• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Mayflower Line 31/8/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Established Member
Myself and the Jim meister took a trip along the ex GER Mayflower Line from Manningtree to Harwich Town on Thursday, bashing all stations en-route.

What an interesting visit that proved to be (even if we did elect to give the DBSO on the fast service out of Liverpool Street a miss); although the passenger trains lack variety, there is some freight action associated with Harwich & Parkestone Quay. From the waterfront at Mistley, the mainline to Ipswich can also be observed in the distance - a walk from Mistley to Manningtree (<2 miles) might yield some useful photting locations.

The line features several stations which could be inspirational for modellers and trainsim devs as well as some pleasant scenery and lots of historic interest. Well worth a second visit.

http://dennis-lance.fotopic.net/c1070740.html

One question remains unanswered - why the Mayflower line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

Some nice photos and good to see something different.
Bit of a modern branchline fan myself but that branch is probably to far for me to get too from Bournemouth although it's an area i will try and get to one day.
Did Sudbury once but that was a rush job.

T

Tom

Chris, a 0759 start on the Weymouth - London (can get the bus to the station) can get to the branch pretty easily.

2035 return pretty easy too.

ChrisM

Cheers Tom, although i would have thought costly unless it was a W/E.

T

Tom

Weekdays you could do the 0859 ex-Bomo on the megatrain, arr 1049.. down on the 2135. £2.50 RTN! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.