• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Look him in the eye" adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
For those not aware, "Stay at home" advertising on various media has popped up over the past few days.

This feels incredibly dystopian to me, and comes across as little more than scaremongering
Also, I don't appreciate having Covid information forced down my throat when I'm trying to read something unrelated to take my mind off it!

I assume most people will have seen these by now, but if not, here's an example:
1612176808776.png
(Image shows an advert with Government and NHS logos, depicting elderly man wearing an oxygen mask with the tagline "LOOK HIM IN THE EYES AND TELL HIM THE RISK ISN'T REAL" overlaid)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
For those not aware, "Stay at home" advertising on various media has popped up over the past few days.

This feels incredibly dystopian to me, and comes across as little more than scaremongering
Also, I don't appreciate having Covid information forced down my throat when I'm trying to read something unrelated to take my mind off it!

I assume most people will have seen these by now, but if not, here's an example:
View attachment 89686
(Image shows an advert with Government and NHS logos, depicting elderly man wearing an oxygen mask with the tagline "LOOK HIM IN THE EYES AND TELL HIM THE RISK ISN'T REAL" overlaid)

Just don't get me started on these - I have to reach for the off switch whenever they come on the radio. <( <( <( <( <( <(

There is one about CAN YOU LOOK A BUS DRIVER IN THE EYES AND TELL HIM YOUR TRIP IS ESSENTIAL or CAN YOU LOOK A SHOP ASSISTANT IN THE EYES AND TELL HIM YOU ARE ONLY BUYING ESSENTIAL GOODS (or words to that effect)

Right, so I am a Granny killer who likes to murder shop assistants because I went to the supermarket last week to buy a few cans of beer and some crisps and nuts, so that I could have a wild night in, in view of the pubs being closed and indoor mixing not allowed.

And just to catch everyone and make them feel guilty and scared, and damage their mental health, there is the hysterical one which says:-

LOOK HIM IN THE EYES AND TELL HIM THE RISK ISN'T REAL. 1 IN 3 PEOPLE WHO HAVE COVID-19 DO NOT HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS AND COULD BE SPREADING THE VIRUS WITHOUT KNOWING IT. ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THEM? STAY HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES.

I can't help but think these adverts have been devised in order to scare the public into continuing to comply with the rules, in the face of increasing evidence of non compliance.

The fact that they have to resort to ever more scary images and ever more alarmist messaging indicates to me at least that the public have had enough, and are growing increasingly weary of the lockdown rules, and questioning their effectiveness.

So in some ways I am not too bothered by these, as the increasing tone of desperation being shown by the government shows that support for the lockdown is falling, and that the lockdown cannot last much longer in its present form.

timothyw9

Curious whether or not complaining to the ASA (If enough people did it,) would have any effect on getting these stupid government ads removed.

kristiang85

Established Member
These come up between every 3 posts in my reddit feed it seems, and I don't follow a single COVID related thing on there (it's the one app where I refuse to even discuss COVID, as some things need to take my mind off it).

There's lots of alternatives going round though, which I like:

Attachments

• b4d62b92d059d036.jpg
    b4d62b92d059d036.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 198

duncanp

Established Member
This one is quite powerful as well.

The people who are suffering as a result of the lockdown have, until now, largely remained silent.

Well I think it is high time that people started speaking up for those who, as in the advert below, have had relatives commit suicide, lost their businesses and livelihoods, are no longer able to feed themselves or their families.

Alternative Look Him In The Eyes Advert.jpg

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Curious whether or not complaining to the ASA (If enough people did it,) would have any effect on getting these stupid government ads removed.
I have submitted a complaint to the ASA over the ‘Bending the rules costs lives’ digital advertising at Brighton station. I got an email back confirming the case reference number, but heard nothing since.

Master Cutler

The Goverment is spending a fortune on these adverts on all television channels but here's the rub, the people who flout the rules probably don't care about any messages relayed on TV, however we all have to sit and be bombarded by them like we didn't know any better.
This is just a colossal waste of money and only seeks to cover the Government's back in the event of any post COVID legal issues.

brad465

Established Member
Agreed, the government have sadly fully latched onto the guilt trip tactics to scare people into compliance. And it is bloody disgraceful.
From what I've heard the more scare tactics are used/the more forceful an ad, the more counterproductive it is in achieving its purpose, evident in fellow forum members' views on them (while the forum is not likely to represent the country, we won't be holding unique views on it). It's definitely a sign of a failing strategy, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was likened to a form of "Project Fear".

