• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The New 24!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Just been to Victoria, I noticed that the 24 is now majorly run by these weird looking Enviro Tridents! I think that the curved top at the back makes it look old fashioned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
I could come up with a better bus then that with a pen stuck up my arse....:violent3:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hate buses, but that looks very nice :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was on the 24 on Tuesday, very nice it is too, I like the seat behind the driver that's under the stairs, - very cosy :)

The back doors are a bit slow to open and close though.

Jim

Established Member
I was on the 24 on Wednesday, very nice it is too, I like the seat behind the driver that's under the stairs, - very cosy :)

The back doors are a bit slow to open and close though, & the alarm is quite usless (starts when they are shutting)

As you can see, my opinion is the same as Mojo's:p

I do like them, just forgot to take any shots

Dave A

Yep, a very nice bus, and lets not forget its "helping the enviroment"!

Sprog

Established Member
Awwww :sad: When i saw the topic title i thought u ment '24' as in the TV series on Sky One :sad: *grumbles*

Very dissapointed............

DLA365

laverack222 said:
I dug up this from Alexander Dennis' own site:

http://www.alexander-dennis.com/enviro400/intro.htm
That picture is just a doctored version of the Enviro 500, which has been in service in Hong Kong for 4 years.

Two companies have Enviro 400 buses in London:

Metroline who class them as TE's and mostly run on the 24 (though there has been a report if it straying onto the 17):
http://jimmyshengukbuses2.fotopic.net/p24691415.html

Stagecoach who has one example (also known as the Spirit of London) and is only one of two buses operating in London with a LED display:
http://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co.uk/upload290106/SC 18500 nsf 260106 Gavin Francis.jpg

DLA365

spm_43030 said:
Its just a bus.............?
No it is an environmentally friendly mode of transport with a low floor, wheelchair ramp, space for buggies and for 67 seats for the Metroline version or 75 seats on the Spirit of London. Furthermore, it has a rounded front and rear, which is a bit like the Routemasters or RT's that ran in the streets of London .

Tom B

Established Member
I've not been on an LFDD in a few years, but how come it only manages to seat 67? Whereas older vehicles such as Olympians or Dommos could comfortably seat 78?

TAS

Cockfosters said:
I've not been on an LFDD in a few years, but how come it only manages to seat 67? Whereas older vehicles such as Olympians or Dommos could comfortably seat 78?
It's the wheelchair/buggy space with the tip up seats.

RJ

Established Member
I went on one today, very nice it was. All of a sudden all these fresh buses are appearing in London! There's the 06 reg Tridents on the 47, Metrobus Scanias on the 181/284 and electric buses on the 360. Sometimes I wonder where all the older low floors get cascaded to.

Sprinter

Also, many low floor buses do not have seats over the front wheelarches (like the Titan or Metrobus do) this araea being used for a luggage shelf instead, taking away 3-4 seats plus being London, most buses have a centre door, which takes up another 4 seats.

Which makes up about 7 lost seats, compared with step entrance buses like the Metrobus or Titan.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could also be that modern or refurb. buses are fitted with nicer seats which are bigger, whereas those nasty old things have those nasty seats that are very thin?

Dave A

joea1 said:
Sometimes I wonder where all the older low floors get cascaded to.
I can tell you!

Here, North London. Lets see...

382, my local route, low floor
143/326, other buses I take to work, low floor
299, 298, W6, W9, 232

To name a few!

And most of them are these old low floor types that always seem to be vandalised and have little leg room :mad:

Anyone know why they're sending them down ere...?

Gareth Hale

Y registration is not old... Over here we have buses from the 80's doing school runs, we have a 2004 bus. If your interested, its a Thomas Freightliner Bus, 71 Seater and its a Single Decker!

Tom B

Established Member
Y reg old! Most of our "new, accessible buses" are S reg!

Speaking of capacities, I was on a single decker yesterday which was seated as C70F! Though there was absolutely no legroom.

Jim

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Ah yes, the good old single decker Volvo B10 ULE's by chance?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
Surely that doesn't use up ELEVEN seats?!
Rear doors = 2-4 seats
Wheelchair/Buggy bay = 2-4 seats
Front wheelarches = 2 seats
Straight staircase = 2 seats

There you go, between 8 and 12 seats, depending on legroom and exact length of bus. Also don't forget that most/all older double decker buses came in a standard length, whereas the newer ones come in varying lengths which naturally also affects seating capacity.
--- edited ---
Cockfosters said:
First by any chance?

We have some N-reg ex-Glasgow Scania low floor buses which they present to us as "state of the art, modern, low-floor accessible buses" - yeah, right! :rolleyes:

Tom B

Established Member
How on earth did you guess :D.

-- Tom : just about to spent an hour and a half in town (45 mins there and back, 30 minutes factored in for delays due to general incompetence, 15mins buying things from town).

DLA365

Cockfosters said:
I've not been on an LFDD in a few years, but how come it only manages to seat 67?
Another point to bear in mind is that Metroline and First leave more legroom per seat on their newer buses, so they can fit fewer seats than other operators.

I don't see how straight staircases are more friendly - if you're at the top of the stairs and the driver suddenly brakes, you fall all the way to the bottom. Compared to a spiral staircase where you fall only 3-4 steps before you can grab onto a side panel.

Older buses are cascaded to parts of south London where vandalism seems to be common (eg. the initial batch of DLA's was sent to Thornton Heath once new buses arrived in Clapton for the 242). Sometimes the older buses are refurbished with hard seats (eg. the AVL's and PVL's of London Central) and Arriva fits hard Urban 90 seats to its new south London buses.

RJ

Established Member
Lately the S2xx JUA DLA buses have been turning up on local buses out of Norwood garage. My school mates like them, but I think the roof is too low.

BTW the routes out of Catford which were transferred to Metrobus Polhill (181, 284) have new 55/06 reg Scanias, and the old 51 reg ones have been partly transferred to Bromley. Saw one on the 227 yesterday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.