• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Depends on the water bottle design I suppose. Many bottles designed for multiple use (although typically not the double walled designs that are quite popular right now) either have a sports cap or some sort of flip cap to drink. To refill you unscrew the top which avoids such problems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I've seen this pre-COVID. To be fair, people do put the bottle they've gobbed all over touching the tap when filling it, so it is fairly nasty. The notices I saw did indeed ask that you used a cup to fill your bottle if doing that.

If a means of drinking the water is provided (the cones), they are not "not providing access to drinking water". There would be no obligation to allow you to fill your own bottle, nor to even allow you to bring your own bottle onto the premises.

When I worked in Tibbett & Britten many years ago, which was a busy distribution depot, we were not allowed our own drinks or bottles into the warehouse because if someone had say a carton of Ribena and they spilled it on several garments they cause cause hundreds of pounds of stock damage.

There was exceptions - you could have a clear plastic bottle and fill it with fresh water from one of the dozens of water coolers that were dotted around the warehouse floor. This was so employees were not reliant on the small disposable paper cones (there were never any available anyway) every time they visited the water cooler.

I always brought my own water because like you said - many of the workers either stuck their head under the water cooler tap or put their horrible scabby bottles under it. I do believe that water coolers are vital in these type of environments, particularly during the summer months when temperatures were high - but sadly the cleanliness & hygiene standards of a small few ruin it for others.

I seem to remember the management were very strict about the use of 'clear' bottles and I got pulled up on one occasion because I used a red cycling bottle - they couldn't see what the content was. I then ended up just buying multi packs of mineral water that are packaged in clear disposal bottles anyway.

On that note, there was one bloke who worked in the place who drank neat vodka out of his clear plastic bottle!!!

CJ

DB

A local educational establishment has plastered its car park with signs saying that only reverse parking is allows (with a handy diagram, just in case anyone didn't understand).
I assume the "logic" is that no two drivers will then get out the same side? Clearly they've not considered passengers, or the basic point that people will normally wait for the person in the next car to get out of the way anyway...

AdamWW

Established Member
A local educational establishment has plastered its car park with signs saying that only reverse parking is allows (with a handy diagram, just in case anyone didn't understand).
I assume the "logic" is that no two drivers will then get out the same side? Clearly they've not considered passengers, or the basic point that people will normally wait for the person in the next car to get out of the way anyway...

Maybe while they were doing their risk assessments for Covid they thought they'd include this one too.

Some companies were hot on this pre-Covid as a risk reduction policy.

As a Covid response I'd put it up there with some of the more interesting Welsh transport guidance (no running for buses or talking on a mobile phone).

trebor79

Established Member
Went into my local town yesterday to return some garments that my wife had ordered online. Since the proper post office closed a few years ago, it's a couple of counters at the back of a newsagent/convenience store with attached Subway.
So I go in the shop, there are arrows with "Please wait here" every 2m pointing towards the Post Office counter. so I wait behind the one person being served. Then it's my turn, I approach the counter and say "Hello".
"Have you just come straight in? There is a queue you know?"
"Erm, I've just come in off the street. There's nobody else waiting?"
"There's a queue outside"
"No, there isn't. There's nobody waiting outside and nobody waiting inside"
She shouts to one of the shop workers "Is there anyone outside?". He sticks his head out of the fire door which I now notice is propped open, says no, and she deigns to serve me whilst ranting at me about not followng the system. I pleaded again that I had followed the arrows "They're for the shop, for social distancing". Completely absurd given they pointed toward the PO counter and away from the shop till points. In the end I just rolled my eyes, shook my head and walked away. When I got outside, I looked around for any clue as to what I should have done. At the end of the row of buildings (PO/shop in the middle) was a tiny sign, which you couldn't read from the shop entrance "Post Office this way" pointing down a gravel track that leads round the back of the buildings and presumably some sort of queue outside the propped open fire door.

Next time I'll just use the village shop Post Office. Just have to hope the lady running it hasn't decided it's her lunch break - any request for stamps, parcel collection or drop off is met with "Post Office closed for lunch".

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I've seen this pre-COVID. To be fair, people do put the bottle they've gobbed all over touching the tap when filling it, so it is fairly nasty. The notices I saw did indeed ask that you used a cup to fill your bottle if doing that.

