• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Ivo

Established Member
N.B.: For anyone unfamiliar with Name the Station, this thread - specifically this post - is the source of the Quiz Forum legend "Twerp".

In most cases stations must be named correctly; where a station is deemed correct but more than one instance of said station exists with no obvious disambiguation exists, the Rainham Rule (relating to the link post; read the next few pages for a clarification) applies. However, use of the word "Twerp" is accepted and in fact usually insisted upon as a substitute for Thorpe Bay.

RULES FINALISED Please see Post #908 for details

I've just devised this game, but its rules are a little complicated so bear with me.

The idea is that the person whose turn it is has to think of a station that can be identified from a set of ambigious clues. The clues must get progressively easier as each turn progresses, until five clues have been given.

For London Waterloo for instance:

(1) I am in the former Network South East area (not very helpful at all)
(2) I am served exclusively by South West Trains (better but still pretty hopeless)
(3) Class 455s can be seen in service here (reasonable)
(4) I am also served by plentiful longer-distance stock (one of a few now)
(5) I am managed by Network Rail (can only be Waterloo)

After each clue, the clue setter may accept only the first answer posted. So if, after the first clue, someone said Ascot, he would be deemed to be incorrect and the second clue would be given. If however someone also said Dover Priory before the second clue was given, but after Ascot had been suggested, it would be ignored (you are encouraged to strikethrough but not delete such suggestions). Try to anticipate what the next clue might be to minimise the possibility of "wasting" of a clue! For the Moderators, if you intend to delete incorrect answers please wait until the round is over!

Points are awarded for correct answers. If you get it right at the first time of asking, i.e. after only one clue, you score 15 points. If you get it after two clues, you score 10, then 6, then 3, and then finally 1. If someone then gets it wrong with all five clues available, and the clues are judged to have been reasonable, the clue setter scores a bonus 6 points. I will keep a record of points scoring. Please ensure that the clues you set do genuinely become easier as the round progresses, to the point that the last clue should limit the number of stations to literally a couple of possibilities!

If you have any queries, don't hesitate to contact me! Note however that my access will be limited during the next 48 hours...

And lastly, please be honest! If someone guesses your station at the first time of asking, own up to it! Don't deliberately change your station to make it harder.

Anyhow, let's get the game started!

(1) I am served by London Midland

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Birmingham Moor Street is correct! This means that gnolife scores three points. Your floor :)

Make sure the clues become more obvious as we go along, starting with something fairly (but not massively) obscure and finishing with something obvious.

gnolife

Established Member
It isn't Chester-le-Street

All services by 1 of the TOCs via this station call, with Northern missing one (Clue 4)

gnolife

Established Member
It isn't Heald Green.

It is served by at least one DB Arriva owned TOC. (Clue 5)

Ivo

Established Member
What happens now is you declare the station at hand and I decide if the clues were fair. If they were, you win 6 points (the equivalent of a three-clue answer). If not, the round starts again.

By the time we got to Clue 5 we should have been looking at "this station is served by Grand Central" rather than "at least one DB TOC".

Ivo

Established Member
Oh.

I thought hard about Wilmslow, but I thought it was managed by Virgin! That certainly passes in my book, thinking about it now. You win six points, and go again.

Essentially, every time we reach the end of a game without a winner, the clue setter goes again. Whether (s)he scores for it though is another matter.

Ivo

Established Member
This is the last one I'm doing before bed. If I win, open floor. In such an event please make sure only one game is active at a time!

Aylesbury