• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The meaning of "LOL"

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
It's original definition was "Laughing out loud" (also written occasionally as "Lots of Laughs"), used as a brief acronym to denote great amusement in chat conversations.

Now, it is overused to the point where nobody laughs out loud when they say it. In fact, they probably don't even give a **** about what you just wrote. More accurately, the acronym "lol" should be redefined as "Lack of laughter."

1. Computer slang for "Laughing out Loud"
2. A phrase meaning to laugh. Mostly used by n00bs

It stands for "laughing out loud." A slight irony to this definition is that generally people don't literally laugh out loud. That's reserved for other acronyms such as, but not limited to, LMMFAO, LMAO, ROTFLMAO, etc. Lol is most commonly used as a slience breaker, a reply to a joke that is SUPPOSED to be funny but really isn't, or an answer to an uncomfortable or random statement that one couldn't think of a better response to.

Originally meant "laughing out loud" but is now so overused that it now means "I find that vaguely amusing" also a filler word now when there is a puse in the conversation or the person is lost for a response, or they are too stupid or lazy to think of one.

A term commonly used on the internet when you're not really paying attention, or have nothing to say.

Back when chat was invented, believe it or not, the meaning of lol was nothing more than Lamer On Line, so most elite guys would use that too alert others and make fun of lamers without their knowledge, course lamers not knowing that, did not understand the meaning and quickly it became known to be Laughting Out Loud, score one for the lamers... :) all this happened when text was king and the net a mirage...like i said...believe it or not.

Believed my the masses to be an acronym for "laughing out loud", in truth the term "lol" is actually an acronym for "let's order linguini".

stands for 'laughing out loud' or not so commonly, 'lots of love'

people say it in texts and on msn, myspace and places like that.

now it's completely worthless, and just fills copnversation gaps.

teenagers are using the internet so much now, they even say 'lol' out loud. which is pathetic, lets be honest

A word used by ****tards

Simply stands for "Lack of Language".
Originally webspeak, but some people are starting to use it in real life which is scary.

Short for lollipop. Also known to be said from some of those ****ing dumbasses that dont laugh but instead they spell out the letters "L. O. L." Out loud because they think its cool.(Mainly emo kids)

Laying(Layed) On Ladies

It means you suck if you say it.
Add sucky points for CAPS, added L's and !'s.

This word is actually Dutch! It means fun, pleasure...
It also stands for "laughing out loud" but that's the language for noobs, who are playing games over the internet...

these "meanings" and much, much more @ http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lol&page=1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Used as a slience breaker, a reply to a joke that is SUPPOSED to be funny but really isn't, or an answer to an uncomfortable or random statement that one couldn't think of a better response to.

Filler word when there is a pause in the conversation or the person is lost for a response.

A term commonly used on the internet when you're not really paying attention, or have nothing to say.
About sums my use of "lol" up more times than not :oops:

Alekseys

It's the filler-word which people use when they can't be bothered to type anything else. Or for some people, an extra word tacked onto the end of every sentence they send over MSN.

It can be used so that chats can sound a bit light-hearted so person on the receiving end won't misinterpret your intentions.

For example... if you make a comment like the following, which one do you find less offensive?

"Hmmm... your an idiot!"

or

"Hmmm... your an idiot! lol"

The one with lol in it I guess?

As a proper acronym, lol can also stand for "London Overground Limited" :D

Established Member
David Im not a n00b I only say LOL when somthing is funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.