• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Look him in the eye" adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

It can happen. Where I was working last summer, there were some roles which had to be present in person. Many others were 'at you discretion'. There was no longer room for everybody to be in at the same time, but demand never exceeded supply.

And double standards have developed - those who refuse to work in the office even occasionally and when there's a good reason because it's too dangerous are mostly quite happy for those of us in support roles to carry on doing so, and travelling around between offices, in order that the systems are in place for them to be able to work at home...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david1212

Established Member
I caught the one on BBC1 last night around 5:45 after the news. I instantly hit mute and looked away.

However earlier today I thought
'I wonder how I would have reacted at the time and afterwards when I was infant / junior school age?'
I never liked anything scary even when very clearly told it was just fiction not reality. You may laugh but I didn't like one book from the ' Thomas the Tank Engine ' series. Waking up in the night would have been quite likely.

Has anyone had their own child upset or know of a child who has been ?

A similar approach is TV crews going into hospitals to film someone on the surface less likely to be in hospital on ventilation etc. giving a message to others with the general theme of ' I thought even if I contracted Covid I would just be slightly ill for a few days not be admitted to hospital needing ventilation and the possibility of dying '. Hospitals really do not need the disruption.

Lineside SE

It seems to me that those adverts are the Government trying to pin the blame for how badly the pandemic has played out onto the general public rather than admitting that they are the ones that made a mess of it.

I can imagine Boris appearing in front of a future public enquiry and pleading, "I tried to tell them but they just would not listen and obey the rules"!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
So they can self certify on the basis that they 'don't want to wear a mask' rather than any real medical need.
What really scares me is mask wearing becoming law permeantly. I wear the bloody thing as it’s the law and I obey the law - but why would anyone WANT to continue wearing one?

Cutting off the most critical communication ability your smile and facial expression.
I was in Tesco the other day, a chap stood to one side to let me by...I smiled to signal a thank you! I had a bloody mask on you can’t and shouldn’t seek to change human evolution because some people are so terrified of a virus.

If people wish to wear one then that’s their choice, but don’t force the rest of us.

How many people do you see wearing masks walking down the street alone or driving their car alone ?!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Perhaps they could have one aimed at obese people, "Can you look the shop keeper in the eye and say that chocolate is necessary"?

island

Veteran Member
What really scares me is mask wearing becoming law permeantly. I wear the bloody thing as it’s the law and I obey the law - but why would anyone WANT to continue wearing one?

Cutting off the most critical communication ability your smile and facial expression.
I was in Tesco the other day, a chap stood to one side to let me by...I smiled to signal a thank you! I had a bloody mask on you can’t and shouldn’t seek to change human evolution because some people are so terrified of a virus.

If people wish to wear one then that’s their choice, but don’t force the rest of us.

How many people do you see wearing masks walking down the street alone or driving their car alone ?!
I hope so too. They really are dismal.

Yew

Established Member
It's interesting that the pro lockdown brigade can't seem to win rational arguments, and have to constantly resort to emotive manipulation.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not as many as I did at the start of January to be fair, but still a few. I'm hoping it's because it's been so bitterly cold recently, rather than for any other reason though.

DB

Not as many as I did at the start of January to be fair, but still a few. I'm hoping it's because it's been so bitterly cold recently, rather than for any other reason though.

In the street it normally seems to be just between shops in the main shopping area.

Still a number wearing them while in a car on their own though, which is bizarre.

Ediswan

Established Member
Still a number wearing them while in a car on their own though, which is bizarre.
Not entirely barmy. Consider people driving between venues where they are appropriate. When I visited the optician, then drove to the Co-op, it seemed pointless fiddling with the thing, so I left it on while driving.

Crossover

Established Member
In the street it normally seems to be just between shops in the main shopping area.

Not entirely barmy. Consider people driving between venues where they are appropriate. When I visited the optician, then drove to the Co-op, it seemed pointless fiddling with the thing, so I left it on while driving.
I have once left it on whilst driving - I had worn it in the supermarket and then needed to drive the short distance to the petrol station and use the kiosk, so I left it on from start to finish rather than faffing about with it

nedchester

Established Member

Completely agree. I find them dehumanising for the reasons you mention but understand the need at this current time.

That said I kept mine on walking to the car at Sainsbury's earlier as it kept my face warm, it's bloomin freezing out there!

farleigh

I agree with this post.

I love the way that people say they wear a mask to protect others

Bikeman78

Established Member
Perhaps they could have one aimed at obese people, "Can you look the shop keeper in the eye and say that chocolate is necessary"?
On that note, I went to Sainsburys today. It's okay to buy flowers or chocolates or mugs for Valentine's day. The sweetie aisle is open as normal. However, apparently shoes or wellies for young children are not considered essential as they were all covered with plastic sheeting!

