• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The New 16-17 Saver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Doesn’t it say that the Railcard can be used on cross border services. So Carlisle to Glasgow is fine but Lockerbie to Glasgow won’t be.

That said I wonder if it’ll be barred to Scotrail and CS services or flows prices by them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Doesn’t it say that the Railcard can be used on cross border services. So Carlisle to Glasgow is fine but Lockerbie to Glasgow won’t be.

That said I wonder if it’ll be barred to Scotrail and CS services or flows prices by them?

Is it not that they can't be used on ScotRail or Cal Sleeper, so surely Lockerbie to Glasgow is fine as you can use TPE to Glasgow?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good point. It’s not clear whether it validity on TOCs or who prices a particular flow although I doubt there’s much in the way of anomalies.

alistairlees

Established Member
The definition on the website is that it can't be used on "ScotRail and Caledonian Sleeper services". So presumably restrictions are driven by who is the operator, not who is the fare setter or what the geography is (though I haven't checked).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's valid on non Scottish based TOCs within Scotland.

Are you saying that an Any Permitted ticket from, say, Edinburgh to Aberdeen can be discounted with a 16-17 Saver and used on LNER and XC services but not Scotrail.

If so, that’s going to be fun.....

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Are you saying that an Any Permitted ticket from, say, Edinburgh to Aberdeen can be discounted with a 16-17 Saver and used on LNER and XC services but not Scotrail.

If so, that’s going to be fun.....
You may need a LNER only or XC only routed ticket , it specifically does not say not valid in Scotland . It does say however not valid on ScotRail or Caledonian Sleeper tickets.

The 16-17 Saver discount cannot be used on:
• Caledonian Sleeper tickets
• ScotRail tickets
• Eurostar tickets
• First Class fares
• Some Train Company specific promotional offers
• Tickets for special excursion or Charter trains, and some coach/bus links including RailAir services
• Most London Underground and Docklands Light Railway tickets
• Oyster pay as you go daily price cap and pay as you go single fares for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway
• London Day Travelcard and Travelcard Seasons within Zones 1-9 (except when they are bought as part of a ticket to London from outside London Zones 1-9).

Although helpfully the 16-17 Saver website changes the wording slightly

Tickets for travel on ScotRail services

Tickets for travel on Caledonian Sleeper services

Eurostar tickets

First Class tickets

Some Train Company specific promotional offers
Oyster pay as you go daily price cap and pay as you go single fares for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway
London Day Travelcards and Travelcard Season tickets within Zones 1-9 (except when they are bought as part of a ticket to London from outside London Zones 1-9)
Tickets wholly for travel on London Underground and Docklands Light Railway
Tickets for special excursion or Charter trains and some coach/bus links, including Railair services

daniel1234321

I have a 16+ Oyster Card. Do you think it would be worthwhile buying a 16-25 Railcard in addition to the 16/17 saver in order to get 1/3 off Oyster Fares? Can you link 16-25 railcards to reduced rate oyster cards to get a double discount?

Clip

Established Member
I have a 16+ Oyster Card. Do you think it would be worthwhile buying a 16-25 Railcard in addition to the 16/17 saver in order to get 1/3 off Oyster Fares? Can you link 16-25 railcards to reduced rate oyster cards to get a double discount?

I doubt there is any chance of getting a double discount - the Zip card is very generous as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In a word, no.

The 16+ Oyster already gives you 50% off adult fares so you can't link a railcard to get more. If you're eligible for the 16-17 Saver then there's probably no point getting the 16-25 railcard unless you're in Scotland.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You may need a LNER only or XC only routed ticket , it specifically does not say not valid in Scotland . It does say however not valid on ScotRail or Caledonian Sleeper tickets.

The 16-17 Saver discount cannot be used on:
• Caledonian Sleeper tickets
• ScotRail tickets
• Eurostar tickets
• First Class fares
• Some Train Company specific promotional offers
• Tickets for special excursion or Charter trains, and some coach/bus links including RailAir services
• Most London Underground and Docklands Light Railway tickets
• Oyster pay as you go daily price cap and pay as you go single fares for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway
• London Day Travelcard and Travelcard Seasons within Zones 1-9 (except when they are bought as part of a ticket to London from outside London Zones 1-9).

