• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG

Established Member
We've got an in rear job now. We periodically go through the disposable caps like no tomorrow but at least there's no panicking.

I wonder how long it will take for shops etc to raise they are useless?
If they are battery powered then it'll be when the battery runs out...

And thanks so much for the typo, I was really needing a good laugh and I'm still having a wee chuckle 10 minutes later :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
Haha! Fat fingers on a phone keyboard!

That's the best typo I've seen for a long time...

To clear up the thermometer thing. I work on the NHS front line. The IR thermometers are not accurate. Back at the start of all this I was declared clinically dead because I'd been outside sorting out a dodgy data connection for half an hour in temperatures of about 3 degrees. My skin surface was cold. Now we are getting patients turning up with 40 degree plus temperatures registering. They do not have a raging fever, they have been sat in a hot car. A quick cross check with one of the proper in ear jobs proves them to be at normal body temperature.

Although going back to the discussion of why the UK wasn't using them in airports, it would be a bit of a different matter when scanning passengers who have just spent an hour or more in a nice temperature controlled airliner.

Darandio

Established Member
Our local council are currently involved in a corker, taking away a whole section of an open public recreational area and erecting around 350m of high fencing so it can only be used by pub teams on a Sunday morning. Not temporary fencing either, full blown stuff at considerable expense, all so the great unwashed cannot touch the same blades of grass that a bunch of hungover* blokes will be playing on.

*We were all hungover when I played Sunday morning football for 10 years, cannot see why they still wouldn't be now. :D

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I haven't been subjected to anything too absurd to date.

Pubs have varied between not giving a single toss and asking you to do track and trace without much camaraderie. The only time I've witnessed something a little absurd was someone being asked to re-enter the pub building and then go out of an exit about 20 feet to their right just to comply with a one-way system, having already exited through the "wrong" door. I'm sure a friendly reminder would have sufficed as the place was hardly heaving.

I went for a medical for my new job on Friday and I was provided with a massive long document before I arrived detailing every single procedure that I had to comply with. In reality I had to wait outside of the building and call to inform them of my arrival then a receptionist came outside and scanned my temperature. I couldn't help but laugh though at the one-way system imposed in the waiting room around the four chairs, which was a loop maybe a few metres in circumference! Being the only patient I decided not to do a little twee circle around all the chairs before my appointment. Other than that though it was fairly relaxed.

Scrotnig

The only time I've witnessed something a little absurd was someone being asked to re-enter the pub building and then go out of an exit about 20 feet to their right just to comply with a one-way system, having already exited through the "wrong" door. I'm sure a friendly reminder would have sufficed as the place was hardly heaving.
Sounds like being at school.

If that had been me, I'd have gladly gone out of the exit door as requested...and then not gone back in. At all. Ever.

Businesses doing that to their customers need to be shown that the trade will go elsewhere where customers aren't treated like misbehaving schoolchildren.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I couldn't help but laugh though at the one-way system imposed in the waiting room around the four chairs, which was a loop maybe a few metres in circumference!
This is the sort of thing the "we must do something" box-ticking clipboard holding brigade love to implement, and allocate themselves brownie points for.

Here is odd one, taken in Scarborough by @Crossover:
oneway.jpg
image shows a bridge, with an arrow stating "one way system in place", inviting you to cross the bridge, along with a sign with a no entry symbol

I also visited Bedford a few weeks ago and there were 'no entry signs' at the exit, which you have to walk past, to exit (is that signage still there, @Mike395?)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is the sort of thing the "we must do something" box-ticking clipboard holding brigade love to implement, and allocate themselves brownie points for.

View attachment 81303
image shows a bridge, with an arrow stating "one way system in place", inviting you to cross the bridge, along with a sign with a no entry symbol

I also visited Bedford a few weeks ago and there were 'no entry signs' at the exit, which you have to walk past, to exit (is that signage still there, @Mike395?)
I think I’d wade through the river as it’s less confusing...

Scrotnig

I think that bridge signage basically means keep to the left. Odd way of stating it though if I’m right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantamzen

Established Member

View attachment 81303

That's it, game over. We have the winner of the Covid-Stupidity award for 2020.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think that bridge signage basically means keep to the left. Odd way of stating it though if I’m right.
Yes, I think so. If there was already "keep left" signage it would have had to change to "keep right" in order to be seen to be doing something.

Incidentally, if anyone is at Huddersfield, Chesterfield, or any other station where this has been done, it would be interesting to see photos of this.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

View attachment 81303

No, they've improved the one-way system since you came through (and it looked like Starbucks was possibly preparing to open soon when I passed through on Friday, which will mean another rethink as at the moment, you can only get to it if you're leaving the station!)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport

View attachment 81303

One of the pedestrian bridges in Durham (by the cricket club) had one of the most bizarre arrangements I've ever seen.

