• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 'last' to do something on the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diplodicus

"if only they had patronised the service previously and how many ignore "their" train until "they" decide to close the service"

Well, I was fourteen and lived in Wandsworth and went too school in East Acton. I suppose I could have caught the trolleybus to White City, the underground to Charing Cross and then on to Paddock Wood but it wouldn't have left much time for homework.

Oh, and my income as a butchers' delivery boy wouldn't have stretched to too many journeys come to think of it.

Meanwhile in the real world, freight was switching to road in every-increasing volumes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
I'd never given a lot of thought and being on a last train but living in Watford I intend to be on the last Met train into Watford Met station. (If I'm still around LOL:roll:)

scotsman

Established Member
I was the last Edinburgh TPE steward. Ever.

I worked the 1600 MIA-EDB on 3rd Jan. The last time a steward based in Edinburgh worked into Edinburgh. Ended up sobbing in Princes Street Gardens.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
what about other forms of transport? I was on board Britain's last trolleybus to operate on a stage carriage service (as apart from enthusiast tours and a final procession) Bradford 843 from city centre to Duckwoth Lane March 1972 and the last RT route 299 Southgate - Potters Bar (replaced by SMS)

There have been comments made about people turning up on the last day back to 1936 such as the crowds on the Lynton & Barnstaple railway, if only they had patronised the service previously and how many ignore "their" train until "they" decide to close the service

If we can play that card, I have the honour of being the last ticket purchaser and last passenger to step off a step entrance bus in stage EYMS service - simply done by letting everybody else off first!

DeRobeck

I was a passenger on the last train over the Widnes Loop through Widnes Central and Tanhouse Lane in October 1964. The line was a loop off the main CLC Liverpool - Manchester line between Hough Green and Sankey and in its last years very few trains took this route. The final train was a rake of ex LMS compartment stock hauled (if I remember correctly) by either a Stanier or Fairburn 2-6-4 tank engine.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I was a passenger on the last train over the Widnes Loop through Widnes Central and Tanhouse Lane in October 1964. The line was a loop off the main CLC Liverpool - Manchester line between Hough Green and Sankey and in its last years very few trains took this route. The final train was a rake of ex LMS compartment stock hauled (if I remember correctly) by either a Stanier or Fairburn 2-6-4 tank engine.

It was 42064 - a Fairburn 4MT

Diplodicus

Not exactly the "last" but in 1961, having driven my Dad and new Stepmother bonkers on our caravan holiday in St. Ives, they bought me a seven-day all-Cornwall rail rover.

I spent the whole week chugging to Helston, Newquay (both branches), Penzance and everywhere in between. "Cabbing" 45xx and Kings. Two years later and just the main line and St Ives and Newquay via Par remained.

I can still remember the coastal branch to Newquay on a blue summer's day with steam billowing over the fields. It was bliss then and grows ever more so through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Last passenger train into Leicester Belgrave Rd - a B1 hauled summer Saturday working (Belgrave Rd had otherwise been closed for a couple of years) from Melton Mowbray er, was it called Town station?

I think it was 8 September, 1962. (It was the last Saturday of the summer TT that year)

I can't be certain, but the same day i reckon I was probably on the last Royal Scot-hauled scheduled service out of St Pancras. (I caught it at Wellingborough, 46135, on the approx 09.20 semi-Fast.)

Last ever scheduled steam hauled-train on BR standard gauge, anyone?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Not me, but this is on behalf of my father - my dad was on the last ever BR steam powered ferry ride on the PS Lincoln Castle. A few years later, he completed the last ever sailing of the Humber Ferry service on Farringford. Being a Yorkshireman, he also claims to be the last customer out of Lincoln Castle's bar

He also was on the last train out of Hull to Withensea

He was on the last train pulled in and out of Hull by Flying Scotsman

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I was the last Edinburgh TPE steward. Ever.

I worked the 1600 MIA-EDB on 3rd Jan. The last time a steward based in Edinburgh worked into Edinburgh. Ended up sobbing in Princes Street Gardens.
Ah, don't greet !
You certainly won't be the last person to be sobbing in P St Gardens!

I dined on the last East Coast restaurant with proper 'silver service', with speeches, bow ties (not me), and presentations (me) (and all discussed on here at the time). It was very enjoyable to see some of the same EC crew again this week, 3 years later. There's a time for sadness at a loss - and a time to celebrate what we do now.

Prompted by HMS Ark Royal's recollections of his father, I'm reminded that I'm vaguely aquainted with the EC driver who took the last passenger service through the Penmanshiel Tunnel before it collapsed (fatally trapping the workers inside). Perhaps not something to talk about other than with sadness.

From my photo records there was the following.

10:29 "THE SUNNY SOUTH EXPRESS" EXCURSION FROM
LONDON VICTORIA TO LONDON VICTORIA 10/08/2006
What's happened to the platform number there? [post #26]

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Not mainline, but I was on the last passenger working of a T68 tram on the Metrolink network, before they finally gave up the ghost :P
That being part of the T68 Farewell Tour, it was also both the first and last time a T68 had been in passenger service over the single line working through Victoria!

Established Member
Apparently I was on the last freight train to Poplar Dock. Ironically that was when I was sent out route learning one day.

Was on the last 306 and the last 309 in passenger service out of Liverpool St, which doesn't count for much. Looking forward to being on the last 315 in 2019!