Although helpfully the 16-17 Saver website changes the wording slightly

Tickets for travel on ScotRail services

Tickets for travel on Caledonian Sleeper services

Eurostar tickets

First Class tickets

Some Train Company specific promotional offers
Oyster pay as you go daily price cap and pay as you go single fares for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway
London Day Travelcards and Travelcard Season tickets within Zones 1-9 (except when they are bought as part of a ticket to London from outside London Zones 1-9)
Tickets wholly for travel on London Underground and Docklands Light Railway
Tickets for special excursion or Charter trains and some coach/bus links, including Railair services

It’s going to be a mess! So in Scotland if there’s an XC or LNER only ticket you can get a discount, but not if you use an Any Permitted only ticket.

I suspect it’ll end up being implemented like the Gold Card discount is on Virgin and LNER.

roversfan2001

Established Member
The rule that it's only vaild until your 18th birthday is pretty stupid*, no other age-based railcard has that restiction does it?

*as someone who turns 18 during the period between the railcard going on sale and being available for use, my opinion on this may be slightly biased :lol:

samuelmorris

Established Member
The rule that it's only vaild until your 18th birthday is pretty stupid*, no other age-based railcard has that restiction does it?

*as someone who turns 18 during the period between the railcard going on sale and being available for use, my opinion on this may be slightly biased :lol:
Yes, they all do. You are allowed to buy the railcard until the very last day you are that age, meaning you can get up to 364 days beyond its intended use. I renewed my 16-25 card shortly before I turned 26 and thus was almost 27 by the time it expred. Renew a 16-17 just before you turn 18 and you'll be almost 19 when it expires. That seems very fair to me.

daniel1234321

It's more an extension of child fares than a rail card

daniel1234321

Yes, they all do. You are allowed to buy the railcard until the very last day you are that age, meaning you can get up to 364 days beyond its intended use. I renewed my 16-25 card shortly before I turned 26 and thus was almost 27 by the time it expred. Renew a 16-17 just before you turn 18 and you'll be almost 19 when it expires. That seems very fair to me.
It expires on the day before you turn 18 no matter when you renew it.

daniel1234321

Just bought mine, anyone know why, on the app at least, it says "season ticket valid until 01 Jan 21", but the railcard itself is valid until 01 sep 20?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Just bought mine, anyone know why, on the app at least, it says "season ticket valid until 01 Jan 21", but the railcard itself is valid until 01 sep 20?
Because you can have a season ticket valid for up to 4 months past the Saver expiry date.

Dr Day

Anyone on here know when Transport for Wales are introducing their 'child rate for 16-17 year olds'? This was announced at the launch of the new franchise, but the web page hasn't been updated since and I would expect it to be at the first fares round opportunity ie January 2020. Tried asking official and unofficial channels but not yet received any answer on whether it be applicable on all routes served by TfW, all fares priced by TfW, only valid for travel on TfW train or something else? May make a difference to someone considering purchasing a 16-17 Saver in TfW land...

RJ

Established Member
Had quite a few customers coming to buy 16-17 discounted season tickets and Travelcards. Not possible to sell them as it was impossible to call up the monthly+ season ticket fares for a discount that's not yet active! I was busy plugging the £5 discount on the 16-17 Saver as quite a few people had just bought a 16-25 railcard for commuting purposes.

There may be some queues at some stations on Monday while staff get to grips with what this product is and learn how to apply a TSU discount to a season (there's normally a different process for discounting seasons). However, the morning peak on the first Monday of the month is generally a quiet time at ticket offices so was a good choice of date to introduce the discount!

On a serious note, once the dust settles it should be plain sailing.

Last edited:

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Had quite a few customers coming to buy 16-17 discounted season tickets and Travelcards. Not possible to sell them as it was impossible to call up the monthly+ season ticket fares for a discount that's not yet active! I was busy plugging the £5 discount on the 16-17 Saver as quite a few people had just bought a 16-25 railcard for commuting purposes.

There may be some queues at some stations on Monday while staff get to grips with what this product is and learn how to apply a TSU discount to a season (there's normally a different process for discounting seasons). However, the morning peak on the first Monday of the month is generally a quiet time at ticket offices so was a good choice of date to introduce the discount!

On a serious note, once the dust settles it should be plain sailing.
We've seen a few with JCP so shouldn't be much of a shock

RJ

Established Member
We've seen a few with JCP so shouldn't be much of a shock

No doubt, but I've not issued many seasons with a 'railcard' type discount in 8 years in the job! It has always been concession discounts, except for rare instances of 16+ and 18+ Oyster holders requesting discounted Travelcards on paper. Maybe on other parts of the network they're more common!

Status
Not open for further replies.