The council had blocked off half of the width of it to "aid social distancing" then said that if someone was approaching you had to wait for them to cross first. I couldn't get my head around it as surely the bridge left as is would be perfectly fine?

Then again this is the same council that still had "ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY" signs plastered all over Stanley Bus Station yesterday.

duncanp

Established Member
The council had blocked off half of the width of it to "aid social distancing" then said that if someone was approaching you had to wait for them to cross first. I couldn't get my head around it as surely the bridge left as is would be perfectly fine?

That is daft.

How on earth can reducing the width of a pedestrian bridge aid social distancing?

If anything, it would have the opposite effect.

And in any case, if the bridge is in the open air, the risk of transmission of the virus by momentarily passing within 1 metre of someone coming in the opposite direction is vanishingly small.

DB

That is daft.

How on earth can reducing the width of a pedestrian bridge aid social distancing?

If anything, it would have the opposite effect.

And in any case, if the bridge is in the open air, the risk of transmission of the virus by momentarily passing within 1 metre of someone coming in the opposite direction is vanishingly small.

But local councils are full of people who like making petty rules even under normal circumstances. This situation has given them a whole new dimension in which to practice their art!

talldave

Established Member
But local councils are full of people who like making petty rules even under normal circumstances. This situation has given them a whole new dimension in which to practice their art!
That's one of the worrying things that most people haven't noticed, the local government little hitler brigade, obsessed by perspex and spray painting patronising arrows on pavements being given more powers.

When my partner walked out of a local shop after having a thermometer pointed at her and the shop owner came running after her, it appeared that she'd been given "guidance" and probably sold a ludicrously priced thermometer as well. That approach was rapidly dropped.

Enthusiast

It might be arguable to be a bit pointless, but I don't see why anyone would object to it.
So, something else which is arguably a bit pointless. The reason people should object to it is precisely because it is arguably pointless. People in this country should not be subject to arguably pointless procedures in order to be allowed into a shop. BTW, I would suggest it is not arguably pointless. I would suggest it simply is pointless - completely and utterly pointless.
If there was already "keep left" signage it would have had to change to "keep right" in order to be seen to be doing something.
I believe that there is emerging evidence that far more people are infected passing others on bridges when they pass on the left, than on the right. Some studies say the extra risk can be as much as 0.007% :D

My local large hospital backs on to a Sainsbury's superstore. Many patients and visitors use Sainsbury' car park. It's £2 for two hours which you can have refunded if you spend a fiver in the store. A lot better than the hospital car park which starts at £4.80 for the first hour. A couple of bus routes also terminate there. Anyway, there is a nice footpath from the store's car park to the front of the hospital. About 3m wide and edged by walls and shrubs. This footpath has been closed "to allow social distancing". Not even open one way. So, what does that mean? Instead of walking perhaps 50 or 60 metres down the path, patients and visitors (some attending out-patients clinics for bad hips, knees and ankles) now have to walk across the car park, through the bus station, across the front of the store, out into the main road (passing another five or six small shops, a pub, a dentist and a bus stop), round the corner and into the main entrance of the hospital - about 700 to 800 metres. What utter lunatics are running things in this country?

Crossover

Established Member
Haha! Fat fingers on a phone keyboard!

That’s the best Freudian slip I’ve seen for a while - gave me a good laugh!

oneway.jpg

undefined

That’s correct. I must say I was taken aback when I first got to it (and did stop for a moment to make sure I was understanding it correctly) but knowing the location (Peasholm Park - bridge to the island, which is rarely open anyway!) I knew there was no other access. What I think has happened is the council (presumably, I think it’s their responsibility) have purchased a number of each of the signs to instigate a one way system round the island (sensible anyway as paths are narrow and close to the water and I believe it may operate that way even in usual times). It would be far more logical to have a ‘keep left’ sign here, but they haven’t for reasons better known to whoever ordered them

What is probably better still is there are two paths up to this bridge and as far as I could see, the paths (like the rest of the park) were a free for all and I nearly bumped into someone as I came off the bridge as our paths crossed!

I think I’d wade through the river as it’s less confusing...

Given it’s only a lake anyway the only real danger would be being taken out by one of the many pedalos racing round it!

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
What utter lunatics are running things in this country?
A question I'm asking myself on a daily basis. Near me, the little hitlers from the council have blocked off some parking bays to widen the pavements to allow people to distance. But it's a few metres here and there - mostly the pavement remains at normal width. People are more likely to twist an ankle whilst jumping on and off the pavement trying to negotiate the whole pointless mess.

