• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Merseyrail Underground & Overground Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieu

Sunday 26 January 2020

The Branch Line Society is delighted to act as booking agent for a low cost, easy day out railtour operated by Merseyrail, featuring a 6-car EMU.

£25.08 Adult
£0.01 Child (must be with 1 adult)

Provisional validated timings and route submitted to Network Rail:

Birkenhead North P1 (10.08 PU)Liverpool Lime Street P1 (10.21 PU) – Ellesmere Port (RM) – Hooton P1 (RM) – Chester P7 (RM) – James Street P2 – Stock Interchange/Holding Line – Liverpool Central – Hunts Cross P2 (RM) – Kirkby P1 (RM) – Sandhills Reversing Siding (RM) – Southport P2 (RM / break) – Sandhills Reversing Siding (RM) – Ormskirk P1 (RM) – Liverpool Central (RM) – Stock Interchange/Holding Line – James Street P2 – West Kirby P2 (RM) – Birkenhead North Signal 577 (RM) – New Brighton P1 (RM) – Birkenhead North P1 (17.08 SD).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSP 2

What is the cost?
Just to save us from having to go to the BLS web site.

D365

Veteran Member
A six car EMU railtour? That’s impressive!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I realise that this might be a silly question but what are performance and pathing allowances, please?

johnmoly

You can't go on the stock interchange line on a regular service. I agree with you though buying an all area saveaway for £5.55 will take you to most of the stations/lines.

notabasher

You can't go on the stock interchange line on a regular service. I agree with you though buying an all area saveaway for £5.55 will take you to most of the stations/lines.

A Saveaway will take you to all of them. And you can bash the "City Lines", buses and ferriers to your heart's content once you are done with the Merseyrail network.

I never did Helsby-Runcorn when it was a parliamentary service, £20 to do Central Low Level - James Street, a journey of half a mile or so (in the dark) - well you'd have to be a pretty desperate track-basher.

Mathieu

A Saveaway will take you to all of them. And you can bash the "City Lines", buses and ferriers to your heart's content once you are done with the Merseyrail network.

I never did Helsby-Runcorn when it was a parliamentary service, £20 to do Central Low Level - James Street, a journey of half a mile or so (in the dark) - well you'd have to be a pretty desperate track-basher.
The extra £20 will be going to good causes

Entertexthere

Sunday 26 January 2020

The Branch Line Society is delighted to act as booking agent for a low cost, easy day out railtour operated by Merseyrail, featuring a 6-car EMU.

£25.08 Adult
£0.01 Child (must be with 1 adult)

Provisional validated timings and route submitted to Network Rail:

Birkenhead North P1 (10.08 PU)Liverpool Lime Street P1 (10.21 PU) – Ellesmere Port (RM) – Hooton P1 (RM) – Chester P7 (RM) – James Street P2 – Stock Interchange/Holding Line – Liverpool Central – Hunts Cross P2 (RM) – Kirkby P1 (RM) – Sandhills Reversing Siding (RM) – Southport P2 (RM / break) – Sandhills Reversing Siding (RM) – Ormskirk P1 (RM) – Liverpool Central (RM) – Stock Interchange/Holding Line – James Street P2 – West Kirby P2 (RM) – Birkenhead North Signal 577 (RM) – New Brighton P1 (RM) – Birkenhead North P1 (17.08 SD).
I take it that what is classified as child is under 5? because £0.01 for any child under 18 would not make that much sense revenue-wise .

notabasher

The extra £20 will be going to good causes

One could just give £20 to a good cause then.

I don't want to knock your society, and the low-cost rare-track sort of railtour can be quite interesting. But I don't get this plan of staggering from signal to signal inbetween the very frequent all-stations trains, on the country's most boring suburban network, in stock which (whilst comfortable enough) offers the worst window views of any in Britain.

A fast run from Hunts Cross to Southport might be a fun novelty but won't happen unless you clear he network of other trains. If one wants to clear Merseyrail, service trains will give a picture of the people joining and alighting at each station (which is much the most interesting part of the system anyway).

bluegoblin7

Established Member
‘Not a basher’ but quite happy to bash the exploits of others.

If it’s not for you that’s fine, but you don’t need to go on this crusade. Others may have this right up their straße.

NewSt

I take it that what is classified as child is under 5? because £0.01 for any child under 18 would not make that much sense revenue-wise .

