The Model Railway Layout Design Software SCARM

Discussion in 'Modelling, Memorabilia & Publications' started by Mixy, 14 Jan 2014.

1. Mixy

Mixy Member

Hello :)

I want to introduce my layout design program, called SCARM (from Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller), which you can download from www.scarm.info and use for planning of your new railway layouts. It has lightweight and intuitive user interface, build-in 3D viewer and many other cool functions and features. I am actively developing SCARM from more than 3 years and will accept any ideas or suggestions about new features and improvements.

Here are 3 screenshots from the 2D editor and 3D viewer - click over them to enlarge:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope that you will like SCARM and that it will be useful to all of you ;)

Mixy

Last edited: 7 Aug 2017
  2. Tommy91125

Tommy91125 Member

I think SCARM is really good I'm using it for my new model railway.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2014
  3. RogerB

RogerB Member

I've just had a bit of a play with it and I like it, nice and intuitive.

I designed a basic oval with a reversing loop, three things would be useful.

1) Orthogonal locks when moving items.

2) To be able to select 2 endpoints and display the gap between them. This would be more accurate than the tape measure. Alternatively snap the tape measure to endpoints. Perhaps an algorithm to calculate what standard track lengths would be required to fill the gap?

3) Guide lines (with optional orthogonal lock). To align track whose endpoints are a large distance apart. Most useful at low zoom levels. A guideline would snap on the rail endpoints, be different colour to the track and display its length. Where a track runs at an angle to the XY axes it should be possible to project the guideline along that angle.

4. Mixy

Mixy Member

Thank you, guys :)

@RogerB: Good ideas. I will consider them for the next versions of SCARM. However, the guidelines can be represented even now from any Start point and angle by using of temporary straight track pieces. May be I should explain that in more details in the blog.

And as I mentioned the blog, here is it: www.scarm.info/blog. In the blog I am posting all about SCARM that is not mentioned in the documentation like tips & tricks, tutorials & examples, some advanced techniques, video demos, design ideas and more.

A good starting point for beginners are SCARM Video Tutorial Series. Hope all you will like them, even experienced SCARM users :)

Mixy

Last edited: 10 Mar 2014
  5. Mixy

Mixy Member

One more cool resource in SCARM web site is the section with layouts and track plans, where you will find many projects and designs together with presentations of already build real layouts, all which are created in SCARM. See it here:

SCARM Train Layouts and Track Plans

You may search the projects by scale, size, trackage and other criteria. All or almost all designs are coming together with their .scarm project files for download. You can also send me your own SCARM designs and I may upload them into the database.

Here is the featured layout for February: Warren's Layout in HO scale

[​IMG]

Hope all this will be interesting to you :)

Mixy

6. Mixy

Mixy Member

And here is it, the new SCARM v. 0.9.24, coming with the long-awaited feature for true roads with grades and various surface markings! See more details about the new version here:

SCARM v. 0.9.24 Released

Hope you will like it ;)

Mixy

7. Mixy

Mixy Member

3 tutorials about using of the new road feature in SCARM 0.9.24 were published in the blog. See them here:

The roads in SCARM - All tutorials

The articles are showing how to work with the basic road section and how to assemble the crossings, IS adapters and IS approaches in order to get various intersections and combinations, like the one below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The images are showing right driving surface markings, but left driving is supported as well.

More about the roadways in SCARM will come soon :)

Mixy

8. Emyr

Emyr Member

I misunderstood the title of this thread in the "New Posts" search...

Does anyone know of publically-available software for designing real-life alignments? One that allows you to set the restrictions for a given segment (e.g given freight plus 100mph non-tilt EMUs, there would be a maximum cant and minimum radius) and that would report the scale of earthwork or bridgebuilding required for that alignment?

9. Mixy

Mixy Member

May be others will be able to help you with such software...

And for SCARM I want to present another two interesting articles from the blog. They are:

How To Make a Roundhouse in SCARM - if you want to represent a realistic roundhouse in the track plan and 3D viewer.
    How To Speed-Up SCARM - if you are editing a large layout and SCARM is working slowly.

Hope these will be of help when designing the layouts and track plans :)

Mixy

10. Mixy

Mixy Member

The new SCARM v. 0.9.25 is ready and comes with two new figures and many new and updated track libraries. Read more about it here:

SCARM Layout Planning Software 0.9.25 Released

The new figures are horizontal and vertical cylinders and will allow drawing of objects and rolling stock, like the small engine showed below:

[​IMG]

Hope you will like the new version ;)

Mixy

11. Llanigraham

Llanigraham Established Member

12. gazthomas

gazthomas Established Member

Must be your ISP. Did you try and access from work? If so problem accidentally blacklisted.

13. Mixy

Mixy Member

14. Llanigraham

No, at home.
    Looks like you have a bit of code somewhere that shows a potential problem

15. MetroDriver

MetroDriver Member

Just checked the site myself using various scans, and main reported error is that the version of Wordpress used is outdated and vulnerable....

Also no firewall protection to stop malicious activity being inserted into the site by hackers....

That may explain why an ISP has flagged the site as harmful!

16. Mixy

Mixy Member

I re-checked everything again and it is clean. It could be some AdSense banner that is leading to a suspicious site outside SCARM pages or because of the JavaScript code that I am using for show/hide of the full version history. If that continues, let me know which security product or service is giving this alarm and will check it in details.

Mixy

17. Llanigraham

Still blocked.
    Using Windows 7 and F-Secure virus checker

18. Mixy

Mixy Member

OK, I reported the false positive for SCARM website to F-Secure team and the rating should be updated in their products soon. Check again in 1-2 days.

Mixy

19. Mixy

Mixy Member

In the meantime, several users reported for a problem with the new SCARM 0.9.25 after update. This is probably due to corrupted download of the installation package. It seems that sometimes installer is able to run even if it is not downloaded correctly, but after that, the program crashes on startup. If you also experience such problems, follow the steps described in the link below:

Resolving SCARM Installation Issues

This should help for fixing of bad setup package downloads.

Mixy

Last edited: 9 Oct 2014
  20. Mixy

Mixy Member