• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Model Railway Layout Design Software SCARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mixy

Hello :)

I want to introduce my layout design program, called SCARM (from Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller), which you can download from www.scarm.info and use for planning of your new railway layouts. It has lightweight and intuitive user interface, build-in 3D viewer and many other cool functions and features. I am actively developing SCARM from more than 3 years and will accept any ideas or suggestions about new features and improvements.

Here are 3 screenshots from the 2D editor and 3D viewer - click over them to enlarge:

I hope that you will like SCARM and that it will be useful to all of you ;)

Mixy

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RogerB

I've just had a bit of a play with it and I like it, nice and intuitive.

I designed a basic oval with a reversing loop, three things would be useful.

1) Orthogonal locks when moving items.

2) To be able to select 2 endpoints and display the gap between them. This would be more accurate than the tape measure. Alternatively snap the tape measure to endpoints. Perhaps an algorithm to calculate what standard track lengths would be required to fill the gap?

3) Guide lines (with optional orthogonal lock). To align track whose endpoints are a large distance apart. Most useful at low zoom levels. A guideline would snap on the rail endpoints, be different colour to the track and display its length. Where a track runs at an angle to the XY axes it should be possible to project the guideline along that angle.

Mixy

Thank you, guys :)

@RogerB: Good ideas. I will consider them for the next versions of SCARM. However, the guidelines can be represented even now from any Start point and angle by using of temporary straight track pieces. May be I should explain that in more details in the blog.

And as I mentioned the blog, here is it: www.scarm.info/blog. In the blog I am posting all about SCARM that is not mentioned in the documentation like tips & tricks, tutorials & examples, some advanced techniques, video demos, design ideas and more.

A good starting point for beginners are SCARM Video Tutorial Series. Hope all you will like them, even experienced SCARM users :)

Mixy

Last edited:

Mixy

One more cool resource in SCARM web site is the section with layouts and track plans, where you will find many projects and designs together with presentations of already build real layouts, all which are created in SCARM. See it here:

SCARM Train Layouts and Track Plans

You may search the projects by scale, size, trackage and other criteria. All or almost all designs are coming together with their .scarm project files for download. You can also send me your own SCARM designs and I may upload them into the database.

Here is the featured layout for February: Warren's Layout in HO scale

Warren_Real_HO_Layout_1-460.jpg

Hope all this will be interesting to you :)

Mixy

Mixy

And here is it, the new SCARM v. 0.9.24, coming with the long-awaited feature for true roads with grades and various surface markings! See more details about the new version here:

SCARM v. 0.9.24 Released

Hope you will like it ;)

Mixy

Mixy

3 tutorials about using of the new road feature in SCARM 0.9.24 were published in the blog. See them here:

The roads in SCARM - All tutorials

The articles are showing how to work with the basic road section and how to assemble the crossings, IS adapters and IS approaches in order to get various intersections and combinations, like the one below:

road_crossing-with-is-adapter-2a-2D.jpg

road_crossing-with-is-adapter-2-3D.jpg

The images are showing right driving surface markings, but left driving is supported as well.

More about the roadways in SCARM will come soon :)

Mixy

Emyr

I misunderstood the title of this thread in the "New Posts" search...

Does anyone know of publically-available software for designing real-life alignments? One that allows you to set the restrictions for a given segment (e.g given freight plus 100mph non-tilt EMUs, there would be a maximum cant and minimum radius) and that would report the scale of earthwork or bridgebuilding required for that alignment?

Mixy

May be others will be able to help you with such software...

And for SCARM I want to present another two interesting articles from the blog. They are:

How To Make a Roundhouse in SCARM - if you want to represent a realistic roundhouse in the track plan and 3D viewer.
How To Speed-Up SCARM - if you are editing a large layout and SCARM is working slowly.

Hope these will be of help when designing the layouts and track plans :)

Mixy

Mixy

The new SCARM v. 0.9.25 is ready and comes with two new figures and many new and updated track libraries. Read more about it here:

SCARM Layout Planning Software 0.9.25 Released

The new figures are horizontal and vertical cylinders and will allow drawing of objects and rolling stock, like the small engine showed below:

SCARM-T3-steam-switcher-sm.jpg

Hope you will like the new version ;)

Mixy

Llanigraham

On Moderation
No, at home.
Looks like you have a bit of code somewhere that shows a potential problem

MetroDriver

Just checked the site myself using various scans, and main reported error is that the version of Wordpress used is outdated and vulnerable....