If a means of drinking the water is provided (the cones), they are not "not providing access to drinking water". There would be no obligation to allow you to fill your own bottle, nor to even allow you to bring your own bottle onto the premises.
They threatened to disconnect the apparatus if the rules are not followed

AdamWW

Established Member
Went into my local town yesterday to return some garments that my wife had ordered online. Since the proper post office closed a few years ago, it's a couple of counters at the back of a newsagent/convenience store with attached Subway.
So I go in the shop, there are arrows with "Please wait here" every 2m pointing towards the Post Office counter. so I wait behind the one person being served. Then it's my turn, I approach the counter and say "Hello".
"Have you just come straight in? There is a queue you know?"
"Erm, I've just come in off the street. There's nobody else waiting?"
"There's a queue outside"
"No, there isn't. There's nobody waiting outside and nobody waiting inside"
She shouts to one of the shop workers "Is there anyone outside?". He sticks his head out of the fire door which I now notice is propped open, says no, and she deigns to serve me whilst ranting at me about not followng the system. I pleaded again that I had followed the arrows "They're for the shop, for social distancing". Completely absurd given they pointed toward the PO counter and away from the shop till points. In the end I just rolled my eyes, shook my head and walked away. When I got outside, I looked around for any clue as to what I should have done. At the end of the row of buildings (PO/shop in the middle) was a tiny sign, which you couldn't read from the shop entrance "Post Office this way" pointing down a gravel track that leads round the back of the buildings and presumably some sort of queue outside the propped open fire door.

Next time I'll just use the village shop Post Office. Just have to hope the lady running it hasn't decided it's her lunch break - any request for stamps, parcel collection or drop off is met with "Post Office closed for lunch".

At least she didn't say "If one more person tells me that the signs are confusing I'm going to lose my temper" (as I was once told)

talldave

Established Member
At least she didn't say "If one more person tells me that the signs are confusing I'm going to lose my temper" (as I was once told)
My "Post Office at the back of a newsagents" has very clear signs for where to queue. But the post box is accessed freely within the shop without the need to queue. So turning up with items all sporting prepaid online postage labels causes endless dagger looks from those queuing as you walk straight past the queue! They've done the best they can in the circumstances, but come winter the long queue down the street could get interesting.

AdamWW

Established Member
That's like the classic "You're the 10th person I've told today, we don't stock X because there's no demand for it!"

I was waiting for someone to say that. (Which I've never heard in real life. But I did hear the one about signs...actually now I think about it it's happened to me twice...)

Ostrich

Last Saturday, 1st August, the first pre-season football fixtures were played as part of the FA's Guidelines for the return of Grassroots Football:
Clubs from Steps 1 (i.e. Woking, Wealdstone) to Steps 6 (i.e, Warminster, Westbury) were told that they must not allow spectators, but there was no such restriction on County League level clubs.

So it turns out that where Clubs at Step 7 and below hosted friendlies, there were a small number of cases where the crowd exceeded 100. The FA has now panicked and sent an email to County FAs telling them to inform their Step 7 clubs that they cannot host spectators, and neither can any friendly scheduled to be played on a Step 7 ground (including, for example, the club's reserves or ladies teams) accommodate fans either.

At the match I attended on Saturday, everything was done by the book. Organisation was top rate. Hand sanitisers available and encouraged, signing-in for Track and Trace (which included a disclaimer that the Club wasn't responsible if I contracted Covid there). The attendance was just over 30. Social distancing on the touchline was absolutely no problem. It was outdoors anyway. Now such games are banned to spectators for the foreseeable future.

They allow hundreds of holidaymakers to pack into trains and head for Brighton Beach - yet people can't stand outdoors round a touchline? I'm beginning to lose track of reality these days .... :s

trebor79

Established Member
They allow hundreds of holidaymakers to pack into trains and head for Brighton Beach - yet people can't stand outdoors round a touchline? I'm beginning to lose track of reality these days .... :s
The whole thing is absolutely absurd. I'm not sure anybody is clear on what is and isn't meant to be happening any longer. A friend told my wife that a pub where they live has closed because on of the staff has contracted COVID, but they haven't collected any track and trace information so can't call any of the punters. My wife expressed surprise/outrage they hadn't collected the information and was amazed when I told her they weren't obliged to, it was merely one of the measures the government has asked businesses to consider.
I also can't understand the ongoing obsession with attempting to social distance on (some) train services and limiting the numbers travelling when there are no such impediments to air travel, or indeed other train operators. Why are LNER limiting passenger numbers to just a fraction of capacity whilst it's perfectly OK for SWR services to be full and standing? The whole thing is an absolute farce.