Master Cutler

For my wife and I the saddest message came from Barbara Roberts, the lady interviewed in her hospital bed the day before she died.
Her family gave permission to broadcast the interview which made it especially harrowing.
No sign of Government interference, just a very sad few words from a lovely person from her sick bed.
My wife and Barbara were best friends at school and through their teenage years.

RailExplorer

I listen to LBC a lot and about a week ago they had these adverts on but the words used were something like “if you bend the rules, you will kill someone”. I wanted to record one but they seem to have stopped at the moment.

Ediswan

Established Member
I listen to LBC a lot and about a week ago they had these adverts on but the words used were something like “if you bend the rules, you will kill someone”. I wanted to record one but they seem to have stopped at the moment.
The ASA did get the government to pull some of their more over-excited adverts about 10 days ago. Maybe this was one of them.

joncombe

Yes I've given up listening to commercial radio stations because you get one of these "Corona-man" adverts every 10 minutes. It's been bad for months but now there is at least 1 advert per advert break, it's just impossible to escape unless you stop listening at all. Now the only radio station I listen to is Radio 1. Not exactly my favourite, but at least being advert free I don't have "Corona Man" popping up every 10 minutes to lecture me.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yes I've given up listening to commercial radio stations because you get one of these "Corona-man" adverts every 10 minutes. It's been bad for months but now there is at least 1 advert per advert break, it's just impossible to escape unless you stop listening at all. Now the only radio station I listen to is Radio 1. Not exactly my favourite, but at least being advert free I don't have "Corona Man" popping up every 10 minutes to lecture me.
FWIW I don't think there's advertising on any of the BBC stations, so if the music on R1 isn't to your taste you could try R2, R3, R4 or R5 (5 is online only IIRC).

AMR

On Moderation
It's very hypocritical that they went from 'HELP THE ECONOMY, GO AND DRINK AND GIVE US OUR ALCOHOL TAX' to 'YOU IDIOT, YOU ARE KILLING PEOPLE BY GOING TO GET A DRINK' It makes people lose trust and follow the rules less.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yep very much not a fan of these. There's a rotating posterboard next to a bus stop by my station which I pass every day I'm on shift. One of which is "...tell him you can't work from home" which I couldn't help but scoff at as I went in for my essential job alongside plenty of others at 6am.

Some coronavirus restrictions do rely on individuals, but the work one on particular irked me as its not like many have a choice, nor it is something that the individuals control.

The Goverment is spending a fortune on these adverts on all television channels but here's the rub, the people who flout the rules probably don't care about any messages relayed on TV, however we all have to sit and be bombarded by them like we didn't know any better.
This is just a colossal waste of money and only seeks to cover the Government's back in the event of any post COVID legal issues.

I'd suggest that generally the people that flout the rules are younger and don't watch that much TV anyway, so even more of a waste.

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I'd suggest that generally the people that flout the rules are younger and don't watch that much TV anyway, so even more of a waste.
It depends on what you define as "younger" for that statement... As a "young" (in 20's) person the adherence to the measures in my cohort seems to be about the same as everyone else (if not better due to neigbours and the likes deliberately targetting student looking populations when dobbing off to the police without sparing thought for support households and the like). Whilst you say generally, I see a lot more rule flouting in the 30-50 age group.

You're right on the tv front though. My first experience with one of these adverts was last week whilst going to watch a railways programme on UKTV play. I've been listening to talkradio recently too however they've now stopped playing baked in adverts on some platforms roughly around the time these ads were supposedly dropped so luckily my ears have been saved from the emotional blackmail.

On the topic from what I've seen the adverts are despicable. I understand peoples patience is waning (and quite rightly so!) however they really aren't going to make 1 iota of difference other than make the paranoid more paranoid and cause more conflict between people over stupid little things (ie: masks).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It depends on what you define as "younger" for that statement... As a "young" (in 20's) person the adherence to the measures in my cohort seems to be about the same as everyone else (if not better due to neigbours and the likes deliberately targetting student looking populations when dobbing off to the police without sparing thought for support households and the like). Whilst you say generally, I see a lot more rule flouting in the 30-50 age group.

You're right on the tv front though. My first experience with one of these adverts was last week whilst going to watch a railways programme on UKTV play. I've been listening to talkradio recently too however they've now stopped playing baked in adverts on some platforms roughly around the time these ads were supposedly dropped so luckily my ears have been saved from the emotional blackmail.

On the topic from what I've seen the adverts are despicable. I understand peoples patience is waning (and quite rightly so!) however they really aren't going to make 1 iota of difference other than make the paranoid more paranoid and cause more conflict between people over stupid little things (ie: masks).

