• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The legacy of the 2012 bid... New transport links for London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
It'll be great news for London if all of this goes ahead. One does wonder why Crossrail isn't featured though... :?

Full size image available HERE

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
What is the planned nature of the "transit" schemes?

Greenwich Waterfront Transit will be a tram, but I'm not sure about the others.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've not heard of Grenwich Waterfront Transit or East London Transit before, but the others are existing schemes.

It does seem odd that they have included Silverlink metro, but omitted the much more frequent Great Eastern stopping service to Shenfield. (I suspect this is more to do with where they have gaps in the map to fit them in).

Having included Silverlink Metro (presumably on the basis that it provides a userful service that interchanges with many other lines), they could have at least connected Waterloo, Vauxhall, Wimbledon and Clapham Jn by the same logic.

Perhaps the line to Watford Jn is included on the basis that it used to be part of LU? But that wouldn't make sense as that logic should mean the inclusion of places like West Drayton, and also what's happened to Moorgate to Finsbury Park?

Sadly the Metropolitan line isn't showing as going to Watford Jn so I guess that will never happen now.

This map is neither an Underground map nor a London Connections map, but it can't be called a 'frequent service map' either because it omits frequent lines and includes some infrequent lines. I'm not sure what it's meant to be :?

Met Driver

Established Member
I think the purpose of the map is simply to highlight the changes to the network that will occur in preperation for the olympics. I presume the NLL is included as it will soon be truncated, with all services terminating at Stratford. However, I can't think why the Watford Junction locals have been included, while other important routes (as you say) haven't been included.

I would have said they'd have done better to upgrade the London connections map. However, it is no longer available from TfL, so I presume they no longer use it.

DLA365

North Woolwich station seems to have disappeared from the map, so it will become a disused station in the recent future? :?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
DLA365 said:
North Woolwich station seems to have disappeared from the map, so it will become a disused station in the recent future? :?
I think so, yes. The formation is needed for the new DLR line, if I recall correctly.

Met Driver

Established Member
yorkie said:
DLA365 said:
I think so, yes. The formation is needed for the new DLR line, if I recall correctly.

Indeed. Hence NLL services will terminate at Stratford, as I already mentioned.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Having thought about this a bit more, I am wondering if the NLL/WLL are included to encourage passengers to avoid central London?

That doesn't explain the inclusion of the Watford-Euston service, but perhaps they thought that, having already included much of Silverlink Metro they may as well include the rest*?

Is Watford-London always included on TfL maps from now on then?

* as far north as Watford

AlexS

Established Member
As far north as Watford IS all Silverlink Metro. I think the Northampton line services all come under the Silverlink County banner, as do the Watford to St Albans, and Bedford to Bletchley lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.