• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Leamside line

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawky22

Yeah, pretty sure that now goes by road in an unmarked container for anonymity although it's not that anonymous because people know about it!
The flask train does run via the coast route normaly on a Friday returning along the Tyne Valley at about 1500 passed the Metro Centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If the Leamside was reopened as a secondary route for freight then it might also be worth reopening this curve from the Tyne Valley line round to Tyne Yard. It would allow freight from the Leamside/Sunderland/Jarrow lines to access Tyne Yard without needing to cross the ECML main lines south of Newcastle.

Not 100% sure but I think this line was removed when the chord to Dunston Staithes was also removed.

cawky22

Not 100% sure but I think this line was removed when the chord to Dunston Staithes was also removed.

I think this line will be re instated first as it saves all the run arounds at Pelaw for trains going via the Durham coast , it will be quite inexpensive to re install as it is only a couple of hundred metres long , also with Tyne Dock having won the new Biomass contract for Drax all this traffic could run straight through this line then down the coast :-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF8&ll=54.960956,-1.455177&spn=0.000859,0.00283&z=19

Established Member
I think this line will be re instated first as it saves all the run arounds at Pelaw for trains going via the Durham coast , it will be quite inexpensive to re install as it is only a couple of hundred metres long , also with Tyne Dock having won the new Biomass contract for Drax all this traffic could run straight through this line then down the coast :-

That's Boldon East Curve and the latest Route Utilisation Strategy says this will be reopened soon. I bet they could do that in a day if they wanted to.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If the Leamside was reopened as a secondary route for freight then it might also be worth reopening this curve from the Tyne Valley line round to Tyne Yard. It would allow freight from the Leamside/Sunderland/Jarrow lines to access Tyne Yard without needing to cross the ECML main lines south of Newcastle.

I've just thought about this again, but there may be pathing issues at the south KEB junction, with the Metrocentre and Hexham/Carlisle trains.

tbtc

Veteran Member
On a related theme (to connecting Washington by rails) - is there scope to extend the Metro westwards from Sunderland through Washington back to Gateshead?

(so that trains would run Newcastle - Gateshead - Sunderland - Washington - Gateshead - Newcastle)

Established Member
That would be possible, but I think the main talk recently was to get trains to run to Ryhope, which supposedly would be much easier.

If they were to run to Washington, they would probably need more carriages to get everyone on and increase the frequency of trains running Sunderland - Newcastle. The best thing to do would be for the line to be reopened as heavy rail only, even better if it was electrified and get a fast service to Middlesbrough from Newcastle. If this does happen, you'd also hope journey times on the Durham coast line would be speeded up as well.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
any of you remember "Project Orpheus"? A radical transformation of the Metro system to use trams which would run on-road in many areas and which formed extensions to the Metro network?
I think it emerged around 2001 and was dead a couple of years later. Stone dead. But in the meantime, I remember serious discussion about the preferred routes and possible routes, going into the detail of the turning circles required at specific road junctions through the West End. You can see that from the map where there is no specified places on the whole West Road and just a vague station called "District Centre".
Project orpheus Metro map.gif . . . click to enlarge

Established Member
Aye I remember that, although I don't remember any news on it being flushed down the drain.

What I think would be a good next extension would be going for the old line in Scotswood and Elswick, and reopening the old bridge across to Blaydon, and retunr via MetroCentre and Dunston. Would be nice to bore through from St James along the west end but of course would be cost-prohibitive.

Airport - Ponteland has been proposed many times, although unsure how hard this would be to do. Most of the old line is still extant.

Using the ECML to Killingworth has also been on the agenda since day one but would mean a new station and new lines.

I wish they had kept the Riverside branch, imagine if that was still going these days.
Just had a look at the map in more detail. From what I remember there are more new lines on that one than the one that came out with the report. Never seen half of the news lines on there, like Rake Lane and Westoe. Now if they had the funding for that, that would be great.

Sandancer

AFAIK most freight still goes via the ECML due to the Tyne Yard. Otherwise it would have to go north for a while and clog up the King Edward approach to Newcastle, it's bad enough at 30mph. Then there s the Metro which shares its lines from Pelaw to Sunderland.
Looking at Google Earth, it looks to me like the line from the old Gateshead works (between the King Edward and the High Level) actually links to directly from to the north of the Tyne Yard via an underpass, effectively bypassing the main ECML. Does anyone know if this is right?
I thought most Teeside freight was going south though, and Leamside won't help with that. It may however remove the need for a Metro extension to Washington, if the line was opened for local passenger services as well - perhaps a Newcastle-Darlington round trip? There are good station site in Washington (2) Carville for Durham (& P+R). Would need perhaps slow lines (as opposed to loops) Darlington-Tursdale.

Would transferring frieght from Tyne Yard to the old Freightliner terminal in Washington be possible? I assume that http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...8188,-1.507015&spn=0.017947,0.038624&t=h&z=15 was the site of the freight terminal (the line running N-S up the middle and under the roundabout)? There is also an interesting branch running along south Washinton From Leamside line to ECML (at Chester-le-Street)
The old Freightliner site is now occupied by a business park. It's adjacent to the end of the A194(M) at Whitemare Pool, about a mile south of Pelaw Junction. It's a real shame these facilities never delivered on their original promise as the system as envisaged would have taken thousands of lorries of the national road network.