I think it fits in with demonisation of the young by this government. As I say its very general, and only based on my own personal experience. I'd consider myself younger too by the way courtesy of being under 30! I think a lot of people would scoff at it.

The time for ensuring compliance with those that no longer are has long, long passed. The botched first few months with PEE, Barnard Castle and the like eroded a lot of trust that can't be rebuilt easily.

Bikeman78

Established Member
This is what I don't understand. Are we supposed to believe that everyone who dies is an innocent victim and everyone that doesn't get ill or die is a reckless idiot? Where are people getting infected? I know some vulnerable people and the only indoor place they go outside of home is the supermarket.

lkpridgeon

Verified Rep - FastJP
I think it fits in with demonisation of the young by this government. As I say its very general, and only based on my own personal experience. I'd consider myself younger too by the way courtesy of being under 30! I think a lot of people would scoff at it.

The time for ensuring compliance with those that no longer are has long, long passed. The botched first few months with PEE, Barnard Castle and the like eroded a lot of trust that can't be rebuilt easily.
Fair enough, I do get your point there anyone under 50/60 for the govt is 'young'. Just making sure you weren't trying to tar us all with the same brush. From my perspective the current working populous have had too much stick and not enough carrot from the gov't.

From my perspective these adverts don't achieve anything good. All they do is rile up the people already afraid and cause more low level conflict situations between members of the general public.

Hey in good news from what I'm led to believe, Southwestern railway have stopped the announcements thay use children as a thinly veiled attempt to increase face covering compliance.

Robinson102

I personally find the "look in the eyes" posters disturbing, at best - I'm already only leaving the house/travelling when "necessary" (usually necessary for my mental health) - and having my mental health affected by gaslighting posters & audio adverts created by this government is just depressing and anxiety triggering.

I'm kind of assuming that was the aim of this government though, as that kind of seems like their aim overall.

Peter C

Established Member
These adverts occasionally appear on YouTube and honestly, I'm not a fan. I'm sick of these lockdowns and I'd much prefer not having to be reminded of the state of the world every time I want to watch a video!

-Peter

pdeaves

Established Member
This is the first time I've seen a 'look him in the eye' advert. My initial reaction was 'if he doesn't want to catch anything he can stay at home'. Probably not the reaction the NHS/Government/whoever wants!

Regarding 'work at home', when I gave blood last week the staff member was telling me how 'lots' of people seem to think she could work at home. Like, what do donors do, come to my house and stick their elbow through the letterbox?!

brick60000

I've never seen an advert and been genuinely irrirated, felt targetted, and felt really, really cross (to put it politely) before.

I saw these for the first time in the car around Birmingham the other week, and saw several of them on the same evening. I hate the implication that everyone is breaking the rules. As I've said on the police front, if you make people feel like they're doing wrong when they are doing (mostly?) right, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if people think "Stuff it, I may as well not bother!".

And these will just add more fuel to the fire of people lecturing others on lockdown rules, but then breaking/bending others that suit them. "Why is this park so busy!?" is my all-time favourite...

greyman42

Established Member
Just for the record; this is taxpayers money they are using to fund these adverts.

Most of the TV I watch is recorded on my Humax recorder so I just fast-foreward through any adverts.

Around New Year Spotify offered me 3 months premium membership for free. With these fearmongering ads out now I'm very glad I signed up for it!

I'm fortunate to have not caught one of these on TV as most of what I watch has been recorded meaning I fast forward through all the ads!

Master Cutler

I think the Government should be forced to reveal how all of the participants in the advert have fared after recording.
Did all patients fully recover, did all of the medical staff avoid infection.
I know this is a rhetorical question, but if these people weren't genuine, are the Government guilty of misrepresentation.

Tracked

Established Member
Saw the one about how going for a coffee could cost you your life (or something like that) and my two thoughts were;

1) if it's really that bad, perhaps coffee shops should be ordered to close
2) None of the places I've bought coffee from have been as bad as the Supermarkets, which have generally been a complete free-for-all once inside since March.

joncombe

Saw the one about how going for a coffee could cost you your life (or something like that) and my two thoughts were;

1) if it's really that bad, perhaps coffee shops should be ordered to close
2) None of the places I've bought coffee from have been as bad as the Supermarkets, which have generally been a complete free-for-all once inside since March.
Yes exactly this, it's so inconsistent.

Is a newspaper essential? No. So why are newsagents open? Is buying plants essential. No? So why are garden centers open and so on? (Note - I don't want to see such places close .... it's just an issue with the aggressive messaging)

Even some visitor attractions remain open (for example a paid for gardens is still open near me, still charging admission and claiming it's for local residents to "exercise").

Status
Not open for further replies.