• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Last Slammer - Was Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
Galvanize said:
Dennis was found, on the 31s on the 1627 from Southampton.
Who gave you that duff gen?
YOU LIAR :roll: I didn't see him till I got home. Apparentally he missed them at salisbury

Sprinter

Galvanize said:
Sprinter gave me the "duff gen" on MSN yesterday :roll:

Duff gen? No, I was going by what Dennis said on the 31s meet thread, "if everything went to plan he would be on the 1627 ex Soton", but I didn't do that journey I left Soton on the 1615 Voyager. Hence I didn't know whether he turned up or not until I read this thread.

So obviously things didn't work out as planned for Dennis.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Galvanize probably interpreted "Dennis planed to..." as "Dennis did do...", or something like that.

Anyway, no big deal, he was found in the end!

metrocammel

In retrospect Im glad I did the "slam" all the way to Brighton, rather than bailing at Gatwick to get some ped mileage. As Im sure the peds will run again, but it looks unlikely that the slammers will run again, despite a group of Southern drivers (one of whom I beleive was a freind of Joy54's) saying they are keeping a 12VEP "stored serviceable" beyond the 30th November.

Jim

Established Member
yorkie said:
Galvanize probably interpreted "Dennis planed to..." as "Dennis did do...", or something like that.

Anyway, no big deal, he was found in the end!

He missed them at Salisbury as well :lol:

Coxster

Established Member
Jim said:
He missed them at Salisbury as well :lol:
Galvanise was always going to stay with us on the Brighton to London leg, rather than bailing out to get the 31s (IIRC) :?

Dennis

Established Member
Just to clear up my whereabouts yesterday....

After arriving at Brighton, I took the shots of the ECS departing then wandered over to the platform by the depot to get a shot of 3530; no sign of anyone around when I got back down to the concourse so I got the 14.20ish back to Victoria. I was keen to jump on a train as I was freezing my *ut* off and wanted a bit of warmth.

I was undecided whether to get the 31's at Southampton (ticket validity a bit questionable) or Sailisbury (would have been fine except for very slow running to Woking). Could not believe it when the 31's were signalled in front of my train at Laverstock Junction - mean't I misssed them at Salisbury.

I had considered doing a more circular route that day (Trowbridge - Victoria - Brighton - Southampton - Trwobridge) but this cost too much.

Anyway - glad I did the Slammer - I won't pretend they were my favourite trains but I recognise their significance and appreciate what a fantastic job they did over many years. I still find it hard to believe they have now all gone.

It's also worth pausing to compare the fortunes of CIGs, VEPs and the like with that of JOPs, also soon to depart from SWT.

As for the 31's, bit peeved that I missed them but never mind - December 17th to Weymouth.

ChrisM

AJP said:
The last slammer seems to be everyweek :roll:
Did seem like it but probably not any more.
Not a 'slammer' fan but it is sad to see them go in a way.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ChrisM said:
AJP said:
The last slammer seems to be everyweek :roll:
Did seem like it but probably not any more.
Not a 'slammer' fan but it is sad to see them go in a way.
We had the last SWT, SET and now Southern slammers. There are also different types. But the last[1] has now gone.

[1] OK except the Lymington shuttle

jonb

Established Member
One of the Slammers from Saturday went with two others on a Brighton Lovers Walk - Stewarts Lane today for Shoegear Removal, not many left now!

Status
Not open for further replies.