No, it's under 18. Under 18s can only travel accompanied by an adult, though so under 18s can't just get on the tour for 1p.

bramling

Veteran Member

I don't want to knock your society, and the low-cost rare-track sort of railtour can be quite interesting. But I don't get this plan of staggering from signal to signal inbetween the very frequent all-stations trains, on the country's most boring suburban network, in stock which (whilst comfortable enough) offers the worst window views of any in Britain.

A fast run from Hunts Cross to Southport might be a fun novelty but won't happen unless you clear he network of other trains. If one wants to clear Merseyrail, service trains will give a picture of the people joining and alighting at each station (which is much the most interesting part of the system anyway).

At the end of the day it’s worthwhile for people who want to cover the stock interchange line, with a couple of other relatively rare moves thrown in. Having said that, a couple more sidings or similar wouldn’t have gone amiss!

I wouldn’t describe Merseyrail as boring though. There’s plenty of interest for those who know where to look.

Skymonster

Established Member
Was a rather excellent and relaxed day out, with the units well loaded but not so full it was uncomfortable and there was some space left to spread out a little. 507001 and 508134, plus all the staff, put in a sterling effort and the entire trip never ran more than a minute late, occasionally ran a tad early, and started and returned to Birkenhead North bang on time.

To those who challenge the value (and I’m not a track basher at all), I think it was well worth the fare. Yes, the £5.55 saveaway is an alternative, but is it REALLY possible to do the entire Merseyrail network - taking in trips out to Chester, Ellesmere Port, Hunts Cross, Kirby, Southport, Ormskirk, West Kirby, New Brighton and all the rest in both directions - in a single day or even in seven hours or so, and without starting or finishing at stupid o,clock? This tour delivered it all, plus a few unusual bits, in an easy manner without any need to stand out in the cold waiting for another train, while starting and ending at sensible times.

Well done Merseyrail and BLS.

Mathieu

Was a rather excellent and relaxed day out, with the units well loaded but not so full it was uncomfortable and there was some space left to spread out a little. 507001 and 508134, plus all the staff, put in a sterling effort and the entire trip never ran more than a minute late, occasionally ran a tad early, and started and returned to Birkenhead North bang on time.

To those who challenge the value (and I’m not a track basher at all), I think it was well worth the fare. Yes, the £5.55 saveaway is an alternative, but is it REALLY possible to do the entire Merseyrail network - taking in trips out to Chester, Ellesmere Port, Hunts Cross, Kirby, Southport, Ormskirk, West Kirby, New Brighton and all the rest in both directions - in a single day or even in seven hours or so, and without starting or finishing at stupid o,clock? This tour delivered it all, plus a few unusual bits, in an easy manner without any need to stand out in the cold waiting for another train, while starting and ending at sensible times.

Well done Merseyrail and BLS.
Another great thing was all the high speed runs through places where it would be impossible due to how close the stations are together. The tour was perfectly timed to not follow a passenger train too! Well worth my £25. Also at the end I overheard the guard letting us know we raised over £3,000 for the charity!

John Luxton

Established Member
I would just like to add that I thought it was an excellent day out. I turned 60 a few months ago and now have a Merseyside residents over 60 travel pass and can use Merseyrail for free.

However, I had no hesitation to sign up for this trip. Since I joined the BLS a few years ago this is my third Merseyrail tour and they have all been good.

It was announced that the tour had raised £3000 for Alder Hey Chldrens' Hospital somewhere that has helped many children from North West England and North Wales.

I was born with a club foot and it was Alder Hey which corrected it for me as a baby. Certainly a good cause.

Also fun on a tour like this is speeding through the stations and the expressions on some of the passengers when the train doesn't stop!

I imagine when the new stock comes on line there will be another tour in the offing. Hope so!

John

youngiecj

Echo others sentiments. An excellent day out, enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The fast running was a personal highlight although there wasn't much track that I needed. A good atmosphere on board, the BLS team really do a great job,

johnmoly

Surely the most boring and offers the worst window views of any in Britain is the London Underground.

_toommm_

Established Member
Certainly a great day, and the timing worked well as light faded just as the tour ended. It was my first railtour, and my first experience of BLS and both were very positive. I had a bay of 4 all to myself all day, and it was definitely worth the money.

Well done to everyone who donated too - to say we went from £800 midday to over £3,000 by 5 is a Stirling effort!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Sounds like excellent day out.

What's the reason for the strange pricing?
£25.08p

Why 8p

Status
Not open for further replies.