Really I think we'd have been better off just sticking to a hard lockdown for another few weeks, invested the money spent on the national T&T system into local initiatives (which lo and behold seem to be working far better than the outsourced national system) and then just reopening and rely on a very good T&T operation to keep numbers manageable. New Zealand is the most obvious example that such an approach works.
Instead we're in a no mans land where numbers aren't low enough to allow full reopening without overwhelming even a good T&T system (that we haven't yet got anyway), but not high enough to justify another lockdown. Instead we have businesses and government floundering around doing things that they think might help (whether that be lower infection rates or encourage people to spend money) with no coherent strategy and very poor communication from government.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Eurostar have today in a tweet advised a customer that Covid is to blame for a lack of WiFi in standard class.

Howardh

Established Member
Running East Coastway
Thanks. Wonder how many pax have climbed on board thinking "should I be on this train...??"! For someone like myself, a foriegner down there, I'd certainly worry!

Darandio

Established Member
Our local council are currently involved in a corker, taking away a whole section of an open public recreational area and erecting around 350m of high fencing so it can only be used by pub teams on a Sunday morning. Not temporary fencing either, full blown stuff at considerable expense, all so the great unwashed cannot touch the same blades of grass that a bunch of hungover* blokes will be playing on.

*We were all hungover when I played Sunday morning football for 10 years, cannot see why they still wouldn't be now. :D

Well it seems they went much more over the top with this than I thought. They haven't fenced off one part of a public recreation field, they've fenced off much more. All in all nearly 600m of brand new high fencing to make some recreational fields covid-safe for a Sunday morning pub league.

FIELD.jpg

farleigh

Thanks. Wonder how many pax have climbed on board thinking "should I be on this train...??"! For someone like myself, a foriegner down there, I'd certainly worry!
Yes it is quite unsettling to see the red train running across Pevensey marshes. I guess it is to keep them running??

joncombe

At Bothwell services on the M74 the wooden benches outside on the grass alongside the car park now have signs on them telling you if you sit on them for more than 15 minutes you must register with the Track and Protect system. Not sure if all services in Scotland are doing this or just this one, but I can't imagine staff are going to be watching all the benches outside with a camera to check if you sit for more than 15 minutes.

DB

At Bothwell services on the M74 the wooden benches outside on the grass alongside the car park now have signs on them telling you if you sit on them for more than 15 minutes you must register with the Track and Protect system. Not sure if all services in Scotland are doing this or just this one, but I can't imagine staff are going to be watching all the benches outside with a camera to check if you sit for more than 15 minutes.

Make sure you leave after 14 minutes and you'll be OK!

Of course, if you lose track of time and stay for 16 then you're almost certain to catch it (even if there's nobody else anywhere near)...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

To which I say, just play along with it. If you are on your own on a bench 2m from others, if T&T rings up you just tell them that and they will tell you you don't need to isolate.

trebor79

Established Member
To which I say, just play along with it. If you are on your own on a bench 2m from others, if T&T rings up you just tell them that and they will tell you you don't need to isolate.
Or just ignore it for the nonsense that it is.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Or just ignore it for the nonsense that it is.

Track and trace is not "nonsense", it is one of the best tools against serious diseases going (if done properly, and there have been some good moves the right way today in moving it to local authorities, allowing it to be more investigative based on local knowledge and not just a "phone a friend service"). The usual whiners will call me "authoritarian", but this is precisely the sort of thing that requires stronger enforcement to keep everyone safe.

Please, everyone, play along with T&T and allow us to avoid stronger legislation and more lockdowns. It's important.

adc82140

Established Member
No one is calling T&T nonsense. However the way I read it they are calling the need to register for T&T when you're sat on a bench outside for more than 14 minutes nonsense.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No one is calling T&T nonsense. However the way I read it they are calling the need to register for T&T when you're sat on a bench outside for more than 14 minutes nonsense.

It's perhaps a bit "de minimis", but it probably legally sits with a beer garden in terms of the legal position as it's on private land.

takno

Established Member
I'd want a badge that said "I sat on the wooden benches outside Bothwell Services for more than 15 minutes and all I got was this lousy badge".

If I learned nothing else from the Dennis-the-Menace fanclub (and I didn't) then i at least learned that you should get a badge in return for sharing your personal details.

Status
Not open for further replies.