• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Missus/The Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Does it grate with anybody else when people say the above rather than "my wife" or her name? Saying "the" always makes me think of someone saying "the cat", "the dog" or "the car" or similar.
I'm not sure I've ever heard someone say "The husband" or "The Mr".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I refer to her by her name.

I hate the term this is "my wife" as to me it is deeply misogynistic and suggests ownership or property. My wife is free to make her own decisions and live her own life without having to ask permission.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Does it grate with anybody else when people say the above rather than "my wife" or her name? Saying "the" always makes me think of someone saying "the cat", "the dog" or "the car" or similar.

I’ve heard plenty of women say, “My fella”.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

It's a term on endearment isn't it? "Well, I better be getting back to The Missues"

westv

Established Member

I hate the term this is "my wife" as to me it is deeply misogynistic and suggests ownership or property. My wife is free to make her own decisions and live her own life without having to ask permission.
Although there might be occasion when you might have to mention your wife/husband before the person you are talking to knows their name so "my" is ok in that instance.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
If I see "Misses" it looks to me like the plural of Miss. "The Mrs" was more often spelt "Missus" surely

But people say "my home town" without denoting ownership.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Is this a wind-up?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'The other half' is the phrase I despise, spoken by both sexes. I'm very tempted to ask 'is that the half who stores the brains?', but maybe that explains why I've lived with a broken nose for decades. Married continuously since the 1960s by the way, with no parole granted.

gg1

Established Member

Okay, I'll bite.

When you mention your wife in conversation with a 3rd party, what phrase do you use so that person knows you're not talking about mother, daughter, sister etc?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Mrs. started out as an abbreviation of Mistress.

The spelling “missus“ is an attempt to write Mrs the way we say it - personally I don’t consider it a real word. I’ll get grief for that, but whatever…

But “Misses” as in the title is still the plural of “Miss”, isn’t it?

Your wife, whom you always refer to by name??

Yes, and why would I in this instance by mentioning name make myself identifiable on this forum. I work in the industry and the social media policies are constantly changing as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

pdeaves

Established Member
But “Misses” as in the title is still the plural of “Miss”, isn’t it?
Yes, The Misses Smith refers to several Miss Smiths (in practice nowadays likely only used to refer to a group of elderly spinster sisters, if even then).

In terms of 'the wife', I find it impersonal. I have challenged a colleague several times 'does she have a name?'. I don't mind 'my wife', as that implies you are 'her husband'; it's a two way relationship.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes, and why would I in this instance by mentioning name make myself identifiable on this forum. I work in the industry and the social media policies are constantly changing as to what is acceptable and what isn't.
So it’s alright for you to refer to her as your possession online when you’re anonymous? I can’t quite believe anyone who says “my wife” is treating them as their property. Aren’t you her husband?

What about your home town? Or your religion? Do you own those too?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
'The other half' is the phrase I despise...
I use 'my other half' occasionally, with the intention of denoting 'the other half of the partnership that I'm in'.
No implied ownership by the use of 'my', and a useful if colloquial way to describe the other person in a long-term but unmarried partnership.
Other times I'll use 'my partner' but that can be somewhat ambiguous (business partner, partner at a law firm?).

Someone once suggested 'my worthy adversary' but that's just too comic/twee.

Bit of a minefield this language lark.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
How can "my wife" be misogynistic when it's a term that same-sex couples use as well?

Using "the missus" is just an informal way of saying "my wife" and I really don't see a problem with it. It's how you describe your relationship to someone; should we ban the use of "my mum" or "my granda" because they also imply ownership?

D365

Veteran Member
So it’s alright for you to refer to her as your possession online when you’re anonymous? I can’t quite believe anyone who says “my wife” is treating them as their property. Aren’t you her husband?
Who else’s wife is she?

Geezertronic

Established Member
This thread and comment #3 in particular reminds me of last weeks laughable "Ladies and Gentlemen" thread where people seem to want to get offended over everything. As someone who is regularly introduced by my wife as "my husband" or "my hubby", this is really a non-existent problem...

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
What are you supposed to call your wife when speaking to people who don't personally know her then?
Using "the missus" is just an informal way of saying "my wife" and I really don't see a problem with it. It's how you describe your relationship to someone; should we ban the use of "my mum" or "my granda" because they also imply ownership?
Pretty much this.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always thought it was “missus” rather than “misses.”

Status
Not open for further replies.