• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Many Colours of 66048

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Why was this deemed uneconomic to repair, as I don't recall the derailment being that severe? Maybe a case of DB having enough spare 66s already?

Who knows though, there could be serious structural damage that's not visible to the eye?

GB

Established Member
The derailment was pretty harsh, the loco and several wagons came off at 55+mph if I remember correctly.

So yes, probably structural problems.

Ben.A.98

I got an email a few weeks ago from DB stating it was up for sale.

DB SCHENKER RAIL, LOCOMOTIVE FOR DISPOSAL

DBSR has the following locomotive available for sale:

Vehicle

Toton

This locomotive is at Toton and will be sold as seen and as and where lying.

The successful bidder will be required to remove the Locomotive at their own expense.

Sorry for bad formatting, on iPhone.

Jonny

Established Member
It appears to be missing its undercarriage. Has it been stripped for spares?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
It appears to be missing its undercarriage. Has it been stripped for spares?

It is pretty much just a shell. All salveageable components having been stripped off.

66's are pretty solid machines, as demonstrated when 521 tragically destroyed the DVT of the GNER 225 it collided with. For a 66 to be written off, there will be underlying frame damage that cannot be repaired, no matter how good a panel beater employed. The damage done to 70 012 is evidence of how an otherwise seemingly undamaged loco can be uneconomical to repair.

Last edited:

I was the first police officer on the scene at this incident. I can remember it like yesterday. All we got on the radio from control was that a train had crashed at Carrbridge...no further details avaliable!

The snow was above my knees on the track in place. Sheer luck that nobody was killed in the station area as there was wagons and containers straddling the 2 platforms. Driver and 2nd man were very lucky to escape serious injury. A tree ultimately stopped the locomotive going any further down the banking and into a private dwelling.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Given that people used to buy redundant goods vans ( mainly fish vans and things up to GUVs in size ) for use as sheds, I wonder if anyone might be tempted to buy this bodyshell for the same purpose.

Then it really would be a shed in their garden....

*looks for coat*

Status
Not open for further replies.