• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Temple Meads

Established Member
Not Avonmouth either.

4) This station mainly has a 2 hourly service in each direction on weekdays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I have revised the time rule to state the following:

If you win the floor but will not be available to assume it, in the interests of game flow please declare an open floor! Anyone who claims the floor, even if they won the previous round, and then abandons his floor will forfeit the round and the floor shall be open. This is judged according to the time taken to respond by the clue setter and the first response; except between the hours of 2300 and 0700, in which case the time is set to 1000, first responses to guesses must be provided within three hours. In all other cases, this is extended to 12 hours; however, repeated instances of extended waits from the same player in the same round (for example two periods of eight hours) may also be adjudged unreasonable, again resulting in a forfeit. This rule will however be kept under active review.

I will write a rulesheet and will provide a link to it in my signature when done. Once uploaded, it will be the Official Rule Set.

Robinson

Not sure I understand that. Is this referring to the time a player takes to provide a clue, or the time players take to make the first guess at a clue?
Speaking for myself, I often feel awkward about providing a new clue if there have been no guesses at the previous one (especially if people have not actually been viewing the thread in that time).

Ivo

Established Member
It's supposed to be in reference to the time taken after any player has guessed. It wouldn't be fair to penalise someone because no-one's been around!

Hopefully the rule sheet, when finished, will make this clearer. There are at least seven sections to it! :shock:

Also, I have introduced a sixth penalty: Making more than one guess after any one clue (-3). Only the first guess may be accepted.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Please take a moment to read the rules stipulated in the attached document.

These rules shall be used as the official rules for the game with immediate effect.

Note that these Rules have been slightly revised as indicated in Post #948.

---------------

It has become apparent that a trend started by clagmonster involving the use of Scrabble has become quite popular, especially in the case of the fourth clue in any given round. As such, to make the game a little fairer, here is a complete list of letters and their respective Scrabble scores.

A=1 B=3 C=3 D=2 E=1 F=4 G=2 H=4 I=1 J=8 K=5 L=1 M=3 N=1 O=1 P=3 Q=10 R=1 S=1 T=1 U=1 V=4 W=4 X=8 Y=4 Z=10

EDIT, June 24th: Please find attached a list of stations (based on 2010-11 usage data) and their respective Scrabble scores.

THIS SYSTEM IS NOT PERFECT. Stations whose names are not shown by their exact name will have incorrect scores (barring a very unlikely match). Players use this system at their own risk and no discussion will be entered into if a player is penalised for using this system and coming to an incorrect conclusion as a result, or for any errors that may be contained in this system. This information is only available in .xlsx format due to file size issues.

---------------

In June, clues involving Routeing Guide maps became (or have become) popular. Here is the official Routeing Guide map set.

Attachments

• Name the Station RULES.pdf
    110.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Station Scrabble Points, A-L.xlsx
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • Station Scrabble Points, M-Z.xlsx
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

dzug2

Cam & Dursley appears to be hourly, though (at least in the Bristol direction)...

Mostly hourly in both directions - the two hourly is the continuation from Gloucester northwards to (generally) Worcester

andrew bell

I have just looked at the Live Departure Board for Cam & Dursley and it it an hourly service in each direction so I feel clue 4 was a complete red herring and should therefore not been given

Temple Meads

Established Member
Yes, I'll hold my hands up to that, I think I was getting mixed up with Ashchurch for Tewkesbury..

Robinson

If I've just got the floor, then I'm giving it up as an open floor as I can't guarantee my availability for the rest of today.

dzug2

Well with some trepidation I'll give it a try

Clue 1 This station has four platforms

dzug2

None right so far

clue 2 - the line on which this station is situated is electrified

dzug2

Clue 3 This station has a slighly unusual pronunciation - to be specific, one letter as spelt is omitted when saying the name

dzug2

clue 4

This station once had a bus service to a nearby tourist attraction, but it runs no more. Said tourist attraction had (and indeed still has, albeit more tenuously) connections with Tavistock.

Welshman

Established Member
Flitwick.
Tourist attraction is Woburn Abbey.
The Duke of Bedford's son is Marquess of Tavistock.

Welshman

Established Member
Clue 1

This station now has just two platforms, but used to have a bay.

Last edited: