• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
Footballers must not hug or high-five in celebration, yet two groups of sweaty men can link arms, lock shoulders and form a scrum ?
More ridiculous inconsistencies from the government!

Could always give them "bubbles" to be in... wait I better not suggest this.... its way to sci-fi to think of!

On the other it just proves more to the point its being made up as it goes along.

https://www.designboom.com/technolo...otective-environment-designlibero-04-21-2020/ umm nah!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
But football is a bit of an escape from all this - I'm certainly watching more than I usually do, beyond my own teams. It's bad enough seeing the empty stadiums; if the players are banned from showing joy too, then we might as well just give up.
This I completely agree with. Football is one of the things I look forward to at the weekend just now, as there’s not much else.
I think the frustration is for people like my brother. Despite the grassroots team he plays for following all the guidelines, they’re unable to play, whilst the top teams seem to be able to do what they want. (Cough cough...Celtic...cough cough :D)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Can you imagine how they are going to "police" celebrations!! I can't think how, has to be retrospectively. Will there be VAR on how close they stood to each other just for the celebration but then two seconds later in open play its fine.

Honestly I don't know who is worse the people that start these things or the ones who blindly jump on it and when you point out the stupidity of it just double down on it. They walk amongst us...

duncanp

Established Member
And now the government are trying to dissuade people from buying takeaway coffee, as apparently it "...costs lives..."

This has got to be one of the most emotive load of cobblers I have seen.

The article (from the Daily Telegraph live feed) also says that the Government "..eyes tougher restrictions amid a surge in infections..."

Haven't they noticed that infections have plateaued over the past few days and are starting to fall.

Take-away coffee to be targeted in new Covid campaign
Dramatic language could be used in hard-hitting new anti-coronavirus adverts, warning that going for a coffee could kill.
A national campaign is to be unveiled within days as the Government eyes tougher restrictions amid a surge in infections.
One of the slogans being considered is "Don't let a coffee cost a life", it is believed.
Another message in the campaign is "Covid takes the train too".
The move is aimed at presenting a stark message to the public to try to ensure compliance with tough lockdown measures as Britain battles mutant strains of the disease.

kez19

Established Member
And now the government are trying to dissuade people from buying takeaway coffee, as apparently it "...costs lives..."

The article (from the Daily Telegraph live feed) also says that the Government "..eyes tougher restrictions amid a surge in infections..."

Haven't they noticed that infections have plateaued over the past few days and are starting to fall.

God above ...no! (Where is the science in this line of thinking? Or is just more scaremongering?)

So much for building confidence back in the economy so we now can’t takeaway coffee or board a train (transport) how much BS can the public take?

Does seem they all want to crash everything in the economy than recover it (grabs bacofoil)

I’ll see Sturgeon eyeing this all up next week but still on the other I bet the MPs will still go for their takeaway coffees or trains?

roversfan2001

Established Member
I'm not sure what's worse; the fact that the government are resorting to such blatant scaremongering, or the fact that a significant portion of the population will fall hook, line and sinker to it and start brandishing Starbucks employees as murderers.

Ostrich

Footballers must not hug or high-five in celebration, yet two groups of sweaty men can link arms, lock shoulders and form a scrum ?
More ridiculous inconsistencies from the government!
When proper grassroots football resumed at the beginning of last August - I am referring to County Leagues and below - there were plenty of special measures imposed by the FA such as no goal celebrations, regular ball sanitisation, spectators not to retrieve the ball from behind the holly thicket, so on. All eminently reasonable, given the circumstances. In my experience as a groundhopper (football equivalent of an anorak ;)), though, there has been a gradual drift back towards life as it was, especially the ignoring by spectators of social distancing guidelines.

With regard to grassroots rugby union, there were plans to gradually reintroduce the sport from September, with certain modifications like no scrums and a reduced number of players on a team (rugby league, anyone? :E) but the reoccurring Covid outbreaks effectively put paid to that and the current season, certainly in my regional area, has now been cancelled.

Elite football and elite rugby union are another planet entirely.

birchesgreen

Established Member
"Covid takes the train too"

Most people taking public transport are doing it because they have to. They're already stressed and anxious enough as it is without this criminally insane slogan being hurled at them.

duncanp

Established Member
God above ...no! (Where is the science in this line of thinking? Or is just more scaremongering?)

So much for building confidence back in the economy so we now can’t takeaway coffee or board a train (transport) how much BS can the public take?

Does seem they all want to crash everything in the economy than recover it (grabs bacofoil)

I’ll see Sturgeon eyeing this all up next week but still on the other I bet the MPs will still go for their takeaway coffees or trains?

The more emotive and far fetched the scaremongering is, the less likely people are to believe it.

I think all the UK governments realise that people have just had enough of all this nonsense, and are trying ever more elaborate scare stories in order to try and keep the lockdown going.