Sandancer

That seems rather short-sighted given the long term plans to expand freight traffic along this route. Thinking about it I did notice that some track had been lifted last tine I was going to London.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
NR's current RUS (Rail Utilisation Strategy) clearly considers the potential for the Leamside line and identifies its benefit mainly in terms of capacity. However, it considers that the need for capacity is not currently great enough to justify re-opening the line at present. So there is the possibility that the argument may be more persuasive in the future.

I also believe that when the NE area was resignalled under control from Tyneside IECC, the Leamside line was NOT included. So there would be additional costs there too.

Established Member
Looking at Google Earth, it looks to me like the line from the old Gateshead works (between the King Edward and the High Level) actually links to directly from to the north of the Tyne Yard via an underpass, effectively bypassing the main ECML. Does anyone know if this is right?

Not sure what you mean here (probably number two), but there are two possible ways from the King Edward Bridge south junction to the north end of Tyne Yard:

1) Direct from the ECML, but having to cross over all the tracks

2) Go onto the Carlsile line, under the ECML then left (lifted tracks), past the Royal Mail depot and into Tyne Yard. This cuts out the need for crossing over the ECML.

cawky22

in light of all this talk about the possible re-opening of the leamside line, do you think it would benefit Nissan at all?

Nissan used to export cars by rail from Tyne Dock, not sure if it has happened lately. There was a rumour about taking cars from the factory to Tyne Dock , but it would involve the loco running around at Pelaw . This would eliminate all the car transporter movements from the factory to the port.Nissan could also be able to take containers straight into the factory also.
Not sure it would be worthwhile though as the train journey from the port to the factory is only a few miles.

Established Member
Nissan still do, always see a ro-ro ship most times I pass the port. It certainly would be useful for Nissan to use the line, which would remove a large amount of lorries from the road. Not sure what things they import through Tyne Dock, if they do bring materials in that way. WOuld have thought most of it would come from either UK manufacturers or through ports down south.

The trains would have to run round at Pelaw as it is, otherwise they could theoretically go through South Hylton and Sunderland, but I don't know if the line is suitable for freight trains and not only for the Metro. This would do away with the turn around at Pelaw as Network Rail are supposed to be reinstalling Boldon east curve.

Established Member
Sorry mis-read your post. Don't think Tyne Dock has seen a car transporter train in a while, think everything that goes by rail is either coal of scrap.

Bish Boy

I know its been a while for this thread but why can't they open a "small" stretch of this line from Pelaw to Washington that would stop before Victoria viaduct so no repair bill and still leave scope for future expansion to Tursdale junction if and when it becomes viable. Washington really needs rail access even if its just a small branch line a few small halt like stations wouldn't cost much. I know economic downturn but gotta be good to reduce traffic in and outta Newcastle and improve the whole areas economy.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I know its been a while for this thread but why can't they open a "small" stretch of this line from Pelaw to Washington that would stop before Victoria viaduct so no repair bill and still leave scope for future expansion to Tursdale junction if and when it becomes viable. Washington really needs rail access even if its just a small branch line a few small halt like stations wouldn't cost much. I know economic downturn but gotta be good to reduce traffic in and outta Newcastle and improve the whole areas economy.

Have a look at my post #8 in the Tyne Tees Express thread in this forum, it seems the Leamside route has resurfaced in NR's plans for 2016...

Established Member
Tram'll get it before rail. Sad but true.

Told you before Metros are not trams! Anyway it would be highly unlikely to get funding for reopening and electrification along to Washington and there aren't enough Metros anyway.

cawky22 said:
Slightly off topic but it is info for this area .
On Sunday the first biomass shipment arrived at Tyne Dock this is currently being stored in the new shed, not sure when the first of the trains will start .
here is an article on the facilities at Tyne Dock

Wonder which way this freight will run, more for the Durham Coast or ECML? There is also a plant opening on Teesside although makes moe sense to ship it in there than take it by rail from Tyne Dock to Billingham.

cawky22

Wonder which way this freight will run, more for the Durham Coast or ECML? There is also a plant opening on Teesside although makes moe sense to ship it in there than take it by rail from Tyne Dock to Billingham.
This traffic could go either way as the GBRF coal traffic does use both routes.They are still working on competing the conveyor that will take the biomass into the loading bunker,
I have seen plans for the Tees power station and on the drawings/photos the ships will dock alongside the powerstation.
There was also plans for a biomass power station on the Tyne , just across the river to the Nissan terminal, dont think this has gone much further though.

Established Member
Future looking a bit brighter for freight in the NE then. Shame that when the new factory for turbines opens in Walker there will be no rail link.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tram'll get it before rail. Sad but true.
This doesn't make sense.

Do you mean it will become light rail, rather than heavy rail?

This seems unlikely, given that part of the business case for reopening must surely be to allow freight to use it, and keep that freight off the ECML?

Established Member
This seems unlikely, given that part of the business case for reopening must surely be to allow freight to use it, and keep that freight off the ECML?

Think he still is referring to Metros as trams. I'd much rather have the Leamside line not put onto the Metro system so that in the future it can be electrified.

Status
Not open for further replies.