DB

I love the way that people say they wear a mask to protect others

That's virtue signalling at its finest, allowing them to feel superior and look down on anyone not wearing a mask. All as the government intended, of course!

Richard Scott

Established Member
That's virtue signalling at its finest, allowing them to feel superior and look down on anyone not wearing a mask. All as the government intended, of course!
Amuses me to think how misinformed they are and what they're doing is pretty much pointless. They really should learn to think for themselves before making such statements rather than act like a lemming. I wear one because I don't have a reason not to and it's a requirement; those are the only reasons. It comes off as soon as store exited.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Going back to the original reason for the thread, it cheeses me off when I am a key worker trying to do my job and it comes up at Doncaster station: ‘Look him in the eyes and tell him you can’t work from home’. If I could I wouldn’t be at Donny station at half seven on a freezing February morning!

On a more serious note, this is a manifestation of “Let’s get everybody to blame each other for this crisis, and forget years of underinvestment in the NHS”.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
It seems to me that those adverts are the Government trying to pin the blame for how badly the pandemic has played out onto the general public rather than admitting that they are the ones that made a mess of it.

I can imagine Boris appearing in front of a future public enquiry and pleading, "I tried to tell them but they just would not listen and obey the rules"!
Going back to the original reason for the thread, it cheeses me off when I am a key worker trying to do my job and it comes up at Doncaster station: ‘Look him in the eyes and tell him you can’t work from home’. If I could I wouldn’t be at Donny station at half seven on a freezing February morning!

On a more serious note, this is a manifestation of “Let’s get everybody to blame each other for this crisis, and forget years of underinvestment in the NHS”.

Absolutely. And the more people are looking each other in the eye and bickering over masks, the less attention is being paid to the NHS, the number of infections which have occurred in hospitals and care homes, et cetera.

Amuses me to think how misinformed they are and what they're doing is pretty much pointless. They really should learn to think for themselves before making such statements rather than act like a lemming. I wear one because I don't have a reason not to and it's a requirement; those are the only reasons. It comes off as soon as store exited.

There’s a snotty meme on a poster in the front window of one of the shops in my local high street. I forget what it is, but it essentially implies anyone devoid of a mask is a dirty germ-ridden disgrace.

I’ve had a lot going in domestically this week, otherwise I’d have taken a few moments to take the matter up.

An awful lot around here, actually..

Same here. The practice has really taken off here in the last month or so.

It's interesting that the pro lockdown brigade can't seem to win rational arguments, and have to constantly resort to emotive manipulation.

Absolutely so. Or just sheer nastiness in some cases too.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
In an evolution from the "Look him in the Eye" adverts, the Home Office have come up with this speechlessly horrifying advert:

(Click for video of it)
An obvious parody of PIRACY: IT'S A CRIME

It later transpired, incidentally, that the creators of that had failed to secure the correct licensing arrangements for the background music... so one could say it was pirated.

I wonder if something similarly ironic will happen here...

Typhoon

Established Member
It’s awful, isn’t it?

Never mind the fact that
All gatherings are currently against the law
is completely untrue
Unfortunately, this is the sort of response I am coming to expect from the current Home Office. I sincerely hope that Chief Constables are issuing measured guidance (based on the law, not the Home Office's version of it). Law enforcement polices by consent, I have already seen video clips where I have thought police action has been heavy handed. If the police act outside of the law, it will clog up our courts for years. Fortunately, round my neck of the woods, the police are as rare as hen's teeth (despite what our PCC says).

The only people who will take any notice are those who are already careful (or over-careful), scare tactics cease to be effective with many after a while.

For a detailed list of exceptions (in England), please refer to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nationa...#where-and-when-you-can-meet-in-larger-groups
Sorry, its rather long.

island

Veteran Member
A new “softer” campaign entitled “making a difference” will launch this week across media, with slogans such as “every video call is making a difference, by meeting friends virtually we’re helping stop the spread of COVID19”.

Bantamzen

Established Member
A new “softer” campaign entitled “making a difference” will launch this week across media, with slogans such as “every video call is making a difference, by meeting friends virtually we’re helping stop the spread of COVID19”.
They obviously don't attend the video calls I suffer through each day... ;)

On the friends thing too, I hope that is just a "softening" for this interim period, the long term aspiration still has to be making contact between humans "acceptable" again.

kristiang85

Established Member
I really hope, come summer, the adverts will be along the lines of "It's healthy to see your friends. Give those who've had a hard time a hug" or "Treat your family to a meal in the pub. Community brings us together"

(there's a reason my career isn't in slogan writing)

Status
Not open for further replies.