Altfish

I along with my 7-year old son was on the last British Rail train on the Altrincham branch before conversion to Metrolink; Christmas Eve 1991 IIRC

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
When the original route of the Dart Valley Railway between Totnes and Ashburton was severed after Buckfastleigh in 1971, two special trains were run on successive weekends.

I was on one of these, which ran from South Wales to Ashburton. I can't remember whether it was the actual last train, or the last but one train, but I do remember that it was very good.

I've just looked at the estimable "Six Bells Junction" web site, and they have records of both of these trips. There were, as I thought, two trips, but they were both on the same day, i.e. Saturday 2nd October 1971.

One ran from London Paddington to Totnes (BR) and then via Totnes Riverside (Dart Valley Railway) to Ashburton. The return train took the same route in reverse. It was hauled by Brush Type 4 No. 1660 on the mainline, and then by GWR Pannier Tanks 1638 and 6435 on the DVR. The journey to Ashburton is noted on SBJ as being "The last through train to Ashburton".

If this is correct then the other train (which is the one that I was on) must have run earlier. This was from Swansea to Totnes (BR) and then via Totnes Riverside (Dart Valley Railway) to Ashburton. The return train took the same route in reverse. SBJ doesn't have the haulage on the mainline, but says that GWR 2-6-2T No. 4588 and 0-4-2T No. 1420 did the job on the DVR; I have a vague recollection that there were topped and tailed, but I can't be sure. I think that I have some photos at home, so I'll have to look.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think that I have some photos at home, so I'll have to look.

Sadly, I was wrong - so I can't confirm what the motive power was.

:(

scotsman

Established Member
Ah, don't greet !
You certainly won't be the last person to be sobbing in P St Gardens!

here's a time for sadness at a loss - and a time to celebrate what we do now.

Indeed, albeit it was as my train passed through the gardens and the conductor made a rather touching announcement.

Anyway, working for a nice TOC these days. Can't complain.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I wonder if anyone bothered to be on the last train or document more recent closures. How about the last DLR train to leave the original high level Island Gardens or the short lived Heathrow Airport Jct station?

simonw

I was also on the last trains from Ongar and Holborn Viaduct.
Also on last train from Coulsdon North.
Also last trains on the following lines Holborn to Aldwych, Whitechapel to Shoreditch, Sanderstead- Elmers End. Addiscombe to Elmers End, West Croydon to Wimbledon via Mitcham. Tunbridge Wells central to T.W.West (penaltimate T.W.West-Eridge)

Last day of the Sanderstead to Elmers End line:

http://simonwhittinghamphotography.zenfolio.com/p277701171

sduob

I was on the last loco hauled Virgin WC service (Pretendolino) out of London Euston, if that counts for anything.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Hope this gets posted as I am using my tablet device...

I can now claim to be the last person to board a train and leave Barnetby station under the control of Barnetby East Box

Asked the guard to let me stand in the doorway of the rear cab so I could claim this honour

scott118

Hope this gets posted as I am using my tablet device...

I can now claim to be the last person to board a train and leave Barnetby station under the control of Barnetby East Box

Asked the guard to let me stand in the doorway of the rear cab so I could claim this honour

wasn't the guard (in the rear cab?), the last to leave that station?

scott118

awesome.. so the guard was already halfway through the train before departure was complete - doesn't the guard have to ensure that the train has safely left the platform before carrying out their commercial duties?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
awesome.. so the guard was already halfway through the train before departure was complete - doesn't the guard have to ensure that the train has safely left the platform before carrying out their commercial duties?

Normally that is indeed the case, but as there was nobody on the platform forward of the rear carriage's front section I can only presume he thought it redundant... Anyway, thats a "last" for me!

There are two more trains to pass though Barnetby East's area of control - these being a freight and an ECS.

Does anybody know how one would go about having a look at the register for Barnetby east?

Rich_D3167

On duty tonight at Holton-le-Moor Signal Box, I have had the honour of receiving the last 7-5-5 "Closing Signal Box" bell code from Wrawby Junction. Absolute Block controls & the Block Bells are now decomissioned, and some of Holton-le-Moor's signals have been signed out of use, ready for conversion work to TCB with axle counters to work to York ROC.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
On duty tonight at Holton-le-Moor Signal Box, I have had the honour of receiving the last 7-5-5 "Closing Signal Box" bell code from Wrawby Junction. Absolute Block controls & the Block Bells are now decomissioned, and some of Holton-le-Moor's signals have been signed out of use, ready for conversion work to TCB with axle counters to work to York ROC.

I thought it was only to Scunthorpe this resignalling work...?

Regardless, have a nice night - and keep an eye out for 1X01 won't you

Phil.

Established Member
I dispatched the first passenger carrying train and the last passenger carrying train out of Waterloo International as well as the last train ((ECS).
I was the first guard to be passed for working E.M.U. trains at Cambridge and the first Cambridge guard to work an E.M.U. out of King's Cross (2X312 on the10.30 to Royston).

Rich_D3167

I thought it was only to Scunthorpe this resignalling work...?

Regardless, have a nice night - and keep an eye out for 1X01 won't you

With Wrawby Junction closing, the line down to Holton-le-Moor has to be resignalled, as York ROC won't be able to see tail lights at Wrawby Junction to give "Train Out of Section" to Holton-le-Moor after clearing the Absolute Block section!

Status
Not open for further replies.