How the hell can a takeaway coffee cost a life anyway?

102 fan

Most people taking public transport are doing it because they have to. They're already stressed and anxious enough as it is without this criminally insane slogan being hurled at them.

And yet the majority seem to accept the BS. It depresses me how so many can accept all this without asking questions. I've stopped watching the News, from any broadcaster. Not one journalist ever questions government action, just as none will question the slogans we're talking about.

mralexn

And yet the majority seem to accept the BS. It depresses me how so many can accept all this without asking questions. I've stopped watching the News, from any broadcaster. Not one journalist ever questions government action, just as none will question the slogans we're talking about.
Watch TalkRadio, they certainly question the current narrative.

brick60000

Oh dear.

Having just finished a university piece of coursework about current transport messaging & ways that the industry needs to build ridership back, this definitely did not feature...

Our government really is putting in yet more nails into an ever-growing coffin for public transport.

kez19

Established Member
The more emotive and far fetched the scaremongering is, the less likely people are to believe it.

I think all the UK governments realise that people have just had enough of all this nonsense, and are trying ever more elaborate scare stories in order to try and keep the lockdown going.

How the hell can a takeaway coffee cost a life anyway?

I just clicked the train must be a dig at Margaret Ferrier!

I have takeaway coffee sometimes but didn’t know it cost a life since well I mask up to go indoors at a supermarket (you know the place where it spreads)

Yes just like watching both UK and Scottish Governments ads, laughable but still let’s roll with, they’ll be comedy gold in a few years time!

Remember FACTS/hands face space

If they wanted to say in short COVID is everywhere (well duh!)

py_megapixel

Established Member
Takeaway coffee may be costing lives, but it's through the harmful pollution and worker exploitation involved in its supply chain and the irresponsible disposal of the packaging, not through Covid...

kez19

Established Member

I press mute if it comes to news or just avoid it.

As for people taking everything word for word what you expect the media have helped in this, they have pushed this but anyone questioning it is nuts or a conspiracy theorist (let alone if you don’t follow any of it but have an open mind)

Takeaway coffee may be costing lives, but it's through the harmful pollution and worker exploitation involved in its supply chain and the irresponsible disposal of the packaging, not through Covid...

Governments messaging has turned it up a notch

Cdd89

Established Member

I wonder how many deaths will be directly attributable to people shifting away from public transport and toward riskier modes like driving.

When people were terrified of flying and drove instead during 9/11 (2001-2002), 1595 net additional deaths in the US were attributable to this switch in mode (based on research by Gird Gigerenzer). And all because no politician ever saw fit to emphasise that public transport is overall far safer than driving.

Looks like we are not just repeating, but amplifying, past mistakes - with government spokespeople going out of their way to suggest that public transport is dangerous.

I wonder how many deaths will be directly attributable to people shifting away from public transport and toward riskier modes like driving.

When people were terrified of flying and drove instead during 9/11 (2001-2002), 1595 net additional deaths in the US were attributable to this switch in mode (based on research by Gird Gigerenzer). And all because no politician ever saw fit to emphasise that public transport is overall far safer than driving.

Looks like we are not just repeating, but amplifying, past mistakes - with government spokespeople going out of their way to suggest that public transport is dangerous.

There was a suggestion that the modal shift from rail to road due to the widespread restrictions after the Hatfield crash was likely to cause more fatalities than the crash itself.
The SRA argued that it would be safer to remove the speed restrictions and have passengers return to rail than keep them and have travellers use road travel which is statistically several times more dangerous

island

Veteran Member
The safe travel corridors are being abolished from Monday. Nice to know anyone arriving in from Covid-free New Zealand (etc.) will need a test and 10 days self-isolation.

Andyh82

Established Member
On Question Time last night, someone criticised the current lockdown saying it didn’t feel like a proper lockdown because amongst other things, coffee shops were open, and that the government should lock down harder. There wasn’t any notable criticism of this stance.

I’m guessing this is where this has come from.

kez19

Established Member
On Question Time last night, someone criticised the current lockdown saying it didn’t feel like a proper lockdown because amongst other things, coffee shops were open, and that the government should lock down harder. There wasn’t any notable criticism of this stance.

Is Question Time still going? It’s a programme I rarely watch!

bramling

Veteran Member

I’m guessing this is where this has come from.

I saw a road rage incident on my way in today, someone in a car was shouting “get to work” to a group of cyclists. It doesn’t really feel like a lockdown, and it’s gradually getting busier even from the not particularly low base this latest one started from.

I’m not surprised those who are trudging to work every day are mightily sick of seeing people spending their time lounging around, especially when this gets in the way. I’m certainly picking up a feeling of utter fury about this.

