• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Micklehurst Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last two weeks of January 2021 my wife and I followed the length of the Micklehurst Loop from Stalybridge to Diggle. We had been looking for new local walks to undertake in the spirit of lockdown. The route proved to be a gem. Each day that we walked we travelled along part of the Loop line and then crossed to the neighbouring Huddersfield Narrow Canal for the return journey. Everything was enhanced by the presence of a number of cafes providing take-away drinks, cakes and some more substantial food. Each day we walked around 5 miles, there and back.

This is the first of a number of posts covering the Loop line. ................

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Myself and some forum members walked it a while back.

It was a very pleasant walk.

geoffk

Established Member
Not far from me but I've never walked any of it. A shame the structures were not retained as the line could have been reopened and electrified for use by Trans-Pennine Express, leaving the Mossley route for improved local services and freight. All too late now and isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Did the Northern part of this as an alternative route back whilst navigating a section of the Peak District Boundary walk back in August. Bit of a faff making one's way off the embankment down to street level and back up again where bridge sections have been taken out, but otherwise a pleasant enough walk.

The old Uppermill railway station building (presumably now in private ownership) still impressive and in reasonably good condition more than 100 years after closure to passengers in 1917.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Did the Northern part of this as an alternative route back whilst navigating a section of the Peak District Boundary walk back in August. Bit of a faff making one's way off the embankment down to street level and back up again where bridge sections have been taken out, but otherwise a pleasant enough walk.

The old Uppermill railway station building (presumably now in private ownership) still impressive and in reasonably good condition more than 100 years after closure to passengers in 1917.
Micklehurst and Friezland stationmasters houses are still extant too. The goods shed for Staley & Millbrook probably hasn't fallen down yet and the one for Micklehurst still exists but incorporated in private premises.

This is a short addendum to my first article about the Micklehurst Loop, promoted by a few emails from an online acquaintance, Tony Jervis. ....

A second addendum to the first post about the Micklehurst Loop.

Just a few days after I completed addendum 1A about the first length of The Micklehurst Loop and particularly about Staley and Millbrook Station and Goods Yard, I heard from James Ward who recollected some photographs taken by his father of the demolition of the Spring Grove Viaduct.

He also pointed out a series of photographs on the 'Timepix' website. These are predominantly photographs of the Greater Manchester Revision Point Collection undertaken by/on-behalf-of the Ordnance Survey in the early 1950s and are held by Manchester Libraries. The introduction to the 'Timepix' website makes it clear that all of their watermarked images are free to download and share.

billh

There is a point lever from the sidings ground frame near Spring Grove still in use on a narrow gauge line in Ashton Under Lyne. It is an LNWR "stirrup" pattern lever. If I remember correctly it had an electric release fitted lower down the lever, not there now.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Nice to read - and an interesting selection of images posted too - thanks for linking to your blog post Roger.

Last edited:

In the last two weeks of January 2021 my wife and I followed the length of the Micklehurst Loop from Stalybridge to Diggle. We had been looking for new local walks to undertake in the spirit of lockdown. The route proved to be a gem. Each day that we walked we travelled along part of the Loop line and then crossed to the neighbouring Huddersfield Narrow Canal for the return journey. Everything was enhanced by the presence of a number of cafes providing take-away drinks, cakes and some more substantial food. Each day we walked around 5 miles, there and back.

This is the first of a number of posts covering the Loop line. ................

This is superb research Roger. Praise indeed! I realise now that I have walked parts of the route in the past but not as extensively as you have. Keep up the good work

apk55

Nice research.
I often do walks that include part of Mickehurst loop, including many before lock down. Even organized some walks for my local rambling group that include sections of the line. For example some have inculded Hartshead pike or Swineshaw reservoir using the line to return.

Revaulx

In happier times we sometimes walk along the canal from Greenfield to Stalybridge, which takes one through the exciting Scout Tunnel. Beers in each of the micro bars on Melbourne Street, followed by either more beer at the Station and the train back or, if feeling athletic, a walk back along the Micklehurst Loop.

I wouldn’t fancy negotiating the towpath, and particularly the tunnel, having had a few...

The Micklehurst Loop again. ......

Another addendum to my post on the first length of the Micklehurst Loop which includes, among other things, the two CEGB locomotives which served the coal facilities at the Staley and Millbrook Goods Yard

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are you still planning on covering the section of the old line which was North of Friezland / Greenfield viaduct in due course?

Yes, I am working on the second length moving North at the moment. That will get as far as Micklehurst Station. The others will follow. ........................................

This is the second length of the Micklehurst Loop. It covers the length between Staley and Millbrook Goods Yard and Micklehurst Passenger Station buildings. ....

Part 2 - Staley & Millbrook Goods Yard to Micklehurst Station

We continue our journey North along the Micklehurst Loop. We start from the Staley and Millbrook Goods Shed which is still standing and which is covered in the two articles above. The old loop is still closely following the River Tame and the Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Last edited:
The third length of the Micklehurst Loop takes us from Micklehurst Passenger Station House to Chew Valley Road Bridge in Greenfield. ......

Since publishing the first three articles about the Micklehurst Loop. I have had a trickle feed of comments, particularly about the Staley and Millbrook Goods Yard. This short addendum to the first article seeks to bring those items together in one place. It is the fourth addendum to that first post.

Last edited:
An addendum to the post about the third length of the Micklehurst Loop which covers a 1963 image contributed by Keith Norgrove and some further information about Mossley Gas Works and its sidings. .....

This last post on the Micklehurst Loop completes the journey to Diggle and takes us to the mouths of the Standedge tunnels and Diggle Station.

We completed our walk in January but returned in April to take a few pictures at the site of what was once Diggle Station. ....

Thank you. I struggled to find any pictures of the southern portal of Butterhouse Tunnel which was infilled some time ago. I only found one online which as yet I have not got permission to share from the photographer, so Instead I have linked to it. You will find the link in the text and in the references. There are some excellent explorer sites the web which provide some fantastic internal pictures of Butterhouse tunnel, these also are referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.