioned those trains a few weeks back someone insisted they used BGs, not a DVT
Nice to have photographic proof

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Completely by coincidence, I was looking through my old 1966 Ian Allan Combined Volume last night. A photo in the DMU section, entitled "Swindon 3-car cross-country unit near Cradley Heath on a Birmingham-Hereford working" clearly shows it's hauling what appears to be a 4 wheel van, possibly with an observation side-light window.

Sounds like a horse or prize cattle van

mailbyrail

Thinking along the lines of tail traffic - when did conveyance of horse boxes on passenger trains end?
Livestock traffic ended in January 1963 except to and from a number of designated stations, but what about horses?

Ploughman

Established Member
There’s a great photo here of a DPU hauling a couple of ballast wagons on the Cambrian in 1984. This would have been around the time of the woodworm issue effecting Barmouth bridge I guess?

View attachment 78649
There must have been quite a few similar occurrences on the line while the bridge was being repaired.
On the NYMR back in the 80's the last train of the day from GROSMONT often had a loaded Walrus attached to move waste Ash to the PW yard for reuse as ballast.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the NYMR back in the 80's the last train of the day from GROSMONT often had a loaded Walrus attached to move waste Ash to the PW yard for reuse as ballast.
Lovely. :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
when I mentioned those trains a few weeks back someone insisted they used BGs, not a DVT

Definitely used with the main train worked in push-pull mode. GUVs trailing each way but behind the DVT northbound (which can be seen in the linked photograph) and behind the propelling loco southbound.

dubscottie

I presume you are referring to what I posted in the Motorail thread. The Edinburgh Motorail trains had a BG & BFO. Never once used DVT as Edinburgh crews were not trained on them. I didn't mention anything about the Glasgow trains (which did have a DVT).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Didn't gwr do a trial of hauling fish in passenger service hsts recently. Edit:2018

ScotRail did that with the sleepers, conveyed fresh fish in a chill cupboard in the guard's van of the BuO, I can recall if it's been continued with the Mk5 stock.

alexl92

Established Member
Definitely used with the main train worked in push-pull mode. GUVs trailing each way but behind the DVT northbound (which can be seen in the linked photograph) and behind the propelling loco southbound.
Which photo are you referring to, please? The only one I can see is the one with the two GUVs behind the loco. Curious to see the photo with them behind the DVT :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Which photo are you referring to, please? The only one I can see is the one with the two GUVs behind the loco. Curious to see the photo with them behind the DVT :)

You're right, I was thinking of another photo. I've also seen a video which featured two push-pull sets with GUVs, see if I can locate it.

nlogax

Established Member
Found a good example of a Skoda sandwich here from 1993. Five GUVs behind the loco so I guess there were plenty of Motorail customers at that point in time.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Found a good example of a Skoda sandwich here from 1993. Five GUVs behind the loco so I guess there were plenty of Motorail customers at that point in time.

That's the one with the vans behind the loco, but there's another one which also has one with the vans behind the DVT.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's the one with the vans behind the loco, but there's another one which also has one with the vans behind the DVT.

I saw a YouTube clip that showed the vans behind the DVT arriving at Glasgow Central followed by the shunting and loading/unloading of the cars. Needless to say I can't find that clip now!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I saw a YouTube clip that showed the vans behind the DVT arriving at Glasgow Central followed by the shunting and loading/unloading of the cars. Needless to say I can't find that clip now!

That's the one! Like yourself I can't find the video now though <(

Status
Not open for further replies.