My theory is these people were bullied at school and are now on a revenge power trip to bully all of us without engaging their brain first. Looking at the stupid results of their handiwork, I suppose we should be grateful that they went into local government and not air traffic control.

Crossover

Established Member
People are more likely to twist an ankle whilst jumping on and off the pavement trying to negotiate the whole pointless mess

This reminds me of a conversation I had earlier about being careful not to put something in place that may or may not affect Covid ‘security’ but that creates a new (and potentially bigger) problem!

AdamWW

Established Member
This reminds me of a conversation I had earlier about being careful not to put something in place that may or may not affect Covid ‘security’ but that creates a new (and potentially bigger) problem!

Concentrating on one risk to the exclusion of others isn't of course anything new.

DB

The words knee and jerk spring to mind, as so often demonstrated by our politicians...

Indeed - and from a response I've just had to an email I sent to my MP I get the distinct impression that in the hurry to rush through this masks rule (which the email states serveral times have as one of their intentions to give shoppers 'confidence') they have not really considered the impact on those for whom this will have the reverse effect and made them feel unwanted and excluded, nor have they put any mitigations in place to avert vigilatism.

AJW12

Bit late to this but:

• I've been doing some travelling round the highland ScotRail routes over the past few days and I have found it quite funny how even request stops on the Kyle of L / Wick lines have had signs applied everywhere including which bits of the benches to / to not sit on. I wonder if some of those stations have even seen any visitors since they did that
  • ScotRail again - signs on remote stations saying the waiting shelter is closed. None are roped off - just signs. Don't really get the point when the risk would be low, and if it rains people will just ignore it
  • Many train operators - closing whole carriages to 'ensure social distancing'. Not sure if they still do it but LNER had Coach A (800/801) / Coach B (225) on all services completely out of action. I was also on one of ScotRail's HSTs on Saturday that had both the first class carriage AND the second one locked out. So everyone was squeezed onto 2 coaches
  • Banks using covid-19 as an excuse to operate ridiculously narrow opening times (4 hours a day) - if the queues around banks in West London are anything to by, it's mad they've not extended them yet.
  • At Preston Road tube station there is/was a big sign about using the station toilet 'safely' during Covid-19, I could swear one of the bullet points was one person in the toilet at a time. I wonder if there was an event that made them feel they needed to write that...
  • The one-way system at Kings X. The main entrance is so wide you could put a divider in if necessary but having to do a lap round the station to get in is daft, when the majority of the time it is super quiet

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At Preston Road tube station there is/was a big sign about using the station toilet 'safely' during Covid-19, I could swear one of the bullet points was one person in the toilet at a time. I wonder if there was an event that made them feel they needed to write that...
That sign refers to only one person going in the room at any one time.

BJames

Established Member
  • The one-way system at Kings X. The main entrance is so wide you could put a divider in if necessary but having to do a lap round the station to get in is daft, when the majority of the time it is super quiet
Kings Cross is incredibly annoying to get to the Victoria Line. Didn't let me into the underground at St Pancras so instead I had to go across to Kings Cross, go into the station to follow the one-way system to then come out of the station again and use the furthest entrance.

Finsbury Park's one is ridiculous and I've been using the direct Thameslink to St Pancras from the main station.

Seven Sisters is one way too I think although fortunately this time they've kept the overground interchange open, rather than forcing people to exit the station and walk down the high street like they usually do.

takno

Established Member
Kings Cross is incredibly annoying to get to the Victoria Line. Didn't let me into the underground at St Pancras so instead I had to go across to Kings Cross, go into the station to follow the one-way system to then come out of the station again and use the furthest entrance.

Finsbury Park's one is ridiculous and I've been using the direct Thameslink to St Pancras from the main station.

Seven Sisters is one way too I think although fortunately this time they've kept the overground interchange open, rather than forcing people to exit the station and walk down the high street like they usually do.
To be fair the Victoria line is always a nightmare from kings cross if you follow the signs, and it's probably slightly quicker to cut through the station in the approved way than it is to walk round the outside

Crossover

Established Member
At Preston Road tube station there is/was a big sign about using the station toilet 'safely' during Covid-19, I could swear one of the bullet points was one person in the toilet at a time. I wonder if there was an event that made them feel they needed to write that...

That sign refers to only one person going in the room at any one time.

It is quite common practice at the moment. Visited a few places that operate a one-in one-out policy

Banks using covid-19 as an excuse to operate ridiculously narrow opening times (4 hours a day) - if the queues around banks in West London are anything to by, it's mad they've not extended them yet.

Almost certainly a trial run for more permanent closure in some cases, I reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.