Also no firewall protection to stop malicious activity being inserted into the site by hackers....

That may explain why an ISP has flagged the site as harmful!

Mixy

I re-checked everything again and it is clean. It could be some AdSense banner that is leading to a suspicious site outside SCARM pages or because of the JavaScript code that I am using for show/hide of the full version history. If that continues, let me know which security product or service is giving this alarm and will check it in details.

Mixy

Mixy

OK, I reported the false positive for SCARM website to F-Secure team and the rating should be updated in their products soon. Check again in 1-2 days.

Mixy

Mixy

In the meantime, several users reported for a problem with the new SCARM 0.9.25 after update. This is probably due to corrupted download of the installation package. It seems that sometimes installer is able to run even if it is not downloaded correctly, but after that, the program crashes on startup. If you also experience such problems, follow the steps described in the link below:

Resolving SCARM Installation Issues

This should help for fixing of bad setup package downloads.

Mixy

Last edited:

Mixy

Many users asked about the file with the small steam engine that I used to show the new cylinder figures in SCARM v. 0.9.25 and here is it:

Drawing of Prussian T3 Steam Loco in SCARM

The article shows most of the steps in the drawing of a close representation of Prussian T3 loco in HO scale. In example, here is the wheelset - as parts and assembled:

T3-1a.jpg
T3-1b.jpg

See more pics in the blog post and download the project file to see it on your own PCs.

Mixy

P.S. You will need the latest v. 0.9.25 of SCARM in order to view this project - older versions will show error message when opening.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Recently I launched the new SCARM website which is now with modern look and responsive design and comes with a lot of new and updated information and resources about the program and its features. See it here:

www.scarm.info

SCARM_new_site_preview_sm.png

The site now works well not only on PCs, but also on tablets and smartphones too. Contents section is rewritten and optimized for easy navigation and access to the most important pages. The same is valid also for the documentation - it has new structure with many new and updated topics. See the new help page here:

Online help & FAQ about SCARM layout software

Hope you will like the new site :)

Mixy

Last edited:

Mixy

Many new model railway layouts were added to the SCARM database in the last weeks. See two of them - one in HO and another in N:

The Layout Extension of Chris in HO scale

SCARM_2015projek_konsep18_edited_3D_Railway_Layout_1-460.jpg

Nathan's Pass Railway Layout in N Scale

SCARM_Nathans_Pass_3D_Model_Railroad_Layout_1-460.jpg

Both projects contains many new user-created objects such as various buildings, vehicles, rolling stock and more :)

If you want to see more, check the links below:

Model railway layouts in HO scale (more than 30 so far)
Model railway layouts in N scale (more than 20 so far)
Hornby track plans in OO scale

Mixy

Mixy

IMPORTANT!

Several bugs were discovered in SCARM 0.9.26 related to the renaming of the layers and then save and restore of the already changed layer names. The patched version of the program was released today.
Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.27, which can be downloaded from www.scarm.info to fix these problems.

See more about this bugfix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.27 Released.

I am sorry if these bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

And here are presented the first very detailed virtual locomotive models in SCARM, created by Ian Donohoe and shown in the following SCARM post:

Detailed 3D Models of US Diesel Locomotives in SCARM

Below are two of them:

SCARM_EMD_GP9-SP_diesel_locomotive_1.jpg

SCARM_EMD_G30-ATSF_diesel_locomotive_1.jpg

These are created with the object's interface of SCARM and are auto-scalable to the scale and gauge of the used tracks in the layout plan.

SCARM_All_GP9_Diesl_Locos_different_scales.jpg

Download the loco library from the blog's post and use these nice models in your virtual SCARM layouts :)

Mixy

Last edited:

Kristofferson

As a complete newbie to railway modelling, SCARM is a lifesaver and has saved me from buying a load of track, only to realise it doesn't all fit together! :D

Thank you :) I will donate in due course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.