Some of the roads round here are busier than they would be on a normal weekday during the late morning, midday and afternoon - especially these last few days when it’s clear due to the rainy weather a lot of people have decided to take the car for a jaunt instead of going for a walk or cycle.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I saw a road rage incident on my way in today, someone in a car was shouting “get to work” to a group of cyclists. It doesn’t really feel like a lockdown, and it’s gradually getting busier even from the not particularly low base this latest one started from.

I’m not surprised those who are trudging to work every day are mightily sick of seeing people spending their time lounging around, especially when this gets in the way. I’m certainly picking up a feeling of utter fury about this.

Some of the roads round here are busier than they would be on a normal weekday during the late morning, midday and afternoon - especially these last few days when it’s clear a lot of people have decided to take the car for a jaunt instead of going for a walk or cycle.
I go into work because I'd rather be there than work from home. Only have to do two days but better for my wellbeing going into work so afraid I'm one of those contributing to traffic. I'm not the only one at work doing that, there are plenty of others.

bramling

Veteran Member
I go into work because I'd rather be there than work from home. Only have to do two days but better for my wellbeing going into work so afraid I'm one of those contributing to traffic. I'm not the only one at work doing that, there are plenty of others.

I don’t think anyone would have any issue there. However I can see why there’s irritation directed at the number of leisure cyclists on the roads at the moment.

I’m trending more towards the train as generally rail travel is a dream at the moment (and at the times I travel masks aren’t really an issue). However if the service is ramped down then this may well have to change to car like it did from April to July last year. Likewise if I start to find being hassled over masks too much of a nuisance.

DB

I’m trending more towards the train as generally rail travel is a dream at the moment (and at the times I travel masks aren’t really an issue). However if the service is ramped down then this may well have to change to car like it did from April to July last year. Likewise if I start to find being hassled over masks too much of a nuisance.

Average in the past few weeks in Yorkshire seems to be 2 people per carriage.

Notable increase in the drivel over the PA system about masks and all the rest of it, along with sneery comments about people committing the unforgivable crime of sitting in an aisle seat (the announcement was something like "some people don't seem to understand this simple instruction", then went on to say what terrible people they were, putting staff and anyone else walking down the carriage at huge risk).

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Average in the past few weeks in Yorkshire seems to be 2 people per carriage.

Notable increase in the drivel over the PA system about masks and all the rest of it, along with sneery comments about people committing the unforgivable crime of sitting in an aisle seat (the announcement was something like "some people don't seem to understand this simple instruction", then went on to say what terrible people they were, putting staff and anyone else walking down the carriage at huge risk).
I suddenly realised on a Thameslink train the other day that the announcements about masks and exemptions are followed by ‘always follow the latest government advice when travelling’.
A cynic might say that wording was designed to cover a long period of restrictions and ever-changing rules, to avoid the need to constantly change the message

philosopher

Established Member
I went to Starbucks today to buy a takeaway coffee near where I live in London. Up until last week it was relatively normal. However today they had resorted to serving everyone from the doorway which had a table with a plastic shield on it.

When I handed over my card they wrapped it in a tissue and took it to the actual counter inside the store where the card machine and coffee machine were and then they ferried me the coffee and card back to me.

Established Member
I went to Starbucks today to buy a takeaway coffee near where I live in London. Up until last week it was relatively normal. However today they had resorted to serving everyone from the doorway which had a table with a plastic shield on it.

When I handed over my card they wrapped it in a tissue and took it to the actual counter inside the store where the card machine and coffee machine were and then they ferried me the coffee and card back to me.
Welcome to the nonsense we have to endure at every takeaway and cafe that's still open up here.

py_megapixel

Established Member

If your card isn't contactless, do they insist that you read out your PIN so they can type it in?? /s

Scotrail12

Greggs have shut in Scotland completely now that Sturgeon made the silly rule that takeaways must serve from a hatch/doorway. An inane rule that makes no difference to transmission but means that some companies just won't bother (where do I get lunch now?).

It's been like that at some Starbucks branches for a while and also was back in May while lockdown was gradually being lifted - I think they decided to go completely that way earlier in the week across the UK when Sturgeon announced her changes to the lockdown. A bit OTT and unnecessary if you're in England anyway.

DB

Greggs have shut in Scotland completely now that Sturgeon made the silly rule that takeaways must serve from a hatch/doorway. An inane rule that makes no difference to transmission but means that some companies just won't bother (where do I get lunch now?).

So at a time of year when it's freezing cold and quite probably snowing or raining, retailers have decided that they don't want to stand in an open doorway - who would have thought it?

Clearly yet another case of doing something to be seen to be doing something so that they can claim that they are "getting tough on the virus" and similar. It's pathetic, and there will never be any satisfying of those who scream for restrictions - as soon as they get what they want over one issue they will move on to their next demand. Probably doesn't affect them anyway as they will be at home hiding behind the sofa and avoiding that terrifying big wide world out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.